Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 9:13:05 PM EDT
Is it legal to run an M16 bolt carrier in an AR15?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats what i was thinking. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
some say yes some say no.

supposedly colt now ships their rifles with auto carriers
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I think colt ships all their  rifles that way now. So anyone buying  any new colt  it comes with the auto bolt carrier. I don't think its a problem
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard yes and no. I don't see why it would be a problem unless you had an illegal sear and full auto FCG.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've heard yes and no. I don't see why it would be a problem unless you had an illegal sear and full auto FCG.

True, also its not like anyone would really find-out if you did...i just said "no" to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
People run fa carriers in there clone H&Ks  and Aks why not the AR.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
If anyone feels uncomfortable with their M16 carrier, email me and I'll trade you my semi carrier for it.  I'm only here to help.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, legal it is.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#10]
As I understand the law it is all about the trigger group not the B/C.
The B/C has nothing to do with the trigger.
With the exception that it cocks it back.

The problem lies in the fact if the LEO or ATF dude does not know what is up he could hassle you and cause problems.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Is it legal to run an M16 bolt carrier in an AR15?

Yes it is.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
As I understand the law it is all about the trigger group not the B/C.
The B/C has nothing to do with the trigger.
With the exception that it cocks it back.

The problem lies in the fact if the LEO or ATF dude does not know what is up he could hassle you and cause problems.  

If the LEO or ATF dude does not know what is up, how is he going to know what kind of bolt carrier you are running?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh not this horse shit again.
There have been numerous threads on this, it has been discussed ad nauseum and then discussed again.

YES it is legal in a semi-auto AR15 when there is no FA FCG present. My new LE6920 has an M16 carrier, and so do most of the Colt LE carbines shipping this year. A post came up some time ago that pointed out a case where the BATFE got burned in court because they could not make an AR15 that had an M16 BCG with semi auto FCG fire on full auto, the case was thrown out.

In no way can M16 carrier alone can not make an AR fire full auto any more than an M16 barrel, handguards or buttstock.
Without the auto-sear, and M16 FCG, the FA Bolt Carrier functions just like  a semi auto carrier, except it carries a bit more weight, which is a good thing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No

For the love of Christ-yes it's freaking legal!!

Hopefully this letter will put this issue to rest once and for all. The relevant portion for us starts on page two:

Can we FINALLY agree that an M16 carrier is perfectly legal? Please?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No

Hopefully this letter will put this issue to rest once and for all. The relevant portion for us starts on page two:

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/6520-ColtM16CarrierLetter-1a.jpg

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/6521-ColtM16CarrierLetter-2a.jpg

That's the letter I was looking for...
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#16]
DR, Forest et all. Please feel free to take my links and use them whenever this question comes up. Perhaps if we post them a few thousand times more the word may actually start to get out

http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/6520-ColtM16CarrierLetter-1a.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/6521-ColtM16CarrierLetter-2a.jpg
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:41:13 AM EDT
[#17]
So long as installing a M16 bolt carrier does not allow the ar15 to fire more than one round per trigger pull its perfectly legal. There isn't a law that says you can't. However, if a BATF agent wants to get up you a$$ about it, he could since there might be a conspiracy to make a FA. And that is what it all boils down to. But the BATF agent can’t just drag you off to jail without proof or enough evidence to prove a crime was being committed. It’s called false imprisonment. Furthermore, the BATF have more things to worry about than some guy at the range using a M16 bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Time to make a sticky with that BATFE letter as the first post.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#19]
The letter needs to be tacked on a thread titled: "M16 Carriers in Semi Auto - Legal or Not?".
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#20]
hey all you fuggin' jagoffs with 50 posts- don't respond with definitive YES or NO answers to legal questions regarding FULL AUTO or NFA anymore, it just isn't fair to the guys who don't pretend to know the answer and ask to be sure.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/6520-ColtM16CarrierLetter-1a.jpg

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/6521-ColtM16CarrierLetter-2a.jpg

+1

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the info. Hope i didn't start a sh!t storm.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
hey all you fuggin' jagoffs with 50 posts- don't respond with definitive YES or NO answers to legal questions regarding FULL AUTO or NFA anymore, it just isn't fair to the guys who don't pretend to know the answer and ask to be sure.  

+1000

I was so pissed when I saw that I about punched mt computer screen!  If you dont know then keep your pie hole closed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1000

I was so pissed when I saw that I about punched mt computer screen!  If you dont know then keep your pie hole closed.

Oh Devl, but they DO know, that's the kicker!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1000

Maybe time for a tranquilizer?
You joined in 2002 and have 6900 posts, that is an average of 6 posts a day, everyday,  for the last 3 years. It's possible that at least once you said something you shouldn't have.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Because post count determines knowledge of the AR platform.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1000

+1 Thank you!!!

BTW: Why do you need an FA carrier in a semi gun anyway...Unless you have the need to impress your friends.  Which.. by the way.. probably wont have a clue what you are talking about or showing them anyway. If you feel the need to have one.. You might just get labeled a poser and not even know it. There are a few at the range I go to.. The guy with his girlfriend and the tactical thigh holster walking all over the showroom yesterday as a matter of fact.... I dont think he heard me laugh....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The letter needs to be tacked on a thread titled: "M16 Carriers in Semi Auto - Legal or Not?".

+1

I agree wholeheartedly.... maybe spell it out even, "BATFE states M16 Bolt Carriers legal in ARs"

No Expert
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1000

+1 Thank you!!!

BTW: Why do you need an FA carrier in a semi gun anyway...Unless you have the need to impress your friends.  Which.. by the way.. probably wont have a clue what you are talking about or showing them anyway. If you feel the need to have one.. You might just get labeled a poser and not even know it. There are a few at the range I go to.. The guy with his girlfriend and the tactical thigh holster walking all over the showroom yesterday as a matter of fact.... I dont think he heard me laugh....

The slightly heavier weight of the M16 carrier has a positive effect on reliability as does the H-buffer.
My range friends are all former Combat Arms and aren't easily impressed unless you have an MLRS system in your back yard. Not looking to impress them with a FA carrier, just looking for any edge I can get. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because post count determines knowledge of the AR platform.

I bet you'd feel the opposite way were the post count reversed.  Actually, the number doesn't matter.  You usually start posting more after you start reading a little more and so on and so on.  I've run across the answer severall times after several "arguments" as well.

The guys with the higher post counts IRONICALLY seem to know the REAL answer to the question.

like _DR said, using an M16 carrier does NOT make you a poser.   Attending state college for 2 days and bragging about all of the pussy you see does make you a poser, however...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#31]
I have been told that the M16 carrier goes through a better heat treat then the semi bolt carrier.I just want my rifle to be as strong and solid as i can get it .Thats why i asked.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
DR, Forest et all. Please feel free to take my links and use them whenever this question comes up. Perhaps if we post them a few thousand times more the word may actually start to get out

http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/6520-ColtM16CarrierLetter-1a.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/6521-ColtM16CarrierLetter-2a.jpg

Thanks Chris!  I added a Q&A on this in the Parts FAQ of MD-AR15.com.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I use M16 carrier for reliabilty and all that but its main purpose is so I can slap my uppers on my friends M16 lowers and wail on em full auto.

And just to correct whoever said I joined in 2003 I joined in the 90's but had to change my screen name.  Yes I once said HBARs are more accurate, hollow points are better than FMJ in 5.56, battery powered optics have no place on an AR, etc.  Thankfully some people bitch slapped me real quick and got me straight.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top