Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 11:44:32 PM EDT
Well I finally gave up one of my babys to my daughters.   Their mom is serving in operation Iraqi Freedom  and one of my daughters wanted a rifle like her mother carries, And since we live in THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF KALIFORNIA and not to mention no money, we couldnt go out and get a new rifle.   Well I have two Colt COMP HBAR's   and their just too heavy for my girls to shoot (ages 13 and 17), so even though my wife carries a M16A2 made by FN we decided to build up an M4gery so they could more easily handle it.  
Well it was a slow day at work tonight so I went to work on the M4.   I've never done any dissasembly on AR's so I was kind of nervous but all went well.  well at least after I found all the little springs  that went flying (now I know) and pretty much all the parts for this build were aquired here in the equipment  exchange, and also the info on the proper tq for the barrel.  I used my other sporter to show a before and after shot.   I will supprise the girls with it tomorrow after school.

COLT COMP HBAR  upper and lower  from dad.  me
BUSHY  14.5" with perm Phantom      from  GDS_SCOTT
YHM handguards                                  from LOKNLOD    
RRA Tac handle                                    from ChaperJoe
Scope is a cheap aimpoit copy            from Jachyiscxd   (no comments please, the girls will love it)
RRA stock                                             from the equip exchange ?????
Hogue grip                                             EBAY  8 bucks!
Tools                                                      Bravo comp.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#2]
You're a good dad.   Tell us about her reaction when you hand it to her!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:34:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Want  29 year old son, who is still waiting on his first "legal" AR?  

I dont have the illegal one anymore, it went back once I found out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:41:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well I finally gave up one of my babys to my daughters.   Their mom is serving in operation Iraqi Freedom  and one of my daughters wanted a rifle like her mother carries, And since we live in THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF KALIFORNIA and not to mention no money, we couldnt go out and get a new rifle.   Well I have two Colt COMP HBAR's   and their just too heavy for my girls to shoot (ages 13 and 17), so even though my wife carries a M16A2 made by FN we decided to build up an M4gery so they could more easily handle it.  
Well it was a slow day at work tonight so I went to work on the M4.   I've never done any dissasembly on AR's so I was kind of nervous but all went well.  well at least after I found all the little springs  that went flying (now I know) and pretty much all the parts for this build were aquired here in the equipment  exchange, and also the info on the proper tq for the barrel.  I used my other sporter to show a before and after shot.   I will supprise the girls with it tomorrow after school.

COLT COMP HBAR  upper and lower  from dad.  me
BUSHY  14.5" with perm Phantom      from  GDS_SCOTT
YHM handguards                                  from LOKNLOD    
RRA Tac handle                                    from ChaperJoe
Scope is a cheap aimpoit copy            from Jachyiscxd   (no comments please, the girls will love it)
RRA stock                                             from the equip exchange ?????
Hogue grip                                             EBAY  8 bucks!
Tools                                                      Bravo comp.

i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/brianm767/IMGP6536.jpg

i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/brianm767/xxxxxx.jpg

You sound like a good guy...once again, I wish my dad had done those kinda things for me...

Question though: HOW!?!? can you have 30 round mags, flashiders, pistol grips, and collapsable stocks in Kali???
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:01:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Holy Cow, very,very nice AR.   That is one lucky little girl.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:04:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I dont think so.................. not legal in kali unless you are a LEO.

BTW nice M4 build out of sight, out of mind
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:52:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Thats a very nice looking set up. The girls should be very happy
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:03:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice job looks great, sure the gals will love it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#10]
My AR's are granfathered , they have been in my posseion since the early  or mid 90's and they are registerd with the state as assault rifles,  So this is not a newly constructed rifle,  so basicly these are just replacement parts on a legaly owned and registerd  assault rifle.  All of these parts were legal to be on this gun when it was registerd, If there is any problem with the stock, since its a newer oner?  I do have a 4 pos car stock I've had since before the ban I could also put on it.    But I believe its legal since  this rifle, when purchased was available with a collaspable stock on  it ,since they were still legal in Kali at that time.  And when registerd you didnt have to describe what stock was on the rifle.
And also as far as the magizines go, we are allowed to have and keep any mags , no matter what the round count is as long as they were obtained before the Kali ban, and I got lots of them. but we can't bring in any new ones or transfer ownership of any to anyone else.  But one thing we can do is order parts individually for replacement parts for old mags.  so basicly you can get all the parts to buid up a mag??   And also lets say I was to go to a gun show in utah,  and I was to purchase , ohhh lets say thirty or fourty  30rd ar mags twenty G3 mags and five 30rd 10/22 mags, as long as there is no date of manufactore on them that is after our ban or a LEO stamp on thim , there is no way for the state to know when you got them, and since we never had to register or list how many we owned before the ban ,     get my point???   But of course I would never do that but  I've heard of other people doing it.

