Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/26/2005 10:35:28 AM EDT
Anyone done this? The tube in question is this one on a 20" A2 type upper.

Anyone done this? Will it hold up to, say, a vertical foregrip added on? What kind of TPI did you thread the float tube with? Is this the dumbest idea ever?

TIA,

jim
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never done it but it seems like a good way to save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been considering this too,I really don't want all those empty rails with rubber covers to fall off when I only need one or two to mount something on.I have seen bolt on rails from JP Rifles,but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
Anyone done this?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:25:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I was going to do this instead of doing a real four rail on my RRA . When I looked into it you where going to spend about $60 just on the rails plus shipping . Than I saw a bravo co sale and ended up with a YHM rail for about $90 or so . The $30 in savings wasn't worth the hassle in my eyes .
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was going to do this instead of doing a real four rail on my RRA . When I looked into it you where going to spend about $60 just on the rails plus shipping . Than I saw a bravo co sale and ended up with a YHM rail for about $90 or so . The $30 in savings wasn't worth the hassle in my eyes .

That sounds good... but how do you replace the float tube? How do you ensure the top rail lines up with the top of the receiver?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sounds good... but how do you replace the float tube? How do you ensure the top rail lines up with the top of the receiver?

That's easy . You send it to Derek at AZEX and say "Hey man when you put this tube on here can you cut the barrel to 14.5# and stick this phantom on it at the end . Oh yea and swap out the FSB with the no ban one in the box . Thanx . "
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's easy . You send it to Derek at AZEX and say "Hey man when you put this tube on here can you cut the barrel to 14.5# and stick this phantom on it at the end . Oh yea and swap out the FSB with the no ban one in the box . Thanx . "

LOL

So it's voice command? EXCELLENT!!!  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Man I did it before I got the ARMS rail system that I wanted.
I will post a pic with it on the gun.
Rail with vertical grip and viking light holder and light.

WORKED GREAT.

JUST -----
Drill holes in tube where you want them.
SCREW IT ON to the gun.
"This has to be done before you put the rail on or the tube will not spin on since the gas tube gets in the way of the screws that bolt the rail on."
Anyhow - once the tube is on slide the screws into the tube.
I held the screw in place with a "SCEWER" and slowely turn the screw into the nut.

( A little tough and time consuming )  but fun also.

THen  WHALLA    THE RAIL IS ON..

PIC-

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Man I did it before I got the ARMS rail system that I wanted.
I will post a pic with it on the gun.
Rail with vertical grip and viking light holder and light.

WORKED GREAT.

JUST -----
Drill holes in tube where you want them.
SCREW IT ON to the gun.
"This has to be done before you put the rail on or the tube will not spin on since the gas tube gets in the way of the screws that bolt the rail on."
Anyhow - once the tube is on slide the screws into the tube.
I held the screw in place with a "SCEWER" and slowely turn the screw into the nut.

( A little tough and time consuming )  but fun also.

THen  WHALLA    THE RAIL IS ON..

That's pretty much what I was thinking! Where did you get the rails from? I was thinking about putting 3 on mine - bottom and sides. *maybe* the top depending on where the gas tube falls. I was going to make a cradle for the upper and use a drill press to drill the holes. Then tap them for some button head Allen screws or something.

Nice setup GETSUM!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:15:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Double tap .
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:15:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ A MO can't forget that .
LOL

So it's voice command? EXCELLENT!!!  

+ A MO can't forget that .
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top