BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/7/2005 8:26:54 AM EDT
As I was reading these interesting threads, I couldn't help notice alot of people talk about  their "SHTF" ARs and the type of gears and accessories they have on their ARs for that special "SHTF" situation.  It  seems alot of the people are touchy about the type of gears on their rifles and spent alot of money to get top battle proven gears for such situations.  Just curious, has anyone (no police or military please) every used their ARs with the expensive, battle proven gears in any "SHTF" situation?  
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, people did in N.O., but its generally considered impolite to ask specifics unless they offer to discuss the events.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes, people did in N.O.

There was a fairly hair-raising account in the last issue of American Rifleman. No shots fired and nothing specific to the gun (except that it was an AK not an AR). Pretty "close to the edge" with some of the local element though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I've bayonetted stuff because I ran out of ammo..........but that paper target asked for it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#4]

There was a fairly hair-raising account in the last issue of American Rifleman. No shots fired and nothing specific to the gun (except that it was an AK not an AR). Pretty "close to the edge" with some of the local element though.

That was a good article. If any of us ever use our weapons in a so called SHTF scenario, it's likely to be that type.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That was a good article. If any of us ever use our weapons in a so called SHTF scenario, it's likely to be that type.

yup...

or zombies, of course.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've bayonetted stuff because I ran out of ammo..........but that paper target asked for it.

Darn it..... you beat me to it

Chicago area Wiz?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Darn it..... you beat me to it

Chicago area Wiz?

Hell no.

Whiteside County.

Farm country

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#8]
No SHTF use, but the irons have been working great at wacking armadillos.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#9]
By the time I made it home after the hurricane, all the SHTF stuff was over, as the military 'took' care of the problems.

I'll tell you this:
I have made changes to my SHTF AR since the hurricane.  I added a M900A as holding a 6-d Mag light and a AR at the same time was a bit difficult.  I also picked up a Beta Mag (never know when your going to have a 100 people running towards you ).

If I would have been there a few weeks earlier, it most likely whould have been used......
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:46:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a generator that hardly ever gets used. But I spent some time picking one out. I did some research into reliable brands and engine manufacturers, the proper wiring for the auto-start and emergency power breaker box. In addition, I have it "exercise" weekly and perform routine maintenance religiously. It's not a cheap setup.

I went to all this expense and effort for one reason - just in case. That's the same thing I do for many emergency contingency supplies and tools. Self-protection is definately on that list.

I'm sure this is the way many here would answer your question. Funny thing is, I hope to never need this stuff!
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:08:35 AM EDT
[#11]
My "brother" speaks for me.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I always have one SHTF dream that is very detailed and realistic, almost like a premonition or something. It's night and there are burning neighborhoods everywhere, my friends and family are in our trucks bugging out to north Florida and eventually trying to make it out west. We have 4-5 armed men with AR's and heavy rifles. We subsquently get into many shoot-outs with looters and crazed armed gangs. It is realistic down to the mag changes and occasional foul-ups, complete with bullets zinging past our head and the drowning sounds of gunfire. One of the trucks gets a flat going off-road trying to get around a crowded highway area, and we have to patrol in the dark with our weapon-mounted lights. It's very stressful and realistic. I hope it never comes true. I also remember being really hungry in the dream but there is no food around. Like I always said, my ass will probably be found starved to death, slumped over thousands of rounds of ammo and dozens of weapons, since I don't stockpile any food, gas or water.

Well as far as actual SHTF use, i'm sure there are plenty of people with desert combat experience on this board.

- rem
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Well as for the "SHTF" thats the line I use to talk my wife in to letting me buy more guns!!

usmc5593
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:36:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I always have one SHTF dream that is very detailed and realistic, almost like a premonition or something. It's night and there are burning neighborhoods everywhere, my friends and family are in our trucks bugging out to north Florida and eventually trying to make it out west. We have 4-5 armed men with AR's and heavy rifles. We subsquently get into many shoot-outs with looters and crazed armed gangs. It is realistic down to the mag changes and occasional foul-ups, complete with bullets zinging past our head and the drowning sounds of gunfire. One of the trucks gets a flat going off-road trying to get around a crowded highway area, and we have to patrol in the dark with our weapon-mounted lights. It's very stressful and realistic. I hope it never comes true. I also remember being really hungry in the dream but there is no food around. Like I always said, my ass will probably be found starved to death, slumped over thousands of rounds of ammo and dozens of weapons, since I don't stockpile any food, gas or water.