But the one thing I can't do is actually give this gun to my kids.  they can shoot it as long as they are with me, but when my daughter moves out  I can't legally give this to her.   when registerd origanaly you had the option to put rifles in as many peoples names as you wanted as long as they lived in the same house with a DL showing it as their residence, and when mine were registerd only my wife was of legal age (not good though if you get a divorce) to have her name put on them and at that time my son had a Utah Dl so when I die she can keep these guns, but my son who is a Sherriffs deputie in Kali legally wont be able to have these ,   But my son as we speek is looking into getting a letter from his dept authorizing him to purchase an AR , if he gets it he's buying a  RRA or a Bushy .   Several other deputies have done this from his dept.,

When the ban was going to be put in place I went out to buy up some lower recievers so I could register them as assault rifles so I could later build up some AR's , but there was a rush on them and The only one I could find was a cast OLY one and the guy wanted something like 200 bucks for it, I passed, I should have driven to Nevada or utah, hell I should have bought the Oly, It  would have been better than nothin!   But I did get a Daewoo dr200 and a Springfiel Armory SAR8 that was a 3 that was double stamped . And actually one of my HBAR's was also purchased at  that time,   I have previously owned five other AR's but I often got bored and wanted something different  so I would trade or sell them off for something new,  so when it came down to the ban dead line I was cought with only one . so I had to pay a high price to get the one that was the host gun for my daughters rifle.    Man I wish I would have never got rid of all of my other Ar's , stupid me.   I really miss a little PWA Comando CAR15 I had ,  that was a coll gun. Hell their all cool!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Holy Cow, very,very nice AR.   That is one lucky little girl.

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#12]
wish my dad gave me an AR
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Great way to pass BRD on to the next generation!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Very cool indeed....matter of fact?...I'm a father of three daughters....Candice (turns 14 next month), Marissa who is 12 and Rachel who is 7...and they played a small but very real role in my selling of my Bushy .308 a few months back as...I have no sons to hand my firearms down to and felt/knew that the Bushy .308 would be...

1. Extremely intimidating for any of my daughters to learn on.

2. The fixed stock would present "Length Of Pull" problems and...

3. More than a tad heavy for them to handle...both in mass weight and .308 recoil.

and even Dad knew he'd be better suited with a nice, light, compact, fast handling M4 type carbine...so away went the bushy .308 and in came the first carbine I've ever owned...a 16" bushmaster patrolmans carbine...which currently has a little berak-in related extraction issue but will be resolved shortly..but outside of that?...man is it sweet.

I'm hoping to be able to aqquire at least two more M4 Type Carbines in the near future (before the AWB window of opportunity slams shut) so that I wind up able to will each one of my daughters a carbine of their own as they are just so cool in the fact that they make such a wonderful firearm for them to learn on...as the big advantages I see are...

1. The greatly reduced and non-intimidating recoil of an affordable yet very effective caliber and...

2. The 6 Position Collapsible Stocks permit one to "Custom Adjust" length of pull to accomodate even a small 12 year old daughter and...

3. It's a life-long carbine they'll be just as proud to own as an adult as they were when they were a child.

Which are ALL extremely cool features...A MANPOWER CARBINE...that even a 12 year old child/daughter can learn to handle well, love and shoot....effectively.

Good on ya brian...I hope to eventually be able to do the same for my three daughters and....

L8R, Bill.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#15]
You're a cool dad.

My dad gave me my first AR-15 SP1 and I fell in love with it.

My father only have a 7.62 X 39 AR for now but he will convert it to a 6.8 mm SPC this Fall.

My two boys (9 y/o and 6 y/o) have their own .22 mag AK and Galil rifles.

After I completed my current middy build, I'll get them .22 LR uppers so that they could use with my carbine lowers.

Later on I'll give them their own lowers and when they're bored with their .22s, I'll get them lightweight AR uppers.

We are a three generation BRD family.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top