Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 9:04:13 AM EDT
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. This place is full of great AR-15 information.

I need help deciding on an AR-15. I've been shooting my friends' AR-15's, which are really cool free floated carbines.  I want one primarily for hunting with my brother but would also like to target shoot. What are some good brands? What barrel length should I get? I like the really short AR-15's, but I don't see them for sale anywhere very often. Are they custom? I would like a yankee hill free float tube like my friends have, and all of the cool accesories like lights and bayonets.

My current gun is a  Remington 870 Wingmaster w/ 30" barrell for home. Can you say "long gun"? Yeah, it's pretty sweet. And I'm a really good shot with it. I'm in no hurry to buy an AR-15 yet since I can't afford one, but I want to get the ball rolling on what I should get when the time comes. Maybe I'll buy a piece here and there and eventually have a full AR-15 by spring.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#1]
First, welcome to the board.

What do you mean by "really short AR-15's"? If you mean with barrels shorter than 16", they are registered with the BATF as short-barreled rifles (SBR) and require special paperwork.

As for what brand to buy, it's just like buying a car --some like Fords, some like Chevys. I prefer Colt or Bushmaster myself, but others make fine products as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a 16" Bushmaster and go from there
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I would recommend either RRA or Stag Arms but there are other good brands out there.

My advise also is buy your first AR and get familiar with it and then build your next one.

Once you get your first AR you will have Black Rifle Disease (BRD) and will want more.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Buy a 16" Bushmaster and go from there

+1 (or RRA, etc)

Welcome to the site!

ABCDR are the tops for AR brands
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Cant go wrong with the 16"

Bushmaster  Law Enforcement Carbine
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#6]
RRA!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Or if you want  a shorter barrel get a Bushmaster M-4 with a 14.5" barrel and a permanetly attached Phantom flashider (that way it is the legally required 16"). They don't show it on their website, you just have to ask for it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top