Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 3:35:24 PM EDT
Hello all, I currently have a FAL carbine, and it is a great rifle.  Its my ONLY .308.  It has a 14.5 inch barrel with a MB permanently attached.  

My problem is, it does not get used.  I have fired the thing only a few times since I have owned it, and quite frankly, for the kind of shooting I do, my AR's are great.  One of the only reasons I have held on to it is that I have no other .308, and I feel as if my arsenal would be incomplete without one.  However, I cannot think of one situation where I would use it.  My M4 would take care of 90% of the business, my A4gery would take care of 8% of the business, and my 7.62 AK would take care of the remaining 2% *meaning anything that involved punching holes though cover*.

I can't think of a situation where my FAL would be used for anything, and since I rarely shoot it when I'm out at the range, what should I do?

IF I sell the rifle, I would most likely replace it with some sort of free floated AR15 upper with a basic bushnell 3200 10x40 mildot, or some other setup, basically a magnified precision AR.  I could see that rifle serving a purpose, and feel it would get used at the range a bit more than my FAL carbine.  I have 4 more AR lowers standing by...waiting for an upper.  Worst case, I could build a basic iron sighted carbine instead of the precision upper...either way, both would get used more than the FAL.

If you were in my shoes, what would you guys do?

*since my plan is to replace with an AR upper...I think this post is ok here*
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
keep the FAL and SHOOT it

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I would, but the problem Im facing is I simply don't enjoy shooting is as much as I enjoy shooting my AR's.  Thats why I have 4 AR's, and one FAL...  If it had a purpose, I'd have no problem hanging on to it if it had a "purpose"...I just can't think of a good use for a .308 carbine.

Argh.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Replace it with an AR10
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#4]
IF you do decide to sell it, let me know.  I'm interested in a non AR .308 carbine.  Sounds like it would fill my opening.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]
"Never sell a gun!"  That's what I've been told, but I just can't stick to that.

I'd sell it and buy a new upper, another 1911, more Glock mags, LOTS of ammo, etc.  Get something you'll use and enjoy if you think you'll never use the FAL.  At some point you will regret selling it though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I, personally, like to have many different types of firearms.  I would not limit your arsenal to just the AR type of weapons.  Keep it and give it to your kid/future kid when he's old enough.  It will be practically brand new, and he might like it better than your AR's.

Take it from a guy who has sold many of his weapons to pay for a lawyer, you'll want it back eventually, and you'll kick yourself in the @$$ if you let it go.  I'm just now getting most of my arsenal back up, and it doesn't have half of the older weapons I had, but I wish it did.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would, but the problem Im facing is I simply don't enjoy shooting is as much as I enjoy shooting my AR's.  Thats why I have 4 AR's, and one FAL...  If it had a purpose, I'd have no problem hanging on to it if it had a "purpose"...I just can't think of a good use for a .308 carbine.

Argh.

i still would keep it--the FAL has that harder hitting capability, both close in and afar

EVERYONE should have a .308 in thier arsenal

if not, you could sell it, get a cheaper .308 AND an AR

why dont you like shooting it? (besides the fact that ammo costs more)

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#8]
get an AR10 to spark the 308 interest back and to also get your mind off selling it.later on when you get the interest back you will wish you had it if you sell it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#9]

While I loved my DSA SA58...  I too also sold it.  It was a great weapon, but it really had no practical use in my setup... other than it being a range gun.  

Instead of the FAL, I went and used the cash and set up a long-range 308 bolt-gun.  I got $1200 for my FAL and a good setup will run you that much… hell, my scope alone cost me half of that.

Anyway, I figure I can use my AR for anything under 300 meters… anything else; I’m breaking out the bolt-gun and using a scope.  Battle rifles are great to shoot at the range… but I wouldn’t pick it as my primary weapon if I have a AR next to it to grab also.  

Think about getting a bolt-gun… a well-placed long-range shot can stop more people coming at you than spraying them with 30 rounds on your AR

On a side note… it’s also more fun to shoot my bolt-gun at the range.  Putting a hole dead-center on a 308 casing is hard work at 300 meters
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, for the sake of you guys knowing what I'm dealing with...

Here are the rifles as of now...

M16A4gery
M4gery
M16A2-gery
M16A1-gery
ORF FAL Carbine
Savage 10FPLE2A .223
Savage .17HMR
10/22
ORF AK47
SAR-2

Not really looking to do a .308 bolt setup, simply because I do not want to have to deal with buying match .308 to have fun with the rifle.  Thats why I got the savage in .223.  Shoots reeaaaal tight groups with federal AE .223.  Cheap, accurate, and fun...and I could still use it to reach out and touch someone.

I guess I just don't feel the need for a MBR anymore.  No need to have a semi-auto large caliber rifle.  If I really need to get out there, I'd use my savage over an FAL carbine anyways.

I dont like shooting it as much as an AR because I feel as if the extra power is wasted for plinking...  I do NOT HAVE A PROBLEM with .308 recoil, so lets not go there.  However, it kicks more, has less capacity, the grip angle is awkward, and its heavier, and ammunition costs more.  For plinking, which is all I'd really do with the rifle in the first place...I'd rather have a lighter, softer kicking cheaper to shoot rifle that has ergonomics that better suit me...If I am just plinking, I grab my A2 style AR15.

I honestly dont think I'd regret selling it.  I never use it.  I'd rather have 4-5 rifles that all get used that I enjoy than 7-8 rifles that I just own to say I own.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone make a .308 upper ? That would seem to be a great buy. He would still be shooting an AR
and have a 308 to boot. AND MONEY for ammo.

Check out   military.com/NL_ST/1,14857,2548,00.html  for story about mil spec version of
the Skrike 5.56 Advanced Weapons System
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Anyone make a .308 upper ? That would seem to be a great buy. He would still be shooting an AR
and have a 308 to boot. AND MONEY for ammo.

Check out   military.com/NL_ST/1,14857,2548,00.html  for story about mil spec version of
the Skrike 5.56 Advanced Weapons System

Does he have a .308 lower?  Mag well is different.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I found out long ago to stick with platforms I am familar with.  These are mine:

AR15
M1A
AK47
Beretta
Glocks
BHP

That is all I shoot.  I tried the FAL but I did not like it.  It does not fit me well.  I am 5' 7" so the AR is the best platform for me so far.

Sell the FAL if you don't see the need to shoot it.

Max
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#14]
If it is only collecting dust and taking up space, there's really no point in having it.

What price would you sell it for if you decided to sell it? IM me if you want it kept private for now.

Personally, a QCB .308 sounds like quite the oxymoron, but it's definitely an interesting set-up.

Sell it and get something you'll have fun with, my opinion anyway.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish I had every gun I ever sold back. It seemed like a good idea at the time I got rid of them but It always left a hole that needed refilling later on.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top