Well as far as actual SHTF use, i'm sure there are plenty of people with desert combat experience on this board.

- rem

I have a similar dream.  It involves the robot aliens coming down from the wheel ship in the sky to assimilate us and I bug out with a group of Playboy bunnies who were ex special forces snipers in former Soviet countries.  I base all my gear selection on this scenario.

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:42:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Just spent three weeks in NO and tell ya the truth I was running a carbine with A1 sites and nothing more than a flashlight mounted and a ready mag.Guy I was with had a flattop with all kinds of shit hanging off of it.After the first week he took alot of that stuff off.The weight issue came into play as we were on foot alot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well as for the "SHTF" thats the line I use to talk my wife in to letting me buy more guns!!

usmc5593

+1
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:49:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I have a similar dream.  It involves the robot aliens coming down from the wheel ship in the sky to assimilate us and I bug out with a group of Playboy bunnies who were ex special forces snipers in former Soviet countries.  I base all my gear selection on this scenario.

awesome
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:54:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Say, how do you feel about trading dreams?

- rem
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#19]
A member did use his AR to defend his jet ski from a night assault.

I will not say who ti was but I think they could have been Naked
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:15:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say, how do you feel about trading dreams?

- rem

Hell, I'd throw in a 6pack just for a hit off that pipe!

wganz

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#21]

All I can say is buy the best you can reasonably afford because if you ever did need it its to late then to do anything about it.  That goes for ammo also.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have a generator that hardly ever gets used. But I spent some time picking one out. I did some research into reliable brands and engine manufacturers, the proper wiring for the auto-start and emergency power breaker box. In addition, I have it "exercise" weekly and perform routine maintenance religiously. It's not a cheap setup.

I went to all this expense and effort for one reason - just in case. That's the same thing I do for many emergency contingency supplies and tools. Self-protection is definately on that list.

I'm sure this is the way many here would answer your question. Funny thing is, I hope to never need this stuff!

Ecellent point.  But it's my impression that "SHTF" is an excuse for a lot of people to buy combat related accessories (or at least very cool stuff) for their ARs.  If they used the same sort of logical examination of the potential scenario for using said rifle as you did for figuring out that you needed an autostarting generator of a particular rating that needs specific maintenance, and then did all the research and homework to find the right combination of weapon and accessories to handle that secnario-including regular and realistic training-then there'd be a whole lot less bling and a lot more "my weekly practicing at the range seems to have eroded the throat on my chrome lined barrel" situations.

I'm not going to have to deal with rising water where I live, but I may be isolated to some extent by rising water elsewhere in town, so I have good alternate routes planned out.  My home alarm system has fire, police and ambulance panic buttons.  I'm never "out of food" in the house, even for my pets.  And I try to realistically gage what's going on in my city and region to grasp the potential for bad things to happen.  None of that includes being able to lay hands on several thousand rounds of ammunition and dozens of mags, or a golf bag full of differently configured ARs to use against potential zombies, Red Army soldiers, aliens from outer space, etc.  It's just not realistic here.  I'm not incapable of defending my home and family, but for the threats here and now, that doesn't take more gear than my whole family can carry, it takes preparedness and quick thinking-and the fact that most bad guys know that Mr. Mossberg is MY friend, not theirs.

It's just my 2¢, but that's what I see from this seat.  I've got no complaint against people who collect cool stuff for their ARs, but I have personal issues with just how practical that sort of thing ever will be.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ecellent point.  But it's my impression that "SHTF" is an excuse for a lot of people to buy combat related accessories (or at least very cool stuff) for their ARs.  If they used the same sort of logical examination of the potential scenario for using said rifle as you did for figuring out that you needed an autostarting generator of a particular rating that needs specific maintenance, and then did all the research and homework to find the right combination of weapon and accessories to handle that secnario-including regular and realistic training-then there'd be a whole lot less bling and a lot more "my weekly practicing at the range seems to have eroded the throat on my chrome lined barrel" situations.

