Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 7:51:25 PM EDT
I know that there are a million threads on here with this same topic, but none seem to fit my situation:

I "think" that I have finally convinced the wifey that I "need" an AR.  The problem is that I am not sure on how to go about it as far as maximum quality of product is concerned.  Money is not that big of an issue, to a certain extent (about a 3G max).  I have shot many AR's that belonged to friends and I think that this one has pretty much everything I want all in one package:

Edit:  Price of this one is about $2200
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/13510/nbgovt.gif

My question to ya'll is this:

Will this provide me with superior quality overall versus piecing one together?  I really want a great piece out of this venture, not something that I have to redo.  I know that my question is vague, but I have done a substantial amount of research and just can't come up with much.  Thanks in advance.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
RRA is a good gun..if the price isnt a issue id say go for it...seems alittle high to me..but i dont know what those EOTechs cost normally. If you have the tools i think you could prolly get different parts (exactly what you want) and assemble it yourself ,and possibly save some money. Im not knocking RRA at all though..i like them. 3G could build a AWESOME AR.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#2]
If I were you I would get a RRA standard Car A4 with the Daniel Deefnse 7.0, RRA 2stage match trigger, GG&G front flip and rear flip BUIS, ergo black grip, and purchase an Aimpoint ML3 on the EE or Ebay.  RRA has all those options available and they will do it for you.  Ask them for a 1:7 twist barrel too.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in your situation about a year ago. As stated above, if the $2200 isnt an issue for you, then rock on. However, Id start off with a pretty plain A3, 16in tele-stock version of RRA, BM, Sabre, ect. Any of these can be had for well under a grand, and will let you find out if you are really wanting to invest that kind of cash on a single firearm as all of the accessories can be added onto any AR for quite a bit less than RRA has that one listed for, futhermore, you may not like the EOtec, grip, forward rails, ect. Id say start out with a basic rifle and build it as you go.It will be cheaper, you will have more fun building it, and it will be exactly to your specs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#4]
If I were you I would have a vendor here build you a upper and get a Match Lower from DSA and then just buy a EoTech
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Go to ADCO and see if there is something you like. They do it the way I like it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#6]
ADCO is a good company.  Try with them.

Max
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Everyone here has a different version of perfection, so comments are going to range across the board.

If I had the right flavor of money, I would have a weapon built EXACTLY the way that I wanted it.

Below is a weapon which would fit the bill as a perfect weapon for me.  I've handled this one (thanks Teknic www.rainierarms.com), so I'll comment on what I think makes it put a smile on my face.

WOA 1:7 barrel with Vortex
LMT 2 stage trigger
Free Floated barrel with Samson rail
Pentagon X3 light (130 lumen?)
Tango Down VFG
MIAD grip
SOPMOD Stock ( I confess that I now really like this stock)
PRI folding front sight
Rear BUIS (GG&G I think but can't recall)
Aimpoint, which I'm sure could be swapped out for an Eotech
Aimpoint 3X Magnifying unit (which I love with an Eotech)

I'm sure there is stuff I'm leaving out, but my point is that if you are looking at spending between 2 and 3 grand, get exactly what you want, not someone elses version.  I think you could get a much better bang for your buck than the RRA model shown.  I see no point in paying extra for the DEA comments.  Lastly, if you don't like OD Green, I'll bet Teknic has them in black as well.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I "think" that I have finally convinced the wifey that I "need" an AR.

Exactly how did you accomplish this?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Isn't $2,200 a little high for that RRA? It seems to me that those features can be bought for a lot less and added to build a rifle of equal quality. I guess it comes down to whether or not you want it ready to go in your hands now, or if you want to go into the realm of do-it-yourself.

For $2,200 I can get a SOCOM 16 with an Aimpoint, or a single shot .50BMG (no optics). That would kick serious ass.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all of the advice, guys!  I think that I have decided to go ahead and do a custom build.  I have been looking around on here and on various other places throughout the net (till 3AM this morning ) and have discovered that there are so many options that this WILL take a lot of homework.  All mentioned vendors are definitely now in the running.  The only reason they weren't there before is because my ignorant ass didn't know they existed(don't I feel retarded).

makabi - good point on the 1:7 twist...thanks!

StickMan - does Teknic actually build it for you, or does he just sell the pieces?  And thanks for the pic, it has given me some great ideas. ( I really like that stock, BTW)

tripledouble - I put her through LSU Law School
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Teknic - I apologize....I didn't realize that you had responded until after I had posted.  I plan on calling you tomorrow to discuss a build.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#13]
hey man, you should seriously consider starting with a stock weapon.  Learn to shoot with the iron sights, you might find out that you like them better.  Once you get some experience behind the AR you will have a better idea of what you want to do with it.  If you start stock you can always add optics, etc. later once you have a better idea of what you want, but if you buy all of the extra crap now you can't go back.

There are a lot of other expenses involved that you are forgetting about.  Magazines and ammunition brother!  A 2200 dollar rifle is just an expensive club without mags and ammo.  Get a stock carbine with a removable carry handle to start with and go from there.  Personally I prefer the Colt 6920, bushmaster is good too.  I here good things about other manufacturers but have no experience with them.  Spend a grand on a stock rifle, spend a grand on magazines and ammo, and if that other 1,000 dollars you have is really burning a hole in your pocket go get some formal training.  Other then that, hang onto it until you have a better idea of what you want.

I personally feel that you are severely cheating yourself if you start out with anything but iron sights.  For one, you won't be able to appreciate the good things about the various optics out there if you don't.  A stock 6920 is a pretty fucking bad-ass weapon.  Personally I feel its got just as much of a "cool" factor as a rifle with all the shit on it.  Accessorize as you go, as you discover your actual needs, as you learn.  I used to have all kinds of stuff for my ARs and now prefer a stock 6920 to anything else, except maybe a good tac-light (surefire or even stream-light's M-6X).   I am thinking about getting a compact acog as a toy, just like my EOtech is a toy.  My go to gun, the one that I enjoy shooting the most, is the stock AR, the way it was meant to be.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I would start off with a stock M4 type from one of the top end manufacturers and add the things you like.  You can buy a lot of mags and ammo with the money you save.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top