Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 12:04:23 PM EDT
Does anyone else have any experience with this? The stock is an RRA six posistion,
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Your action tube is not centered.  The nut needs to loosened, the tube centered and the nut re tightened.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine will rub the stock if I apply downward pressure while charging.  I causes no problems so i am not worried about it.  As most of the time we load from the open bolt pos.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Hitting, as in stopping the charging handle from going all the way back?

If it's just tagging it a bit, I wouldn't worry too much, it might be annoying, but
as long as it functions, you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I may have the same setp, but I've never had a problem with it.  BOL with it.

-K
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
My collapsible stock still had some plastic "flashing" from the mold on it and it interfered with the charging handle.

I used a dremel to sand down the edge a little and there is no problem anymore.
You can use a sharp knife if you need to, or a file would work also....I had a dremel and used that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Charge the rifle with the stock extended all the way out, problem solved

Seriously though, it probably has alot to do with the angle of the pull your using...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:14:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Charge the rifle with the stock extended all the way out, problem solved

Seriously though, it probably has alot to do with the angle of the pull your using...

...stock all the way open- didn't even enter my mind, Good thing I've got my looks or nature would have kicked me out of the gene pool long ago!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:32:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Charging from the extended postition still does not solve your problem if it's collapsed.  If you try to charge your weapon and it catches on the stock enough to keep you from being able to charge the weapon completely, I would definitely try to fix the problem.  If it's merely bumping it, but the handle can be pulled all the way back with relative ease, then it really shouldn't be something to worry about.  All the above suggestions for a fix seem to be on the money.  take off any flash, or loosen and reposition the buffer tube so the flat spot on the stock is at the 12 oclock position, not canted at all one way or the other.  Hope that made sense...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:14:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I ran into a similar issue when I installed a YHM HK style single point sling endplate.  Upon further inspection I found the YHM end plate was too thick at the top as compared to the Vltor endplate I was using.

No big deal, it took about 15 minutes to file down the YHM endplate until I got perfect fit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My collapsible stock still had some plastic "flashing" from the mold on it and it interfered with the charging handle.

I used a dremel to sand down the edge a little and there is no problem anymore.
You can use a sharp knife if you need to, or a file would work also....I had a dremel and used that.

I clean up all my new plastic furniture as you mentioned. Mainly for aesthetics but also because some of the flashing can be sharp.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#11]
depends on how you pull on the charging handle.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Can you post a picture?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:13:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Can you post a picture?

I can look at it to see if a photo will help anything.The main thing is that it goes "bang" when I pull the trigger!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:54:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Hmmm.....

On my M1S gun (M4 style stock)...the charging handle just barely scrapes the top of the receiver end plate.

This is because it is oversized. It is wider than the castle nut.

On my Colt (Colt M4 stock), the receiver end plate is the same diameter as the castle nut. They mate perfectly. This seems to be the proper specification as this allows staking to be done on that plate into the tiny recesses in the castle nut to prevent it from coming loose.

This would be really, really hard to do on the M1S because there is too much material to bend back and inward to make a stake. You'd have to do it not from the side of the plate, but from the face of it, which would also be extremely hard, if not impossible to do.

It doesn't hurt anything, but it does rub me wrong, as that is NOT how its suppose to be.

EDITED TO ADD:

Also...the M1S charging handle is less "beefy" than Colts. As a result it flexes more. This might cause some scraping during the rearward stroke of the charging if you press down hard like a barbarian. However, the scraping is happening during the forward stroke after you let go of it.

It has been noted in the past on this forum (and I've confirmed this personally by measuring) that the M1S charging handle is shorter on the face where the gas hole is. This *might* make the tolerance sloppier as to where it "grabs" onto the ledge on the bolt carrier. This can cause the CH to be just ever so slightly tipped more than would be a real charging handle. This, plus a taller receiver end plate has created a situation where the charging handle is scraping.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top