I'm not going to have to deal with rising water where I live, but I may be isolated to some extent by rising water elsewhere in town, so I have good alternate routes planned out.  My home alarm system has fire, police and ambulance panic buttons.  I'm never "out of food" in the house, even for my pets.  And I try to realistically gage what's going on in my city and region to grasp the potential for bad things to happen.  None of that includes being able to lay hands on several thousand rounds of ammunition and dozens of mags, or a golf bag full of differently configured ARs to use against potential zombies, Red Army soldiers, aliens from outer space, etc.  It's just not realistic here.  I'm not incapable of defending my home and family, but for the threats here and now, that doesn't take more gear than my whole family can carry, it takes preparedness and quick thinking-and the fact that most bad guys know that Mr. Mossberg is MY friend, not theirs.

It's just my 2¢, but that's what I see from this seat.  I've got no complaint against people who collect cool stuff for their ARs, but I have personal issues with just how practical that sort of thing ever will be.

Yeah.  I bought a cold water, inflatable survival suit in case the IceCaps melt.  Can never be too prepared.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#24]
It is fine to have a tricked-out AR, however it is probably more important to have food, water, transportation, shelter, energy, and a plan.  If you have these things and only an 870 12 guage or a $125 surplus yugo SKS and some ammo, then you are far better off than having $2000 worth of rifle and kit with only 3 snickers bars and a 2liter joe cola.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm guessing somewhere near the same number as have used their fire insurance policy on their homes.

ETA:
(You all do have good insurance on your homes...don't you?)

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#26]
GHPorter makes some excellent points. Each one of us must analyze our realistic potential needs on an individual basis. I'm not sure we can really be ready for a SHTF scenario - we have no idea what shape it will take. But we can simply be prepared for whatever may come our way.

In reality, if it all goes to shit, you'll need to be moving NOW. Taking your entire arsenal may not be an option. What if you can't get home before you have to leave the area? How many of us have well equiped BOB's?

It might very well come down to those supplies and that SAR-1 (AK) with folder and 6 full mags of ammo I keep with my truck BOB.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It is fine to have a tricked-out AR, however it is probably more important to have food, water, transportation, shelter, energy, and a plan.  If you have these things and only an 870 12 guage or a $125 surplus yugo SKS and some ammo, then you are far better off than having $2000 worth of rifle and kit with only 3 snickers bars and a 2liter joe cola.

I'm kind of in the middle on this one. I realize there's a pretty good chance we could have some major "disruption" of modern amenities where I live. A serious earthquake is probably the most likely scenario. I don't dwell on the civil unrest/lawlessness aspects. If that happens my AR will probably stay in the gun cabinet and the shotgun will stand at the ready in case there is no other option but to defend home and loved ones. I have more ammo stashed than most normal people would deem necessary but nothing like some of the folks on this forum. I consider myself reasonably prepared for unrest but  I view that possibility as highly unlikely.

As for food, water, etc. I have all my camping gear ready to go. That includes stoves, lanterns, sleeping bags, etc. It's always packed and always ready. I have two cases of MREs on the shelf but otherwise just the normal food stores. As for water I have 10 gallons in plastic "cans" that I try to change out every few months. I put a little bleach in there to keep the water from getting too rank. I've also got 40 gallons in the water heater and whatever is in the toilet tanks.

I need to stockpile some basic first aid stuff, some more food and personal hygene items for me and the Mrs. (why is that women have to make an emergency trip to the store each month? Can't they plan for something they KNOW will happen?) and maybe even some cat food. We went through all this during the earthquake scare here in Missouri in '91 but I've gotten lax since then.

I guess bottom line for me is that being prepared is good and we could all probably be more prepared than we are. But to get nutty about it isn't healthy either.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#28]
is there any more details to the American Riflemen article mentioned?  Kind of interested in what the whole article said.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

- rem

Not to smart, are ya?
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Not wanting to hi-jack the thread, but it is related.  My brother and I have been discussing this lately.  We ended up discussing the feasability and the pros and cons of actually "bugging out" versus staying put.  

