Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 8:49:03 PM EDT
Can someone explain why you'd want to shoot with your nose that close to the receiver?  I've seen serveral references of "it's the only way to shoot an AR", but no explanations.  I'm sure it's a newbie question, but my searches haven't found the answers.  If it's all in a FAQ somewhere, a link would be appreciated.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I learned it in the Army and most here were taught it by the military or learned from a buddy in the military.  Nose to charging handle is just a good way to "index" the same cheek position so you have the same sight picture.  Helps your consistency in sight alignment.  I just barely touch my nose to the charging handle enough to tell it is there.  Rifle does not kick enough for the handle touching my nose to be an issue.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried NTCH for the first time last year and my prone score immediately went up by 15 points.  When precision shooting with irons I switched to NTCH exclusively and I haven't looked back since.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
As said earlier it makes for a more consistent cheek weld.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I learned it in the Army and most here were taught it by the military or learned from a buddy in the military.  Nose to charging handle is just a good way to "index" the same cheek position so you have the same sight picture.  Helps your consistency in sight alignment.  I just barely touch my nose to the charging handle enough to tell it is there.  Rifle does not kick enough for the handle touching my nose to be an issue.

+1 well put
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#5]
When you keep your head in the same exact spot on the stock every time, your accuracy will be better than if you are in a different place.   NTCH is a good way to ensure your head is in the same spot (unless you are Pinocchio).
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:46:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Muscle memory applies to your head and neck, just like it applies to your hands and arms. Do it the same way every time and it becomes second nature to you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:05:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a badger Tac-latch on 2 of my 3 ar's..  Yup, the point of my nose goes there.  It's actually wierd for me to shoot my service rifle with a standard charging handle, but I manage.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Muscle memory applies to your head and neck, just like it applies to your hands and arms. Do it the same way every time and it becomes second nature to you.

+1

My buddy who was in the Marines for 8 years spent alot of time on a rifle.  He taught me how to shoot and he says that there is not an exact spot for everyone but rather everyone has their own natural spot that they aim comfortably.

Shoot how it is comfortable to you,  I don't think you can go wrong with that.  Just be consistant and pay attention to what you are doing.  Eventually you'll start picking away at your bad habits.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the helpful info.  I tried it dryfiring and it'll take some getting used to, but I could tell the benefits of a more consistent cheekweld and a better sight picture with the small peep.   With the collapsing stock, I was getting cheekwelds all over the buffer tube and stock body.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top