Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2005 6:57:43 PM EDT
I am looking at buying a new AR-15/M4 .223. I know everyone has a preference and from what I have read I am leaning to the RRA's or Colt's. I dont know much about RRA rifles but I know I like the Colt  Model LE6920 as I have seen that one. I know I want a detachable carry handle. I will add other stuff (light, scope, etc.) later once I get the rifle and shoot it some.

I will use the rifle primarily to just shoot for fun. And maybe shoot a few critters from time to time. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations as to which one? With a Colt are you paying more for the name or is it better quality than an RRA? Any opinions welcome!

Thank you!

Patrick
DFW, TX
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#1]
For your intended purpose, the RRA will serve you well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you are set on getting an M4, I would recommend an RRA CAR A4 in midlength
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're looking for a personal opinion...I would say go with the Colt.

But if not go with an ArmaLite.

Pat
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw a couple of Bushmaster carbines at CTD. One was $749.00 and the other $799.00. I don't remember if they were M4 configuration or 16" CAR.
Jim
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Apples and Apples.  Get which ever keeps your penis from getting soft.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I saw a couple of Bushmaster carbines at CTD. One was $749.00 and the other $799.00. I don't remember if they were M4 configuration or 16" CAR.
Jim

What is the difference between M4/AR/CAR??? I was at CTD right before Christmas and their selection was really thin on all guns.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#7]
dude, don't get a Colt. Great rifle, but you are paying approx. $500 dollars more for a 6920, mainly for the name and a few extra quality control steps at the factory. I have no doubt that Colt products work well, but if all you are doing is killing paper and ground hogs the small possibility that it may be barely more reliable isn't worth the extra dough (how's that for a run on sentence?). Not to mention that many people on the board seem to think RRA is equal in most ways and superior in some ways.... i.e. much better fit and finsh than on the often tool marked Colts.

Anyway, stick to one of the big names and I doubt you will go wrong. On a side note, when I got into ARs half a year ago the only brand I was interested in was Colt. Six months later I am buying an RRA Entry Tactical; all the hours I've spent on this terrible, addictive site have convinced me that it is the way to go. Good hunting!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#8]
AR stands for Armalite Rifle. The basic version has a 20" barrel and fixed buttstock.
M4 has a 14.5" barrel with a flash hider permantly attached to make the legal barrel length of 16". The CAR is short for carbine AR15. It has a 16" barrel. Both usually have telescoping buttstocks and various other features.

CTD had a meager selection? When did you go in? The Bushmasters were on the left on the back wall.
Jim
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Anyway, stick to one of the big names and I doubt you will go wrong. On a side note, when I got into ARs half a year ago the only brand I was interested in was Colt. Six months later I am buying an RRA Entry Tactical; all the hours I've spent on this terrible, addictive site have convinced me that it is the way to go. Good hunting!

Can you give me any details on the RRA Entry Tactical? I tried looking for description/pic on their site but didnt see it unless I was looking in the wrong place.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
AR stands for Armalite Rifle. The basic version has a 20" barrel and fixed buttstock.
M4 has a 14.5" barrel with a flash hider permantly attached to make the legal barrel length of 16". The CAR is short for carbine AR15. It has a 16" barrel. Both usually have telescoping buttstocks and various other features.

CTD had a meager selection? When did you go in? The Bushmasters were on the left on the back wall.
Jim

I went in a few day before Christmas to CTD. I noticed one or two ARs but usually their selection is MUCH bigger. A sales guy was even joking to a customer how crappy thier selection was due to the holiday demand.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh wait I think I found it:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR1251X&storeid=1&image=nbrentry.gif&CFID=6736607&CFTOKEN=39708468
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
dude, don't get a Colt. Great rifle, but you are paying approx. $500 dollars more for a 6920, mainly for the name and a few extra quality control steps at the factory. I have no doubt that Colt products work well, but if all you are doing is killing paper and ground hogs the small possibility that it may be barely more reliable isn't worth the extra dough (how's that for a run on sentence?). Not to mention that many people on the board seem to think RRA is equal in most ways and superior in some ways.... i.e. much better fit and finsh than on the often tool marked Colts.

+1  Well said.  the tac entry RRA is the way to go
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#13]
A,B,C,D,R

any one of em

i'd take the RRA over the colt though just b/c its cheaper
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I was in your same shoes a few months ago. Debating whether or not to get a RRA, Bushmaster, or Colt. I've read through all the post regarding each of these manufactures relating to all topics covered. I've gotten to hold/look over all three at the same time. And as a noob couldnt tell a huge difference between the three like models. The Rock River was nice but also had a nice waiting period to get one. I was swayed away by the bushmaster canted FSB stories, but since have realized that they werent as common as i thought they were. The other thing i was looking at was which was going to be the most reliable out of the box. I found both the RR and the bushmaster for 950 a little over $1000 with tax. The LE6920 was 1200. I ended up going with the Colt in large part because i couldnt find the RRA rifle that i wanted local in stock. Like everyone has mentioned before me, whether you go with RRA, Bushmaster or Colt. Your probably not going to have a problem with either of them. If you can find something cheap and are happy i'd get it, cause you can use whatever money you have to buy mags and ammo. At first when people kept posting "buy ammo and mags" i didnt really pay attention. But if you have a place that you can go shooting for cheap or even free like me. You are going to go through a ton of ammo, being excited with your new toy.

