Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 4:04:05 PM EDT
I went to Denny's Guns today and  bought a Magpul enhanced trigger guard, but I can't get the old one out...anyone have any recommendations?

Do I need to go buy a punch? If so, what size?

Please help! Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Drive out the rear roll pin, then push in the right side of the front spring loaded pin and rotate it out.

Just use a small drill bit or such as a punch if you don't have one.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Drive out the rear roll pin, then push in the right side of the front spring loaded pin and rotate it out.

Just use a small drill bit or such as a punch if you don't have one.

+1 if you dont have a punch the proper size drill bit works as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a half inch to one inch board and drill a quarter inch hole all the way through near a corner, about 1/4 inch in from the edge on both sides of the corner.  Then you will need to get the right size roll pin punch (special for roll pins that has the tit in the middle to keep the ends from mushrooming).  I use a Brownell's 1/8 inch.  Put the roll pin over the 1/4 inch hole and make sure the trigger guard "ear" is supported by the wood.  Drive out the pin using a large hammer and hit it like you have a pair.  Don't peck at it.  The pin should come out fairly easily unless you have already pecked at it with light taps and a flat punch and have mushroomed up the head of the pin.  When putting the new pin in oil it up real good with MiliTech-1 oil or some other thick lubricating oil.  Use a 1/8 inch roll pin holder and start the new pin in until the holder almost touches the trigger guard's ears.  Then use the roll pin punch to finish driving it in until it is just below flush.    
I put one of the Mag-Pul trigger guards in last night and the above is how I did it.  total time less than 5 minutes.   I liked the one I put on the pistol so much that two more are on the way.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome, thanks guys!

Big-Bore, thanks for the detailed write up!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah, apparently the Magpul trigger guard isn't compatible with the Tango Down battle grip.

Nevermind, got it on just fine! Thanks again folks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I got mine out fine, but whats with the tiny threaded pin for the front?
Does it thread into the new Magpul trigger guard? Is it a tiny Allen?

Does anyone know what size the tiny Allen wrench would be?

On a side note, since I shot last I have installed an Enidine hydro buffer, an M4 telestock
rubber pad, and a rubberized ergo grip.

I hope soon to need a light to flash in my ACOG to tell me I have fired! hiswill surely beat me into submission next time out.
hanks,Nuts{WoC}
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, it's an Allen alright. I have a bunch here but none that small.
2:40am and I am still coming to grips with not being able to finish this little project tonight  =(

I love the Magpul trigger guard. It's smooth, looks great, and as long as you have a teeny tiny Allen wrench, it easy enough to install.

Be sure to NOT break your lower tapping out the old roll pin or smacking in the new one! There's a great thread here (search for 'trigger' on the AR board and look for something like "I broke my lower") discussing installation.

Nuts{WoC}

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Fort Myers, FL.
I finally got the Magpul Trigger guard on, and it's a very nice little mod to have. It follows the line of the lower coming from the magwell, and is nice and smooth.

I still haven't made it out to try the Enidine buffer yet, but I doubt it will allow the bolt to stay open after the last shot. We shal see.

Nuts{WoC}
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top