Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2005 10:38:29 AM EDT
Stopped by a new gunshop this morning to get some ammo, and to see what they had. Met with the owner, Joe; he was a really nice guy to talk with.  Anyway, he had 5 slabsided AR's for sale.  Never seen one before. He also had 5 cans (now 4 :)) of Radway Green SS109; which is what I was looking for.  Figured I would just give everyone a heads up.

here is their website:  www.keystonearms.com
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Newbie alert. Im not familiar with the term "slab sided"
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

No charging handle or brass deflector.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No charging handle?  WTF?

You don't mean forward assist, do you?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, your in FL. but that website is for a shop in PA?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it meant NO brass deflector or RAISED FENCE around the mag release button.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#7]
No forward assist or brass deflector.  

How much?  They don't have them on the website.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#8]
hkinfl,

I've just moved from Florida; it's tooo damn hot down there.

jwise,

I looked at a bunch of stuff they had while I was there.  If I recall, they were asking $995.00.  They also had a wood stocked UZI there.

If anyone is interested, their number is 570-491-4867.

Again, the owners name is Joe.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought slab sided referred only to the lower receiver and the lack of a raised fenced area around the magazine catch.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I thought slab sided referred only to the lower receiver and the lack of a raised fenced area around the magazine catch.

EXACTLY!  Thus the Flat appearance of a SLAB!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Slab side means (on an upper) no forward assist or brass deflector and on a lower, it means no mag fence around the mag release button and no detent housing for the front pivot pin. Slabside lowers use a type of screw-like front pivot pin. I say you should pick up one of those rifles...I don't see any on their site though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Slab side Slick side means (on an upper) no forward assist or brass deflector and on a lower slab side  means no mag fence around the mag release button and no detent housing for the front pivot pin. Slabside lowers use a type of screw-like front pivot pin. I say you should pick up one of those rifles...I don't see any on their site though.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it meant NO brass deflector or RAISED FENCE around the mag release button.

Generally, the term is used to describe early model Colt ARs, which had no brass deflector or forward assist on the upper; and also had no takedown pin nor mag release fence on the lower. The front hinge was a two headed screw.

Most of the slab sides are marked SP1, but there are also some SP2s out there that have the same type lower.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Dace, and I believe you are right on that. Slick sided uppers and slab sided lowers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Slab side Slick side means (on an upper) no forward assist or brass deflector and on a lower slab side  means no mag fence around the mag release button and no detent housing for the front pivot pin. Slabside lowers use a type of screw-like front pivot pin. I say you should pick up one of those rifles...I don't see any on their site though.

Fixed it for you.

Eh...I say slabside for both
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#16]
What would be the advantage of a Slab/slick sided AR?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't think there are any advantages. If they are originals they are usually older rifles. At least I think.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Spot the 3 slabsides

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Spot the 3 slabsides

tacoma4x4.no-ip.com/AR15s/TheBoys.jpg

2, 3, and 4....do I get a prize?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:25:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No charging handle?  WTF?

You don't mean forward assist, do you?

I do mean forward assist.  I am retarded.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:36:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Eh...I say slabside for both

BOTH SHOULD BE BANNED!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I have an A2 with a slabside lower. I believe they were from 89 or thereabouts. I wonder if they all have the GS SN# prefix, These have no FA block in them, or at least not in mine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:36:29 AM EDT
[#23]
CDNN also has SP1's, "from a prison buy,sale,trade", for $999.00
Suppose to be "good to exc" condition.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:39:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have an A2 with a slabside lower. I believe they were from 89 or thereabouts. I wonder if they all have the GS SN# prefix, These have no FA block in them, or at least not in mine.

You have a Government Model I'm guessing.  Mine all have the SPxxxxxxx serial number sequence.
From past ARFCOM posts I've heard of a slab side with a sear block in it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Heres a rough guide: Pre-1990 Colt slab side lowers dont have the sear block and post-1990 do. Colt rifles with the GS serial number prefix should be marked "Govt. Rifle" and dont have the sear block. Please note I have seen a few early production Colt Sporter Target models that had the GS serial number prefix instead of the usual ST prefix. None had sear blocks and I think they had slab sided lowers. Also the early Colt M16 & SP1 uppers are referred to by many as slick-side not slab side.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey AssaultRifler,

I think you need to ship me all 4 of those so I perform full inspections to verify their "slabsidedness"
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Well seeing as how it is just a nickname, and not a technical definition in any owner's manual, I can see it is easy to understand that it has different meanings to different folks.  

My question is if an originally produced COLT spec'd rifle ever came in a 'slick' side upper without a slab sided lower.  And if a slab sided lower has ever come with a non-slick sided upper.   I suppose they have produced them like this, but it was my understanding that a "slab-side" rifle had no FA, brass-deflector and therefore didn't have a fenced mag release either.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
CDNN also has SP1's, "from a prison buy,sale,trade", for $999.00
Suppose to be "good to exc" condition.

Wha huh? Where?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Heres a rough guide: Pre-1990 Colt slab side lowers dont have the sear block and post-1990 do. Colt rifles with the GS serial number prefix should be marked "Govt. Rifle" and dont have the sear block. Please note I have seen a few early production Colt Sporter Target models that had the GS serial number prefix instead of the usual ST prefix. None had sear blocks and I think they had slab sided lowers. Also the early Colt M16 & SP1 uppers are referred to by many as slick-side not slab side.

Yep mine says sporter target on the magwell, but it came with 22 conv, 3x9 armored scope, cheekpiece, slab lower A2 upper, Sn is GS prefix, spent 5 years trying to figure out exactly what the heck it was before I found this place. All chromed and still the most accurate AR I own. I cannot ever recall this rifle having a FTF or any other malfunction.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Hey AssaultRifler,

I think you need to ship me all 4 of those so I perform full inspections to verify their "slabsidedness"

Come over to Raleigh sometime and you can light 'em up
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Found these closeup pics:

My Colt Sporter II

Note double screw head front takedown pin and no sear block pin hole
Slabside Colts have the small fire control pins and non cut out bolt carrier, except for some of the transitional models around 1990-1 which have the cut out bolt carrier

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top