Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 4:30:11 PM EDT
I was looking at getting some spare parts to keep on hand for my 6721, but the cost of the Colt stuff is really high.

Since the Colt parts are covered by the lifetime warranty, any spares would only be for temporary fixes anyway.

I was looking at a LPK and a Bolt Assembly - do I need Colt parts or would Bushy or similar work just fine?

Thanks,

5Shot
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushy, of course would fit, but it would defeat the point in owning a Colt.

You'd best watch it though, the Kool-aid drinkers will come and they'll lay the smack down, just a friendly warning from a victim of the Kool-aids...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#2]
5Shot, when I started collecting spare parts a few years ago I was in the exact same boat that you are in now. At the time the majority of the ARs in my collection were Colts, but I also had a Bushy, an Oly, and a DPMS thrown in for flavor.

Now, my collection is more Rock River Arms than Colt since I started building my own.

It's true that Colt's have a lifetime warranty, but would you be willing to go through the hassle of shipping and downtime to correct a small problem? A few years ago I would have (and did), but now I try to fix whatever I can myself.

As far as brands go, I have some parts that I insist on being brand name Colt, yet other parts aren't as critical. For me the bolt and carrier group is one thing that I insist on being genuine Colt-even my Rock River ARs run Colt bolts and carriers.

If you are getting sticker shock due to the price of Colt parts I would suggest that you look around the Equipment Exchange here. I have found excellent deals on genuine Colt bolts, carriers, and LPKs.

If you still can't find a Colt bolt group a CMT bolt that has been magnafluxed is the closest thing to OEM Colt that money can buy. You can find them HERE

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, first of all the Colt LPK's are large pin (.170) and most others are not (.155)
aside from the hammer, trigger and disconnector, a cheaper kit will do, bushmaster makes good stuff.
you can get the .170 parts from bushmaster as well, alittle more expensive but less than Specialized Armament
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Generaly speaking,  the three most important parts are the fire control group,  bolt,  and barrel.  These parts are the whole point of owning a colt.  It is silly to switch them out.  They are MP tested to ensure reliablility. As I said,  this is kind of the point of owning colt.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't sweat the small stuff.  Just get some extra parts for emergency repairs.  

Send your 6721 back to Colt for the big stuff.  

Like CJan_NH said, "would you be willing to go through the hassle of shipping and downtime to correct a small problem? "  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Generaly speaking,  the three most important parts are the fire control group,  bolt,  and barrel.  These parts are the whole point of owning a colt.  It is silly to switch them out.  They are MP tested to ensure reliablility. As I said,  this is kind of the point of owning colt.

As I mentioned, these would be temporary repairs, since the parts you mentioned would be covered by warranty, and would be replaced by Genuine Colt Parts.

I am only talking about spares for a quick fix.  I can send  the whole rifle to Colt for repair for less than difference between a Bushy Carrier Assy and a Colt.

5Shot
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Like CJan_NH said, "would you be willing to go through the hassle of shipping and downtime to correct a small problem? "  

Colt_SBR  

I would most certainly fix the small stuff myself - no problem there, but for bigger problems it would be headed back to Colt.

5Shot
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Bushy, of course would fit, but it would defeat the point in owning a Colt.

You'd best watch it though, the Kool-aid drinkers will come and they'll lay the smack down, just a friendly warning from a victim of the Kool-aids...

Bushmaster standard LPK's will not fit... Bushmaster uses standard .154" hammer/trigger pins and the COLT 6721 uses .170" pins... The Bolt/Carrier will work though...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was looking at getting some spare parts to keep on hand for my 6721, but the cost of the Colt stuff is really high.

Since the Colt parts are covered by the lifetime warranty, any spares would only be for temporary fixes anyway.

I was looking at a LPK and a Bolt Assembly - do I need Colt parts or would Bushy or similar work just fine?

Thanks,

5Shot

The Bushmaster LPK's for the large pin COLTS are $49.95 right from thier site... Not to bad of a price...

Heres a place to get individual COLT LPK parts...
www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0660zAR15%20-%20FIRE%20CONTROL%20ASSEMBLY

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Im still using the same hammer in one of my Bushmasters...12 years now and its survived 2 barrel changes and thousands of rounds.In any event Bushmaster makes the large diameter FCG parts so theres a quality cheaper alternative.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Sources of Genuine Colt:

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have to agree with Crotchy on this one!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#13]
yeah, that's a good point but I think he was referring to a reliable temporary fix that was a little less expensive then buying genuine COLT parts
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
yeah, that's a good point but I think he was referring to a reliable temporary fix that was a little less expensive then buying genuine COLT parts

EXACTLY!!

Aubrey - thanks for the list.

5Shot
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top