Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 7:21:14 PM EDT
Title says it all:  Will a quality chrome lined HBar Barrel (RRA, Colt, Bushmaster) hold 1MOA with quality ammo and a free float tube of  LaRue/DD claiber???

What has been your experience???
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Black Hills Blue Box 68gr out of a BM 20" HBAR was the only time I truly shot 1moa at 100 yards. No freefloat, but off of sandbags.

Chrome-lining isn't nearly as bad for accuracy as some claim. FN-SPRs, some of the finer bolt-guns out there, have chrome-lined barrels.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone else??? BTT for the late crew....
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. Cav arms Mid-length chrome lined 1:9 barrel, DD9.5, Winchester white box 62 gr.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Will chrome lined barrel hold 1MOA????

Maybe, but I'm too cheap to buy accurate ammo to find out.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
yes it will, but not as well as a non will, even if ever so slightly. The rounds you shoot have alot to do with moa.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I know that this is an AR thread, but I think this is relevant.  I used to think chrome lined equalled less accurate.  I really don't think so now (or am on the fence at least).  The FN SPR's are bolt guns with chrome lined bores - and from the rumors, they are turned down M240 barrels at that.  They are fine, very accurate guns that are easily capable of MOA or better when fed proper ammo.  I'm not an internal ballistics expert by any means, but it seems that if they can be accurate in .308, no reason they can't be in .223/5.56 guise.  I am now of the opinion that it is just a QC issue, and chrome lined bores can be very accurate rifles if put together right (ie, not by me).
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Absolutely, positively. Providing you have a good chrome lined barrel, and a gun that is set up to shoot accurately, it will certainly do sub moa. Not half moa, but sub moa, sure. Done it and seen it plenty.

What were the stats on the 16" rifle you were shooting at a 600yd gong with?

Those were some impressive results.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Damn straight, I do it all the time

Quoted:
Absolutely, positively. Providing you have a good chrome lined barrel, and a gun that is set up to shoot accurately, it will certainly do sub moa. Not half moa, but sub moa, sure. Done it and seen it plenty.

+1

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell Yeah!

Tack
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Possible but not likely and it has nothing to do with quality control. It is the nature of the beast. Most do not even know what M.O.A. accuracy is, now flame away.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I admit I do not routinely shoot as well as I did in my above pic. I always figured it was more me than the gun. I have found that particular Ar to be my most accurate though. Most of my guns shoot better than I do though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Get 5/8" - 3/4" groups all the time out of my 20" hbar bushy barrel w/ a standard hand guard w/ a handload using a 55gr nosler b-tip.  It shoots good enough to almost be considered a varmint rifle, but 3/4" groups limits your effective range to about 250 yards on prairy dog sized kritters.  I would not be surprized if this barrel would hold 1/2" groups with some more load development and a free float tube.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Possible but not likely and it has nothing to do with quality control. It is the nature of the beast. Most do not even know what M.O.A. accuracy is, now flame away.

You asked, so flame on.............
Thanks for the "help,"  but I wasn't looking for a comment on my abilities or knowledge base.  This forum is one of the best places for info on the ar platform and shooting in general that I have ever seen.  I don't know that much and I don't post that ofter but I try to contribute  when I can.  When I can't, I don't chime in with less than constructive information.  I know what MOA is and I know the multiple variable that contribute to external ballistics and accuracy.  I have several custom built rifles and have been shooting prairie dogs for a while now.  

so, to rephrase, do your chrome line barrels keep 1 MOA or are they less accurate than that???

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#18]
A good quality barrel of any type should be able to hold sub MOA groups, assuming the rifleman and the ammunition is up to the task.  

Bigbore, I think you're wrong about chrome always equaling poorer accuracy.  Way back in the day, when they started chroming small-bore barrels, the techniques weren't as refined as they are today.  As I said above, if the barrel is of good quality and properly made, it should be more than able to hold MOA or better.  This is because current manufacturing techniques allow the maker to keep the chrome layer both very consistent and very well bonded to the bore.  As long as that manufacturer has bothered to make the basic barrel with good tolerances and proper treatments, the result will be a good barrel.

I will not buy "cheap" anything when it comes to firearms parts (I value maintaining all my parts in their original locations and conditions), but most especially I won't buy a cheap barrel.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#20]
If you are going for accuracy I would get a chrome-moly 20'' with no flash hider. I noticed a slight decrease in accuracy when I had my flash hider installed.

My next rifle will probably get a A2 chrome lined setup. For SHTF situations. K.I.S.S for sure.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You asked, so flame on.............
Thanks for the "help,"  but I wasn't looking for a comment on my abilities or knowledge base.  This forum is one of the best places for info on the ar platform and shooting in general that I have ever seen.  I don't know that much and I don't post that ofter but I try to contribute  when I can.  When I can't, I don't chime in with less than constructive information.  I know what MOA is and I know the multiple variable that contribute to external ballistics and accuracy.  I have several custom built rifles and have been shooting prairie dogs for a while now.  

so, to rephrase, do your chrome line barrels keep 1 MOA or are they less accurate than that???

My comments had nothing to do with your abilities or knowledge nor was it an invitation to you to flame. It was indeed constructive so let me reprase, no, chrome linied barrels are not the way to go for consistint 1 M.O.A accuracy. and most do not know what proves 1 MOA accuracy. 5 shots not 3 not 6, 7, etc. 5 shots one after the other, you do not get to call flyers. if you shoot a flyer, the next shot is no. 1 and the group starts again. Shoot 5 consecutive groups of five consecutive shots and you have proven the rifles accuracy

The float tube has nothing to do with the barrels inherent accuracy. The float tube assures the same point of impact in various different positions, sling tension or how you rest the rifle. You said you know the multiple variables that that contribute to accuracy? Crome lining is one of them.

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Well my Bushmaster 14.5" M4 govt profile 1/7 twist with DD 7.0 rail, KAC 2 stage trigger, TA31 ACOG and using 75 grain red box Black Hills ammo shot consistant 1 MOA.  Some times a bit over sometimes a bit under but always capable of one or more 5 shot groups that were 1" or under on any given day.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

With a better quality made barrel it is very possible and most likely...

And for those of you who dont know what the definition is for MOA accuracy... 'Minute Of Arc' also known as arcminute, is a unit of angular measurement... 1 MOA almost exactly subtends one inch at 100 yards...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

My comments had nothing to do with your abilities or knowledge nor was it an invitation to you to flame. It was indeed constructive so let me reprase, no, chrome linied barrels are not the way to go for consistint 1 M.O.A accuracy. and most do not know what proves 1 MOA accuracy. 5 shots not 3 not 6, 7, etc. 5 shots one after the other, you do not get to call flyers. if you shoot a flyer, the next shot is no. 1 and the group starts again. Shoot 5 consecutive groups of five consecutive shots and you have proven the rifles accuracy

The float tube has nothing to do with the barrels inherent accuracy. The float tube assures the same point of impact in various different positions, sling tension or how you rest the rifle. You said you know the multiple variables that that contribute to accuracy? Crome lining is one of them.

Hey Forward_Assist, I almost didn't notice your reply, kind of got tangled up with ker2222's quote

Any way, I understand what your saying know, and I totally agree chrome isn't the way to go if your wanting a competition match grade barrel...

And with that being said, I do own and have seen many modern chrome lined barrels shoot 1 MOA and they had achieved doing it in the manner you have described...

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#25]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YES!!  My 16" RRA chrome-lined M4 barrel shoots 10 shot 1 MOA groups at 100 yds with groups with 55 fmj without a free float handguard.  I use a Midwest Industries 2-piece rail handguard.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top