The one big thing i learned about bringing Colt up in these forms, is if your looking for a gun for what the gun can do. Many people on here with admit that colt is a reliable gun and super reliable straight out of the box. The people that bash colt bash the politics of the company. So keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#15]
You should treat yourself to a Colt........you know you deserve it
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want an RRA look at Legal Transfers LLC. they are an AR15.com industry partner and have the best prices on RRA rifles anywhere on the internet. ie. a 9mm car for $805... Unheard of.
Here is a link: http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=227878
I suggest that in the course of your research that you give these guys a call. Good luck, welcome to the site.
-Jls7
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:02:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Well money wise, you will save going with a RRA over Colt.  Though if money isnt an object, then go with the Colt.  RRA is a good manufacturer and am currently in the process of putting together my 2nd.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:00:06 AM EDT
[#18]
There is a lot more to a Colt than just the name.  Since it's a "carbine" I would take a long hard look at that Colt.

I have a question for the Colt fanboys, is a 6920 100% Mil-Spec or around 90% or what?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Buy the RRA, it'll do fine for you.

But,

You'll still want the Colt, which is probably the one you really want but dont want to spend the extra dough.
Being that you'll still want a Colt you'll end up buying it, then you'll have two
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:37:47 AM EDT
[#21]
If money is not a problem for you, get the Colt.

Better yet, GET BOTH!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I just bought my first RRA last week, I'm quite impressed....I have not owned a colt in years, I really do not see a reason for me to go back too one...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
....I will use the rifle primarily to just shoot for fun. ....

Based on your intentions, Get the RRA.  It will do what you want just fine at a lower cost.

The 6920 is a great carbine, but a little 'overkill' for your intentions.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
AR stands for Armalite Rifle. ...

Jim,
Minor correcton.

AR stands for 'ARmalite'.  There are ARs out there that are shotguns.  This is covered in numerous places including The Black Rifle and ARmalite's website.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Get the Colt...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Look at the oly's when we are at the range my target oly stomped 2 colts a bushy and one that I will leave unnamed due to the fact that it could have out done mine if it had a real shooter behind it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AR stands for Armalite Rifle. ...

Jim,
Minor correcton.

AR stands for 'ARmalite'.  There are ARs out there that are shotguns.  This is covered in numerous places including The Black Rifle and ARmalite's website.

Thanks Forest. I must be getting old.
Jim
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I have ahndeled both and to me the Quality is about the same.  I would go with a Rock River 16" Midlength.  I got one about 6 months ago and I absolutly love it.  

Colt does have some edges over RRA though - 4150 barrel, MP testing on it's bolts, etc, but to me this isn't a deciding factor in favor of Colt.  My RRA has a 4140 barrel (chrome lined) that will serve me just as well, but I'm not a high speed operator shooting full auto.  

From your description of your needs, there are others thay could serve you just as well and cost you a little bit less.  Olympic Arms makes inexpensive rifles with a life time warranty.  Many here will tell you that Oly is teh suck, but I have had very good luck with both of mine, and their barrels are extremely accurate.  My 16" lightweight Oly will turn in 5 round groups that I can cover with a quarter at 100 yards - using cheap WWB 45grain ammo, even 55gr UMC/WWB on a good day.  

I have found my Rock River to be of higher quality than my Oly's, but they're still good rifles that have never let me down over thousands of rounds - and cost quite a bit less.

-K
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you give me any details on the RRA Entry Tactical? I tried looking for description/pic on their site but didnt see it unless I was looking in the wrong place.

here dude:http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR1251X&storeid=1&image=nbrentry.gif&CFID=6131135&CFTOKEN=87126364  