Like some have said, I don't necessarily view civil unrest as a primary concern (my area is rural with scattered small towns 10-20 miles apart).  I fear more of the natural disaster thing.  A big concern for those in my area, those that are actually concerned about this sort of thing, is the spoiling of drinking water.  I live on the shores of Lake Huron and people get concerned about the potential of lake poisoning by terrorists, shipping spills, etc.

So that is the process my family and I are going through.  When is enough enough?  My family and I tend to try to look at things realistically.  With a thought more towards food, water, etc.  How 'bout some tips, or just some advice?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
PatG.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Nobody is stating the most important fact about gear. All the gear or weapons in the world don't mean shit if you can't survive long enough to use them.
I'm seeing more and more people flaunting the newest and baddest gear, but less people are stressing the importance of training. I know alot of people here are serious about training, and that's how it should be. What kills me are the guys who have thousands of dollars worth of gear they may never use(which is fine, I like cool toys as much as the next guy), but have never been through any type of formal firearms or survival training. If you want to drop several hundred dollars for a chest rig that holds 70 AR mags that's cool, but I fully believe that money would be better spent on a Carbine or Defensive Handgun class. Being prepared is more than having a cool load bearing pack, Digi-cam BDU's and a bitchin' AR. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I lost my faith in law enforcement after NO.  They swore to uphold the constitution but then when the time was right, they swooped down and ripped guns away from people’s hands and took people from their own homes.  They came from all over the US to just that.  Most did help and rescue people. But face it; it was law enforcement officers under the direction of the Mayor and Chief of police that is causing you all to ask this SHTF question.  It’s a sad deal.  I have backed law enforcement my entire life.  But I now think that when the shit hits the fan, you can’t count on anyone but your own family and the tools you have in your bag.   I say fuck SWAT.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Just spent three weeks in NO and tell ya the truth I was running a carbine with A1 sites and nothing more than a flashlight mounted and a ready mag.Guy I was with had a flattop with all kinds of shit hanging off of it.After the first week he took alot of that stuff off.The weight issue came into play as we were on foot alot.

Your friend  couldn't have made it through WWII.  A Garand is helluva lot more heavier than an AR with add on's.  Someone needs to hit the gym.

That being said my AR has an EOTech on it, a BUIS and in the nest few weeks a tac light.  Other than a good sling I don't know what other add on's you would want.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
By the time I made it home after the hurricane, all the SHTF stuff was over, as the military 'took' care of the problems.

I'll tell you this:
I have made changes to my SHTF AR since the hurricane.  I added a M900A as holding a 6-d Mag light and a AR at the same time was a bit difficult.  I also picked up a Beta Mag (never know when your going to have a 100 people running towards you ).

If I would have been there a few weeks earlier, it most likely whould have been used......

I came close to using mine. Being the house got flooded out and I couldn't get hom, I stayed with my parents in Luling. Power was off for about ten days and all the looters and thugs leaving the City was passing through Luling on Hwy 90. A couple of them came walking down my mother's street in the middle of the night. My brother grabed his hand gun and I grabbed my AR. When the people seen us sitting outside with our guns, they turned around left. All I used were gen 2 night vision goggles and my standard Bushy M4.

And yes, I was actually scared because i didn't know if they were armed or not.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#35]
"BOB"

Battery Operated Boyfriend?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
is there any more details to the American Riflemen article mentioned?  Kind of interested in what the whole article said.

IIRC a guy and his SO were getting ready to GTFO of new orleans when he sees a group of suspicious looking individuals on the street eyeballing his vehicle. He slings his ak and tells them to back off. They see the rifle and turn tail.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Very well put.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very well put.

unless them snickers is king sized
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

__

Yup! Understood...though peace of mind is a great thing!

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- rem

Not to smart, are ya?

Pot...meet kettle....

