Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 8:06:24 PM EDT
Im set on a Standard A4, but does anyone have any two cents on whether i should get the RRA Standard A4 or the Bushmaster Standard A3? they are both 20", both have all the preban features, and at impactguns.com they are the same price. The Bush has a chrome lined barrel and the RRA has a chrome-moly. The RRA has a 2 Stage Match Trigger and the Bush has a standard. The RRA is .223 Remington and the Bush is 5.56 NATO. Those are pretty much the only differences. Is it basically a toss up?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushy
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#2]

The RRA is .223 Remington and the Bush is 5.56 NATO.

You sure the RRA isn't .223 wylde?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#3]
RRA all the way!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The RRA Standard A4 has a .223 Wylde chamber. Get the bushy since it's chrome-lined. Go chrome or go home.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bushy

BIG +1

No question.

Has nothing to do with BM vs. RRA.

HS1
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would you buy from Impact Guns?  I used to live in Ogden and have been in their shop many times. Nice selection, but their prices are insane.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are an accuracy freak who cleans your barrel every 100 rds and the entire rifle immediately after you get home from the range.  Get the RRA  because you get the two stage trigger.

Otherwise, if you only clean the rifle when a) you think it is shooting like crap, b) there are FTEs or c)the black sludge that flies around after a quick lube is getting to be too much, buy the BM.  You can always drop-in a two stage trigger later if you really want one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Why would you buy from Impact Guns?  I used to live in Ogden and have been in their shop many times. Nice selection, but their prices are insane.

aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Bushmaster_Rifles.html $789.95 Bushy 20" A3 instock and ready to ship. Impact is $809.99 which isn't bad either. Sometimes Impacts prices are decent. Other times they are not. Like on Colts.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Since your considering buying the rifle version, it sounds like to me that your wanting more of a paper puncher/target rifle, not a QCB/SHTF weapon?  If that's the case, go with the RRA... The trigger and chrome-moly barrel with .223 chamber will satisfy your needs to the fullest...

If that's not the case then and you want more of a battle rifle, get the Bushmaster...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#10]
The .223 Wylde chamber is fine for 5.56.  I know a standard .223 isn't, but I spoke to RRA reps on the phone before about this.  I don't understand why they offer chrome lining in only there 16" barrels.  

That said I've had both, and both make fine rifles.  I'd get the RRA evertime though.  Better fit and finish, and the upper to lower fit is always really tight.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I just bought a RRA upper a few days ago.   It seems to be nice quality, very nice finish and yes the fit between the upper and lower is very tight.   Just my 2 cents.

-Derek
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Man.. Tough decision. Both are great companies...I'd go with a Bushmaster... No, RRA... Wait..
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#13]
i would probably go with the Bushy.  i love chrome lined barrels, and i don't like the 2 stage triggers.  but that's just me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Bushmaster.   Chrome lined barrel is a good thing.  5.56mm chamber.  Etc.

I looked at a Bushmaster M4A3 style rifle today and was impressed with the fit and finish.  Much better than others I've looked at in the past.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Like others have said, if all you want to do is punch paper, get the RRA.  However, the chrome lined barrel on the Bushie will last longer.  Futhermore, one point that no one has made and kind of moot unless you shoot fullauto, but here goes:

Barrel steel on the Bushmaster is milspec 4150.  RRA uses 4140, which is a little softer, but like I said, not a big issue unless you're shooting fullauto.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Like others have said, if all you want to do is punch paper, get the RRA.  However, the chrome lined barrel on the Bushie will last longer.  Futhermore, one point that no one has made and kind of moot unless you shoot fullauto, but here goes:

Barrel steel on the Bushmaster is milspec 4150.  RRA uses 4140, which is a little softer, but like I said, not a big issue unless you're shooting fullauto.

As I understand it, they are both heat treated to the same hardness, however 4150 is going to handle extreme heat better before losing structural integrity.  Like you said though, not an issue unless you are doing multiple mag dums on full-auto.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#17]
get the one with the features YOU like.  Both are great rifles.

