Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/12/2005 1:33:51 PM EDT
Anyone know which way to turn the castle nut to get it loose on the bushmaster? Trying to put my new Vltor stock on, and the thing won't budge. I was turning it left at first, but then noticed that the replacement castle nut from Vltor screws to the right down the receiver extension, bringing it away from the lower. I figured that was the right way but either way the Bushmaster's castle nut is not budging. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm sitting here trying to get this done and I want to get it done tonight... I've bent the car nut removal tool about 4 ways, now I'm trying to hammer-tap it and it's not budging. thanks,

- rem
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anyone know which way to turn the castle nut to get it loose on the bushmaster?

It should be counter-clockwise to loosen it (looking at it from the rear.)
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Dremel it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#3]
get a better wrench

looking from the rear it goes counter-clockwise, lefty loosey- righty tighty
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got 2 different wrenches, one that uses 3 points and one that uses 1 but I can't get it to budge lefty-loosy yet....

- rem
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#6]
if you can get the lower in a vise either with the block or some rags use a punch on the flats and drive it in the direction you need to go.

it might have loctite on it or probably staked.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You need a special kind of greese... its called elbow grease !

Remove the upper from the lower. Put the lower receiver down with the safety facing up. Use the wrench that locks in to three places. Hold the notches in the cut outs with your support hand. With your strong hand, push down on the wrench, lean in to it if you have to. The pistiol grip will keep the reciever from moving much. Be careful though, if you slip with the wrench, you will bust a knuckle!

This is the method I use as well.  I have even removed staked extensions easily this way.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#8]
apply heat. I use a MAPP gas torch.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm having the same problem with my Bushmaster.  So far I have destroyed two RRA spanner (3 prong) wrenches.  The prongs give before the castle nut does.  I've used a heat gun along with the wrench and all I'm doing is shredding the threads on my stock.   Yes, I'm turning it the correct way.  My other Bushmaster was a piece of cake compared to this one.  Any suggestions???  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I broke my spanner wrench last night trying to do the same thing!  I ordered three different types of spanner wrenches today from Brownell's!  Looks like the Rock River Arms wrench is probably the best one out there.. Made from steel, not crappy pot metal.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
apply heat. I use a MAPP gas torch.

+1

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:15:09 AM EDT
[#13]
This is the reason i dont use Loctite on or stake the ext tube threads,never needed it yet!
I like to keep mine where i can change things around.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:56:02 AM EDT
[#14]
 Well lets see, the last two BM's have been really tough.  The first one I ended up cutting off, even after using heat.  The second one, I managed to break it loose with a punch, and then I could finish up with my wrench.  Both of these were straight from the factory, and both of them had something in the threads.

Weazer  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:08:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:08:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Damn them!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:37:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Well lets see, the last two BM's have been really tough.  The first one I ended up cutting off, even after using heat.  The second one, I managed to break it loose with a punch, and then I could finish up with my wrench.  Both of these were straight from the factory, and both of them had something in the threads.

Weazer  

Is Bushmaster using Loc-Tite on the threads of the tube???

That would suck!

no kidding, I used loctite on a tube I used for a Ruger 10/22 - the reciever extension was torn off with the adapter from the stoack and the stock broke in two---Maybe I'll go for a M1 carbine look with the 10/22, using the factory stock I only managed to save the actual buttstock
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I STILL need to know how to get this thing off.  Anyone???  If I don't, I'll have to sell my ASP sling and DD ambi...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I STILL need to know how to get this thing off.  Anyone???  If I don't, I'll have to sell my ASP sling and DD ambi...

Cut the nut on opposites sides with a Dremel.  Get a new tube and nut and start over.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Channel locks and adjustable pliers work fine for me
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That would suck!

I was wondering that, too.  I had a factory postban Bushy M4 (with permanently extended stock), and when I was trying to take it off after the AWB ended, it took me like 10 mins to get it off!  My wrench must've slipped at least 7 or 8 times, and I jacked up the threads on the old fixed telestock.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cut the nut on opposites sides with a Dremel.  Get a new tube and nut and start over.

I may have to do that.  Where can I get a new tube and nut?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I may have to do that.  Where can I get a new tube and nut?

Get an Vltor or a CMT tube and castle nut from one of the vendors on the board.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#24]

You could also use the simple Portamong tool, which doesn't have the hassle of electrical cords.  It will do the job in about 1 to 2 seconds.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I saw this in Iraq as well. We were issued Bushmaster shorties. Guys who want to put Vltor stocks on their weapons and/or the one point sling plates were having a bitch of a time getting the castle nuts off.

I had no such issue with my pre-ban Bushmaster back in the States.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#26]
My preban Bushmaster was no problem at all.  I'm going to cut the damn thing off with my dremel.  So what vendors have the parts I need?  And how difficult is it to replace the tube?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Why would you have to replace the tube?   Just cut the ring off; Don't Dremel all the way through it and into the tube.  In fact, in my photo I only cut a groove into the ring, then stuck a big screwdriver in the groove and twisted.  POP!  The ring snaps.   How much is a new ring... 100Kc?  (3 to 5 US Dollars?)

If you use a Portamong, you don't even have to replace the ring!  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My preban Bushmaster was no problem at all.  I'm going to cut the damn thing off with my dremel.  So what vendors have the parts I need?  And how difficult is it to replace the tube?

Go here and order an Vltor tube and an RRA castle nut.  Just unscew the old tube and screw on the new one.  Make sure you pull the end plate all the way back so as not to damage the spring for the takedown pin detent.  Also, make sure the buffer retainer and spring don't come flying out when you unscrew the tube.

Edited to add:  If you change to a mil-spec tube (the Bushy is not), you'll have to get a new stock.  If you don't want to go this route, order new parts from Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Why would you have to replace the tube?   Just cut the ring off; Don't Dremel all the way through it and into the tube.  

In fact, in my photo I only cut a groove into the ring, then stuck a big screwdriver in the groove and twisted.  POP!  The ring snaps.   How much is a new ring... 100Kc?  (3 to 5 US Dollars?)

Because I trashed the threads using the RRA wrench.  It looks like shit now.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I have an extra castle nut at work I can send you.  I might have an extra Vltor tube too, but I won't be back to work until next year.    
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have an extra castle nut at work I can send you.  I might have an extra Vltor tube too, but I won't be back to work until next year.    

That would be great!  Will it work with my BM stock though?  Maybe I could trade you something for the parts.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Will it work with my BM stock though?

No, sorry.  Maybe its time to dump your Bushy stock and get a whole Vltor package!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#34]
If anyone is nice enough to send me a castle nut I could probably use my old tube and paint over the scratches...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#36]
IM sent.  - Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

That would suck!

Bushmaster had put red loc-tite on both of my stocks, complete bitch to get those to come off. They also had blue loc-tite on the hand grip. I guess it beats having them fall apart but makes upgrades a bitch haha.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#38]
After I broke my first wrench I ended up taking a large brass punch and tapping it loose.  Of course it slipped once and I put a "dink" in one of the threads

img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/JeffCsr/51d1f4cf.jpg

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:19:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, if we're gonna post our "well-there-goes-that-tube" pictures, here's mine:

Edit - Yeah, that totally needed to be resized, sorry!!  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top