Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 1:30:31 PM EDT
I am looking into buying my first AR-15.   I really don't know too much about them and the different manufacturers.  I know that I would like to get one with a collapsible stock, a 14" or 16" barrel and with the standard carry handle.  I am looking to spend around $700 on one and would like to buy new if possible.  So far I have been looking into Olympic Arms AR-15's because of the price.  Is Olympic Arms a good brand of AR's?  

Can some experienced AR-15 shooter steer me in the right direction as to what brand and what features to look for.

Thanks for the help.

-Derek
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
A few recommendations:

1. Chrome-lined barrel
2. A3 upper
3. USGI mags

If you follow those guidelines, you'll be pleased.

I have no personal experience with Olympic Arms, but people on here "dog" them pretty bad sometimes. Take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking for the same senario here is one of the packages I've researched.

At www.eaglefirearms.net you can get a stag lower and upper (m4 profile) with lots of goodies for about 700 flat.  The only assembly would be pushing 2 pins which I'm sure you could manage.  About the cheapest you can go is a stripped lower + kit from del-ton or jtdistributing but that requires a bit more assembly.  I personally think that the Stag combo is pretty darn hard to beat, you are getting one of the best brands out there for about 100 less than a retail gun with the same features.

edit: I am in no way affiliated with these sites so don't see this as me trying to push a product, I'm just giving you my observation (edited 9/11/05)
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
when I price things out at Del-Ton and J&T they comeo ut higher than Eagle's Stag build at $690 for Stag with flat top, 6 pos stock, and $40A2 BUIS.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok...let me preface this by saying...my choice is ALWAYS Bushmaster if I have it.
Otherwise...Olympic seems to be a pretty good rifle. I've never fired one myself, so I cannot say anymore than that. I have handle a few and seem to be of good quality. If you're looking for a good AR in that $700 price range you should grab the latest Shotgun News.
On page 68, some company named Kiesler's Wholesale is selling DPMS AR's ranging from $629.00 with a collapsible stock A-3 Flat-top without the carry handle. I do own a number of lowers from DPMS. But again, I've never fired a full factory built one. I also have experience with their lower parts kits and I've been happy with them. But that's about the best deal I've seen in a while. Now I'll get out of the way and allow the "ANYTHING BUT A COLT IS A CRAP COPY" folks flame this thread up for ya...
Anyhow, my .02!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out www.rbprecision.com/ for Superior Arms. You'll have an Iowa original!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

At www.eaglefirearms.net you can get a stag lower and upper (m4 profile) with lots of goodies for about 700 flat.  The only assembly would be pushing 2 pins which I'm sure you could manage.  About the cheapest you can go is a stripped lower + kit from del-ton or jtdistributing but that requires a bit more assembly.  I personally think that the Stag combo is pretty darn hard to beat, you are getting one of the best brands out there for about 100 less than a retail gun with the same features.

edit: I am in no way affiliated with these sites so don't see this as me trying to push a product, I'm just giving you my observation (edited 9/11/05)

I was gonna suggest this very thing. Stag seems to be a very good deal right now.

Superior Arms is also a great lower and can be bought through Robert at RB Precision at a pretty decent price, too. I really like mine and it was the easiest lower I've ever put together.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If you wanted to go the lowbuck route you could get a lower + basic kit from del-ton and it barely breaks 550 bucks.  The "extras" that I don't think I could live without are the 6pos stock, chrome lined barrel, and carrying handle.  If you don't plan on using optics you could just go A2 upper and save yourself a good 60 bucks (which I might consider).  It's just about what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend.

DON'T FORGET MAGS AND AMMO

$30 for mags
$130 for ammo
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
RRA
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you everyone for your help.

I am a little confused about the sight system.  I know that they have a uppers with a fixed carry handle, ones that have a removable carry handle and the flat tops.  From my understanding the flat tops are more for adding a larger scope.  I would honestly like to get one with the carry handle, any advice on this?  

Also please clarify the difference between the A2, A3 ect uppers?  

Here is the Olympic Arms AR that I was looking at.  I liked the idea of them having a lifetime warranty. This model was only $650 new.  

Description:
Olympic Arms PCR GI ,AR15 .223 ,semi auto rifle, 100 % new, these rifles  are built to be packed with quality but still at a affordable price, they feature 4140 chromemoly heavy match grade 16 inch barrel, 1 x 9 twist, forged upper & lower receiver, A-1 sights, Flash Hider, Bayonet Lug, Telescoping Stock all the Pre Ban Style features,  they will take hi cap mags & are backed up by a LIFETIME WARRANTY !!! Comes with one 30 round mag, sling , owners info  & is shipped in a padded rifle hard case .  

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/3235/untitled16lz.jpg

Thanks again, Derek
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Olympic provides a warrenty because you're going to need it!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I am looking into that Stag setup.  Is Stag a good brand AR?  I have never heard of them before.

Also what is the deal with the National Match 2 Stage trigger group?  Is this a needed?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Olympic is the KIA/Hyundai of AR15's. Perfectly functional as long as you don't go crazy. Poor resale value. I'd look for something more desirable. You will find that if a company has ever made even one cast receiver, it is crap forever. Sad, probably unjustifed, but that's life.

A good lower is the basis of the rifle. You can add $3K of scopes and other crap. Put it on an Olympic lower and it is far less desirable than if you stuck it on a DEA lower that cost $60 more.

Crazy huh?

Buy a  desirable lower, get your trick $100 folding stock, and you might still have $400 for a basic flat top upper that you can clamp $3K of rails+ to over the next 2 months so that you can look like an extra from the Lord of War. :)

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
RRA

+1

instead of going w/ the oly arms, i would just go w/ a RRA for a similar price as oly arms has 1 too many bad reps behind em...

you can also just get a complete upper and a built complete lower and snap the pins together--check the EE and industry boards

i would opt for a flatop upper (A3)

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top