Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 12:57:10 PM EDT
First let me say hello, and thanks for all of the great info I have already scrounged from this site!

I am working on my first build and have come to the point of purchasing my upper.  I am left handed and left eye dominant however I am questioning whether to buy a left handed upper or not.  Will I really have any issues w/ empty casings in my face w/ a case deflector?  I thought I read somewhere that in the military they do not issue left handed guns so I assume it is not as big of an issue as I first thought.

What do  you think?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard that the case deflector helps a lot and keeps brass outta lefty's faces. But if you want to go with the left handed model, I only know of Stag Arms' upper that has left handed controls. Good luck and welcome!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  I have been eyeing the stag arms uppers, both left and right handed.  I am trying to decide if it's worth the extra money or if there are any other downfalls going left handed.  It's only about $50 more without factoring the $30 for ambi selector and $100 for ambi mag release.

Hell being left handed I'm pretty ambidextrious as it is maybe I will just start practicing shooting right handed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two lefties from STAG and wouldn't buy/build another right handed rifle again. If you need to talk yourself into using a right handed rifle or think you need to switch then why bother. If you are left handed than buy/build left handed. Quality of the uppers is equal to any RH receiver and it only cost a little bit more. I dont bother with the ambi safety or mag catch. I use my trigger finger to control the safety and my right thumb for the mag release. But now that lefties are available ask a right handed shooter if he would buy a left handed gun..the answer will always be NO. So why do the opposite, get a gun made for YOU. If your worried about resale or dont think you'll keep it then go the easy route and buy a RH gun, lot more righties than lefties. But if your going to buy a gun that you wish to keep than get a gun you'll be comfortable with.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Bulldogxj/Ar15022.jpg
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I just ordered the Lefty Stag from Eagle Firearms...can't wait
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...ask a right handed shooter if he would buy a left handed gun..the answer will always be NO. So why do the opposite, get a gun made for YOU.

This is outstanding advice!  I am a left-handed shooter and own both a Stag and DPMS left-ejecting rifle.  Don't compromise.  Get a lefty.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#6]
dreemweaver:
 The two lefties in the upper part of the photo were built on DPMS uppers and the bolt handle mod was done by Derrick Martin. Iam a lefty and really don't see that big of deal using either right or left handed models. I've put several thousand rounds through right handed AR's shooting them left handed without a problem. I do remember some very pointed remarks from a shooting partner when hot brass hit him while shooting in a dog town with one of my lefties.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll have to try a left handed upper, but I just don't see the need.
However, right or left handed, I do see the need for ambi mag releases and safetys.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Lefty here, and I've never really had any problems w/ all my Righty ARs (or anything else I've owned for that matter.  I haven't gone with a lefty AR because the thing I'd really like to have on the opposite side is the bolt release.  I think I will start adding the Norgon Ambi Mag Catch though on my rifles, just to try it out.  I figure since I won't be issued a lefty, I might as well practice with a mirror to what I'll be issued.

Airborne
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top