Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2005 9:36:08 AM EDT
I have an offer for a 16" M4 contour barrel that I'm going to look at on Monday but another friend suggested I consider the Bushmaster ultralight barrel.  I'd be interested in any experience you have.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure what you are looking to hear.  I've got both, they both are fine.  If you put a rail on your weapon, you probably won't feel the difference between the two.  The LW heats up quicker, and cools down a little quicker.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#2]
factory form the lightweight is a great handling rifle.

but as stickman stated, the lw will heat faster but also cool faster. im going on my third superlight bbl.

lightweight picture thread
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a Colt lightweight (other than the Kool-Aid stains, it's nearly the same as the Bushy) and this combined with a DD rail system makes for an extremely light and very versatile setup, IMO.  If it's not my favorite, I'm trying to figure out which I like better.  Maybe the Dissy with the chopped A2 barrel...................................

Heat up and cool down may cause some POI shifts, but you need to evaluate your needs and if pinpoint accuracy is a need, then maybe the light weight barrel isn't what you want.  If you want MOM (minute of man) accuracy through a large string of shots within a reasonable combat range, it will do you well.  If prolonged carry is an issue, I'd give it a hard look.  I toted an M4 type upper around in a carbine class and after 8 hours of intermittent carry and shooting, it gets heavy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#4]
My favorite AR right now is alight weight with a Bushy 16" pencil barrel. It is pretty damn accurate. Even afterit gets red hot, it still maintains very good accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
................... If prolonged carry is an issue, I'd give it a hard look.  I toted an M4 type upper around in a carbine class and after 8 hours of intermittent carry and shooting, it gets heavy.

Ugg! That's what I was afraid of. I was looking for a DPMS light weight, but my dealer was out, so now I have a M4 in transit. I wasn't patient enough to wait 4 weeks for the LW.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Mega lower, Clot M16 upper (no deflector, no f/a) with an Oly light weight 16 inch barrel, Colt bolt and carrier with no f/a notches and a RR 6 pos stock.

This is by far my favorite AR16.

I have a Bushmaster 16 inch light weight barrel coming in on Tuesday for another LW project, I'll let you know what you are missing.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Bushmaster A2 with the Superlite barrel. It is my favorite, so far.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I much prefer the lightweight.  You CAN tell the difference between it and a 14.5" M4, very noticable IMHO compared to the 16" M4.  I've been running the superlight weight for 2 years now and it's by far my favorite barrel.

For a rail I'd suggest the Daniel Defense 7.0, that rail system is the lightest you can get and is lighter than a set of oval M4 handguards (it's what I use on my LW barrel)
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the input.  My order went to Bushmaster today.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#11]
What a timely thread for me.  I ordered the LW assembly this weekend from Bushmaster to put on a CMT upper as my first Upper build.  Only problem is there is a 3-7 week backorder on the lightweight assembly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Had a Bushy light wieght 16" barrel and the point of impact shift at 30 yards was horrible after less then a hundred rounds. Pulled it off and replaced it with a bushy 16" fluted hbar. Not much heavier but much more accurate.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What a timely thread for me.  I ordered the LW assembly this weekend from Bushmaster to put on a CMT upper as my first Upper build.  Only problem is there is a 3-7 week backorder on the lightweight assembly.

They have the parts, buy them and build your own upper.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Are all the LW barrels the same diameter and weight? If not, does anyone have info on this?

My guess is they are all close.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:09:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Are all the LW barrels the same diameter and weight? If not, does anyone have info on this?

Bushy and the Colt are pretty simiar.

The CMMG is a turned down HBAR ans will be an ounce (or fraction thereof) heavier due to the part under the FSB that wasn't turned down.  I don't think you'd notice the difference.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Bushmaster sent me the wrong pencil barrel, a post ban vice a pre ban.

So I am going to keep it, just sent it to Kurt and have him cut off a couple inches and pin a Phantom on it.....

God works in mysterious ways indeed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#17]
+1 on the lightweight barrel.  I wish Colt made a version of the 6520 with a A3 upper.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Bushmaster was backordered so I called Ameetec and they had light wiet profile barrel.  I think it's a DPMS but I'm not sure.  I got it yesterday.  Sighted it in today.  I didn't have the best rest to shoot off of and still managed 2 inch groups at 100 yards at 4X.  But the group I liked the best was the string of 15 fired in about 15 seconds using the sam make shift rest.  Other than 3 fliers all the shots were clustered in 5 inch group pefectly centered.  No indication that the POA was moving as the barrel heated up (It was 75 degrees here today too!).  I REALLY like the handling qualities.  Much easier to carry with my sling, shoulders effortlessly and feels quicker.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top