Couldn't resist
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I lost my faith in law enforcement after NO.  They swore to uphold the constitution but then when the time was right, they swooped down and ripped guns away from people’s hands and took people from their own homes.  They came from all over the US to just that.  Most did help and rescue people. But face it; it was law enforcement officers under the direction of the Mayor and Chief of police that is causing you all to ask this SHTF question.  It’s a sad deal.  I have backed law enforcement my entire life.  But I now think that when the shit hits the fan, you can’t count on anyone but your own family and the tools you have in your bag.   I say fuck SWAT.

Were you even there?!  Or you're just going over what you've heard on the fact-finding internet

and the "nothing but the truth" news media? (I see VA under your avatar)

Until you have been shot at in pitch black darkness, trying to deliver supplies to the very people

that are attempting to kill you; or were a scared shitless home-owner in your attic because the

house is going under water,   you need to A) insert foot in mouth , B)pull your head out of your

rear orifice, or C)make no comment about which you know nothing about.  Better yet, try

D) All of the above.

This thread was about SHTF weapons and changes made to them; not your "opinions" about

what has/is happening in N.O.

If you were, please give everyone some real facts.

Edited to add: As far as realizing you can only depend on yourself and family in times of crisis;

No shit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Yes, people did in N.O., but its generally considered impolite to ask specifics unless they offer to discuss the events.

Thanks Stick . . . . . . . . .
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#43]
I used my SHTF rifle yesterday. I heard a funny noise downstairs and decided to check it out. Anything worth checking out is worth checking out armed. So I grabbed my AR with the uber tactical wally world wonder light attached and searched the house.  All I found was a cat with a guilty look on his face.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I used my SHTF rifle yesterday. I heard a funny noise downstairs and decided to check it out. Anything worth checking out is worth checking out armed. So I grabbed my AR with the uber tactical wally world wonder light attached and searched the house.  All I found was a cat with a guilty look on his face.

Did you do unnecessary yet tacticool shoulder rolls at questionable times like in SWAT?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Just get a pair of Thermal Detection Goggles and you could have saved yourself a trip around the house.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Maybe it's been said, but how about being in good physical condition...exercise, etc.  You have the rifle, food, water, ammo, but in the event you actually need to WALK with all this shit, can you do it?  

When 9-11 occured, I lived about 35 miles west of NYC, way in the burbs, even rural by NJ standards.  Something to think about for the Rural located folks living near a rather large city like Chicago, Detroit, NYC, etc is where are the millions of people that live in these big cities going to flee to when something horrific occurs in at the Big cities.  Shit, if NYC get's hit with a major chemical, biological or dirty bomb, where are the 12 million people going to run to.  Yup, right out to your backyard in the sticks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC a guy and his SO were getting ready to GTFO of new orleans when he sees a group of suspicious looking individuals on the street eyeballing his vehicle. He slings his ak and tells them to back off. They see the rifle and turn tail.

you have recalled correctly.

On newstands now

edit:  Actually he UN-slings his AK
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#48]
The point of

ARs with the expensive, battle proven gears
is to have it if the need arises rather than need it and be SOL with out it
God helps those that help themselveshug.gif
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I "used" my AR during Katrina in that I slept outside in my hammock over all my stockpiled suplies with my AR next to me.  It's just about bone stock, afer that I added a light.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Maybe it's been said, but how about being in good physical condition...exercise, etc.  You have the rifle, food, water, ammo, but in the event you actually need to WALK with all this shit, can you do it?  

When 9-11 occured, I lived about 35 miles west of NYC, way in the burbs, even rural by NJ standards.  Something to think about for the Rural located folks living near a rather large city like Chicago, Detroit, NYC, etc is where are the millions of people that live in these big cities going to flee to when something horrific occurs in at the Big cities.  Shit, if NYC get's hit with a major chemical, biological or dirty bomb, where are the 12 million people going to run to.  Yup, right out to your backyard in the sticks.

Maybe slightly OT, but definitely worth repeating...all of it.

To the original thread:  No I've never had to use an AR in a SHTF.  But I try to be as ready for such things as I can.  Food, water, shelter, other gear as well as confidence in my AR and weapon equipment.
--If its battle proven its got to be built tough, right?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top