This really is the way to go. One thing that keeps frusterating me is that people keep saying "for what you're doing RRA is fine"??? I dont get it. I would be interested to see how many cops, SWAT guys, and the like who own RRAs would come forward if I started a thread, people who trust their lives to the reliability of their weapon. In fact there was a thread a couple weeks ago asking people to post pics of their duty weapons, and I want to say half or more said they carry RRAs.
   I think I said it in an ealier post, but the only gun I wanted 6 months ago was a Colt 6920 and I called all sorts of people looking for a good price on one. Something interesting happened...the people I talked to trying to find a Colt (keeping in mind these people sell Colt,Bushie, RRA, etc.) would give me the price and then promptly tell me to buy a RRA. Called Impact Guns..."We have Colts in stock, but be honest I use RRA" Called AR15sales.com (Legal Transfers) and talked to Pete "I can get you a Colt if you want a rifle that works well but looks like shit. Have you looked at RRA?". He then told me about how most cops he knows prefer RRA.
   Now nobody will ever doubt that Colts are great; anyone who says Colt rifles suck is immediatly suspect. But I just don't believe they different enough to warrant spending $500 more. Frankly, until I hear one story of a quality control problem from RRA, I will not believe they are worth even $100 more (although they do have the sweet "M4" and "Law Enforcement Only" markings) So an RRA will serve you well in any situation, not just for plinking. I challenge anyone to come forward with a reason why RRA won't function well in most any role.
   Ok, I am off my soap box now. Good hunting buddy. Get an RRA Entry Tactical and make sure you get the Chrome Lined barrel....one thing they need to do is make that standard. Also, if it were me I would switch out the tactical carry handle for a standard A3. However, like all matters of AR preference, to each his own.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#30]
www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR1251X&storeid=1&image=nbrentry.gif&CFID=6131135&CFTOKEN=87126364

I always fricking forget to make it an active link....every stupid post. There you go jpa2161
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:37:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Put 100 rounds through both. The colt will seem painful after that
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Is it true that Colt AR-15's are not compatible with M-16's?
Might be another reason not to buy a Colt

Frank
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#33]
ok man, here are two more links that could helpar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=258884 that one i found interesting; the link is to a poll and you'll see that Colt and RRA are neck and neck. What is interesting is that RRA manages to pull about even, despite the fact that the model of RRA being voted on is a CAR carbine, not even an Entry Tactical. My guess is that if Entry Tactical would have been an option, RRA would have pulled in a few more votes.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=260375 about Colt and some cosmetic problems many rifles seem to have. Colts are not desgined for us civies, and the finish makes that clear....many arent too pretty. Not a big deal to many, still an awesome weapon that goes bang every time. But it to others, myself included, fit and finish is something I condsider when I spend money.

Ok man, you're on your own.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#34]
ok, I have been getting great advice and thanks to everyone! I am really looking at the RRA Entry Tactical. I am in DFW, TX and not sure of any dealers keeping this in stock regularly. Is this a common RRA to have? Worst case I will just have one ordered. RRA's site list the Entry starting at $950.

Do I need a chrome-moly barrel?

JP
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#35]
go to ar15sales.com/ best prices around. Pete is sweet and will treat you well. I know ADCO firearms will hook you up too, steve is a good guy. Remeber man, you shouldn't be paying more than $850 for one with all the features and chrome lined barrel.

And yes the Entry Tacticals are by far the most popular RRA, everyone loves them it seems. Defiently get a Chrome Lined Barrel, much easier to clean. Don't get the moly. Also, try to order it over the internet, as this will help you avoid sales tax (I think thats how it works anyway). I want to say that AR15.sales and ADCO both have them in stock.

You are making a good choice man, keep us informed and ask any other questions you need to.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I am looking at buying a new AR-15/M4 .223. I know everyone has a preference and from what I have read I am leaning to the RRA's or Colt's. I dont know much about RRA rifles but I know I like the Colt  Model LE6920 as I have seen that one. I know I want a detachable carry handle. I will add other stuff (light, scope, etc.) later once I get the rifle and shoot it some.

I will use the rifle primarily to just shoot for fun. And maybe shoot a few critters from time to time. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations as to which one? With a Colt are you paying more for the name or is it better quality than an RRA? Any opinions welcome!

Thank you!

Patrick
DFW, TX

RRA or Bushmaster these are the best on the market IMHO
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:06:38 AM EDT
[#37]
You need the chrome lined one! The Colt is the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#38]
i have a 6920 and i dont understand what people are talking about when they speak negatively of colt in regards to fit and finish. the main reason i bought this rifle was for shtf, and i am very glad i went with the 6920. the 4150 barrel, m4 feed ramps,the quality control, and i think that it came with a heavy buffer. anyway, i do know that i could have spent less and had that money for other stuff, but i am glad i didnt. as a matter of a fact, if i do buy another one, or ten, i will go with colts, even a few more 6920.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:05:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Is it true that Colt AR-15's are not compatible with M-16's?
Might be another reason not to buy a Colt

Frank

First off, NO, it is not true.

There are some components that are not interchangeable - but only because the law says so.

There is a plethora of information on the differences, commonalities, and nuances of the AR15 and M16 on this site.

But the sum of it all is that the Colt is the preferred AR - and M16............politics aside

But then again, there is not much political about the AR15  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top