Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 5:16:15 PM EDT
Any website that I can find info explains how the AR gas system works. Thanks.
Hank
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me give it a shot.

You shoot your round.  The round expels gas as it leaves the barrel.  Some of the gas is pushed through the gas tube.  The gas that was in the tube pushes the bolt back to chamber another round (all in the upper receiver).

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I know all that, I'm not sure which part in the upper rceiver reacts with the gas. I don't have an AR yet, looking at the part diagram, I don't see anything like a piston to take the gas and push the bolt back. How is the gas sealed in the upper receiver? I guess when I have my AR, it may become clear, but I just want to understand more, so I know what to look for in case something go wrong on the new rifle. Thanks.
Hank
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The gas is routed directly into the Bolt/carrier assembly. It pressurizes what you would call a chamber in there behind the gas rings. When this happens, the gas pressure pushes the carrier rearward, unlocking the bolt, and venting the excess gas out of the gas ports on the side of the carrier.

Hope this clears it up a little.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The gas travels through a gas tube. The tube starts at the gas block (where the front sight is) and is hidden under the handguards. It extends into the upper receiver. There is a snorkel (for lack of a better term) on top of the bolt carrier. The gas moves into the snorkel to propel the bolt carrier assembly rearward.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Is carrier key (like a feed tube?) the mating part to take the gas from the gas tube and pass the gas into a chamber (in bolt carrier?) behind bolt and the bolt rings seal the gas chamber? When the chamber pressurized, it drive the carrier back and unlock the bolt. When the bolt unlocked, the gas pressure in the barrel acts like a blow back system, continue to push the bolt/carrier assembly back. I am just guessing by reading the part diagram.

Hank
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
GO HERE!

GREAT resourse, rifleman...  everyone should read this who can't REALLY explain how there rifle works...
btw, got to love question 8 in the final exam at the VERY bottom of the page, lol
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL  hmm,   would have to go with the shotgun,  my best friend caint shoot worth a shit.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top