Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 7:38:22 AM EDT
I had my upper and lower reciever apart yesterday while I was cleaning it.  I wanted to run some q-tips inside the fire control group so I flicked off the safety and pulled the trigger to get good access into the compartment.  When the hammer fell the tab on my bolt release catch broke off and went flying.  Pics below:

Did dry-firing the lower when it was apart from the upper cause this damage?  Or do I just have shitty forged parts inside my AR?  

Oh, I got the lower from Joe Ken Firearms (ordered it before I knew what LYING JACKASSES they are).

ETA: Sorry about the big file size.  I'm apparently not smart enough to figure out how to resize them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:06:33 AM EDT
[#1]
holy crap those pics are huge

there's nothing holding the hammer back with the upper off so it is able to strike the bolt catch and the lower reciever.

reason why you dont dry fire a ar without the upper on it.

dont blame it on the parts blame the guy to dropped the hammer

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I know, sorry!  I don't know how to make them smaller.

there's nothing holding the hammer back with the upper off so it is able to strike the bolt catch and the lower reciever.

LOL, not trying to blame the parts.  I just didn't know that it was an issue.  I'd done it plenty of times with my M16 lower in bootcamp while cleaning, so I didn't know it would be a problem with my AR.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

LOL, not trying to blame the parts.  I just didn't know that it was an issue.  I'd done it plenty of times with my M16 lower in bootcamp while cleaning, so I didn't know it would be a problem with my AR.

Thanks for the input.

It was wrong to do it with your M16 as well.  On a brighter note, its an easily replaced part.  Buy a new one, drop it in, and the world will be a better place.  It will probably cost you more for shipping than it will for the part itself.

Chalk it off as a learning experience.  You have now taught a boat load of other people who also had no idea.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#5]
bad things happen if you make a habit of dropping the hammer without the upper installed.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Happened to me not too long ago.

Thanks again munyguru.

LOL see
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I use one of these.

Great of tuning triggers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#8]
That happened to my bushmaster once, they sent me a new one free of charge
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

ignore all the warnings, you get to buy a new bolt catch and just be happy you did not crack the lower receiver magwell wall.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

ignore all the warnings, you get to buy a new bolt catch and just be happy you did not crack the lower receiver magwell wall.

think the hammer would have gave before the lower would have but yeah at least its just a bolt catch
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

think the hammer would have gave before the lower would have but yeah at least its just a bolt catch

You may be right but I'm sure not going to test it
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I did the same thing with my dad's Colt SP1 back in '83.  
It's not a matter of parts, you just can't do that with it.
I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who learned this "the hard way"

On the up-side, I believe that was my first experience with replacing a part on the AR lower.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I did the same thing with my dad's Colt SP1 back in '83.

Oops.  At least it wasn't just me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#15]
No, dude, it's not just you.
Plus, you might need to add a couple things to your order--
   you know, to "justify the shipping costs".
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top