If you feel you need chrome lining, and a very slighly stronger barrel, get the bushy.

if that's not a concern, look at other areas that might be...

In the end, you really can't lose either way.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Bushmaster. Chrome lined barrel.    

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#19]
You can't lose either way.

Max
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The .223 Wylde chamber is fine for 5.56.  I know a standard .223 isn't, but I spoke to RRA reps on the phone before about this.  I don't understand why they offer chrome lining in only there 16" barrels.  

That said I've had both, and both make fine rifles.  I'd get the RRA evertime though.  Better fit and finish, and the upper to lower fit is always really tight.[/quote]

is the fit on the Bushy not real tight?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#21]
If you're going for an a4gery, then get the bushy.  Even though I'm an RRA fan, the bushy will offer a more govt oriented rifle espcially if you want a 1/7 twist govie profile which I *think* rra doesn't offer.  Check it out though.  

ETA:  Bravo Company USA offers a 20" chrome lined, government profile 1/7 twist a4 upper with m4 feed ramps (search) for 399.00.  Just bought one a week ago and put it on my pre-ban lower and it shoots great.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Depends,

If I want a carbine-Bushmaster

If I want a midlength-RRA
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#23]
im looking at full 20" length, and yes, im looking for as close to the govt rifle as possible.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
im looking at full 20" length, and yes, im looking for as close to the govt rifle as possible.

Get the Bushmaster then...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#25]
It bugs me why nobody is making a standard 20in A2 Rifle that is

chrome lined
govt profile
A2 Upper
20inch

Seems like bushy is pretty close but the govt profile I haven't seen.  Do they offer that now?

Guess I'll have to build one - exactly the way I want it.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

chrome lined
govt profile
A2 Upper
20inch

Seems like bushy is pretty close but the govt profile I haven't seen.  Do they offer that now?

As the saying goes, "If you want something done right, do it yourself"...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

chrome lined
govt profile
A2 Upper
20inch

If you order from BM, and know the secret password and get a salesmen that likes you, you can indeed get a USGI-profile 1/7 barrel from Bushmaster.

Since I am hated by Bushmaster, and don't know the secret password, I would order one of these uppers from Bravo Company, and stick it on whatever cheap lower I could get.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

chrome lined
govt profile
A2 Upper
20inch

As the saying goes, "If you want something done right, do it yourself"...

They sell a govt profile barrel on their website here , but they don't specify which barrel (heavy or govt) comes on their complete rifles.  

In a choice between RRA and Bushmaster, I'd still pick Bushmaster, but make 100% sure which barrel came on it, but given other options, I agree with Tomislav and would get a Bushy or RRA lower and the Bravo Company BCM upper.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#29]
The bushy won't have a sear block, the RRA migh I think.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Quoted:

That said I've had both, and both make fine rifles.  I'd get the RRA evertime though.  Better fit and finish, and the upper to lower fit is always really tight.[/quote]

is the fit on the Bushy not real tight?

Not like any RRA I've had.  I'm not saying a new bushmaster is going to rattle or anything though.  It will be fine but not as tight.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#31]
more than likely i will get the Bushy, but if i wanted to get the upper with the govt profile from Bravo, it doesnt come with the handguards, charging handle, and bolt carrier assembly. I would get a bushy or RRA lower based on price, but does anyone have any advice about the misc parts listed above?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
more than likely i will get the Bushy, but if i wanted to get the upper with the govt profile from Bravo, it doesnt come with the handguards, charging handle, and bolt carrier assembly. I would get a bushy or RRA lower based on price, but does anyone have any advice about the misc parts listed above?

Bravo Company sells all of those.  Look for LMT or CMT Bolt Carrier Groups (BCG) and charging handles in the upper reciever parts section on the website.  In fact, at the bottom of the BCM add are hotlinks to find those parts.  Either brand are very good quality, I've bought the CMT BCG from Bravo in the past and have been very happy with it, although I prefer LMT.

You can also look in the Equipment Exchange and find good deals on all of those parts as well as handguards and other odds and ends.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The bushy won't have a sear block, the RRA migh I think.  

