Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 1:57:32 AM EDT
I own 1 of each, Ak 47 and AR 15. to me these are close quarters weapons for self defense. What type of rifle would I want if I wanted to engage targets from extream distances.

No i am not planning on infiltrating an abandoned clock tower and start going postal from long distance. I just like to have in my personal arsenal a little bit of everything the military/police/foreign invaders have at their disposal.

Makes me feel better to be on equal terms with the local law and military. I mean I know I could never get all the stuff they have but when the SHTF I want to at least go down shooting back.

So what type of rifles do swat/ US military use. If anyone has pics and or links to where I could purchase one I would be greatfull.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:59:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to the precision rifle forum in the armory.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for the precision rifle forum.

Cliff Notes, get a Remmington 700 PSS LTR or Full size.  Best bang for your buck unless you have plenty of bucks.

Max
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:34:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:43:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
IMO, the Tikka T3 Tactical is the best option for the $ right now.

BTW, what do you consider extreme  distances?

Probably any distance that I could not reach with the iron sights of my AR or AK. I plan on practicing enough with the iron sights of both weapons before actually buying any type of sniper rifle.

Thanks everyone for your input I will be checking out all of your suggestions. I am glad you guys suggested products with low cost as I forgot to mention I am not big on funds to just go and pick up any rifle.

You guys have any opinions on Drugonov style sniper rifles.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:46:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Go to the precision rifle forum in the armory.

Thanks man. I neglected to check that out befor posting. I probably would have still wanted to know what everyones opinions were on sniper rifles though. Thanks again for chiming in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:49:43 AM EDT
[#6]
savage 10fple2b  
oh and +1 for checking out  the precision rifles in the armory section
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:59:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:11:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Probably any distance that I could not reach with the iron sights of my AR or AK. I plan on practicing enough with the iron sights of both weapons before actually buying any type of sniper rifle.

I dont have any problem with iron sights on an AR at 1000yds.

If that is true yo are a bad dude. And I would hate to be caught in your crosshairs.

Quoted:

Yes, but it not  good one.

You do not like those commie guns or are they just that bad.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1000 yards well you did go to that long range class the other week. did'nt you???
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#10]

they are that bad
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:49:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If that is true yo are a bad dude. And I would hate to be caught in your crosshairs.

Quoted:

The dragunov rifle was not really designed to be a precision sniper rifle or even for a well trained soldier in a sniper role.  It was meant to be a platoon level wepaon that would give the average solider the ability to engage targets farther out then normal.  The Russians felt that many soldiers carrying a scoped rifle was more effective then a single heavily trained sniper.  It was their "quantity is better then quality" philosophy.

Oddly enough, they may have had this right.  At least the concept of giving an average soldier the ability to reach out farther normal.  You can see it with the emergence of the scoped M-14 in standard army platoons again in Iraq.  i dont know what this program is called.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top