I might have missed something but your joking right?  I've never seen any block in a RRA lower.

The only block i've ever seen was in a colt.  There might be others, but not RRA, at least not the 2 I own...

Like I said, I might have missed something, but if I didn't get it, the guy asking questions might not get it, and take your word that there is a block.

I know it doesn't matter, because we can't drill holes and drop sears in anyways, but you never know if the law might change one day, and one can be installed.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#34]
ok, i added all the parts up and it would be at least 100 bucks cheaper, altho i have ZERO experience with an AR15. none. would the extra money be worth it to just buy a complete rifle? are there any warnings about buying to build?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
ok, i added all the parts up and it would be at least 100 bucks cheaper, altho i have ZERO experience with an AR15. none. would the extra money be worth it to just buy a complete rifle? are there any warnings about buying to build?

If you buy the complete upper, complete lower, BCG and charging handle, basically what you have is a field stripped rifle.  All you have to do is assemble it, and you are ready to go.  Piece of cake.  Stick with quality components and you won't have a problem.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get the Bushmaster then...

+1 and if I read your last post correct your in the same shoes as me kinda, I ship out to Parris Island next summer(to enlist) and then will go through OCS when I get my degree.  Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Semper FI Illinigunner21, KILL!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#38]
What's wrong with an Armalite mid length?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#39]
first, price, and i want to get as close to a govt A4 as possible.

if i get the handguards, BCG, charging handle and Upper from BCU, and the bushy lower from Impact, do i have all the hardware necessary? like pivot pin, and anything to attach the handguards? basically, if i get these, do i have EVERYTHING i need to assemble?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
first, price, and i want to get as close to a govt A4 as possible.

if i get the handguards, BCG, charging handle and Upper from BCU, and the bushy lower from Impact, do i have all the hardware necessary? like pivot pin, and anything to attach the handguards? basically, if i get these, do i have EVERYTHING i need to assemble?

You would need: (Presuming you go with the BC uppper)

Upper from BC (Comes with handguards)
Bolt group (if it doesn't include CH, one of those as well)
Lower
Lower parts kit. (Various kits include an A2 stock/buffer assy. You need a stock and a buffer assy along with the various trigger doodads and whatnot.)
(And ammo and mags, et cetera.)

Since you are putting it together yourself, just get the cheapest lower you can find. The only thing that you lose with putting a AR together yourself is resale value, so shop around a bit and find the cheapest decent components you can.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Tomislav, do i still need all that if i get a complete assembled lower? and i am getting the 20" Barreled Upper Receiver (1/7 Twist), it doesnt come with handguards.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Bushy
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Tomislav, do i still need all that if i get a complete assembled lower? and i am getting the 20" Barreled Upper Receiver (1/7 Twist), it doesnt come with handguards.

Depends on the lower. Have a link to the exact lower you are getting? Sometimes they come 'complete', minus buffer assy and stock, but with a pistol grip. Sometimes they are ready to go. The lower parts kit (whether it installed already or not) will have your pivot pins.

I reread the BC ad, and I guess you will need handguards. Whoops. BC has 'em.

ETA: And of course you'll need a bolt group, but you already listed that. Those sometimes are 'included' (not for free, of course!) with the upper, but not in this case.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#44]
If your lower is complete with a buttstock, you'll have everything you need.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#45]
ok, yeah the bushy or RRA both have stocks and everything. altho with the extra money to add on mags, i think im just going to with a bushmaster complete. i just cant wait to finally get one!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#46]
They both make great rifles.  That being said, on the AR's I own the fit and finish is better on the RRA.  I currently have 1 BM and don't plan on getting rid of it but I don't plan on buying another either.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Get the Bushmaster. I have 2 brand new ones ( XM15 E2S ) and they are sweet.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Depends,

If I want a carbine-Bushmaster

If I want a midlength-RRA

I'd say same

sounds like a rifle choice already though..........and in that case

Bushmaster

If for not other reason.........re-sale value
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Go with Bushmaster
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top