Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 3:11:58 AM EDT
OK, I am going to be shipping an AR lower that I sold.  It will, of course, be going to the buyer's FFL.  Who should I ship through?  May I send it to the FFL, or does my FFL have to send it to his FFL?  I'm confused!  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:23:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:23:59 AM EDT
[#2]
call and make sure the FFL is actually legit and use UPS with signature confirmation w/ insurance.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:11:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
call and make sure the FFL is actually legit and use UPS with signature confirmation w/ insurance.

also make sure that the ffl will accept it from a non-ffl.

there is a website you can go to, punch in the ffl# and it shows if its legit.

forget what it is though
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

also make sure that the ffl will accept it from a non-ffl.

there is a website you can go to, punch in the ffl# and it shows if its legit.

forget what it is though

Here ya go:

www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
newb question, but when ups asks for a contents description what should you put?

long gun? machine parts?  reciever?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]
When I shipped mine back to Bushmaster, got the shipping label, boxed it up and dropped it off at the UPS depot. They did not ask anything about it. Though when I got it back, there was a hole ripped in the box where I am sure some curious package handler just had to take a peek. They ripped the hole on the muzzle end so the birdcage was staring them right in the eye when they peeked in there, little shocking I would imagine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd go with FedEX over UPS, just because they seem to have a better handle on where everything is at any given time.  With ANY firearm, use their "Courier" service with the fastest delivery possible.  This gets you signatures every time it changes hands within FedEx, and the faster delivery reduces the chance for someone to take a liking to your stuff.  FWIW, this is how CMP delivers Garands.  It works.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
newb question, but when ups asks for a contents description what should you put?

long gun? machine parts?  reciever?

Rifle.  There is nothing to hide.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Ship US postal service. They do not and will not ask what is inside, just if it is perishable, hazardous, or liquid. I refuse to ship any weapon through UPS or Fed-Ex because first they want you to declaire it and second half the idiots don't know enough about the law. So they freak out  then ask if you included an FFL which you do not have to if shipping to an FFL. Handguns have to go next day but rifles are OK for ground. If not sure then ask for a file copy of his FFL, then throw the file copy in the box when you send it.  

I don't deal with UPS or Fed-Ex because they ask questions, they don't know the regulations, etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#10]
UPS has told me before that they wno't ship guns. OTher UPS locations have done it no problem.

I usually use DHL, a little cheaper and it all works the same..
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ship US postal service. They do not and will not ask what is inside, just if it is perishable, hazardous, or liquid. I refuse to ship any weapon through UPS or Fed-Ex because first they want you to declaire it and second half the idiots don't know enough about the law. So they freak out  then ask if you included an FFL which you do not have to if shipping to an FFL. Handguns have to go next day but rifles are OK for ground. If not sure then ask for a file copy of his FFL, then throw the file copy in the box when you send it.  

I don't deal with UPS or Fed-Ex because they ask questions, they don't know the regulations, etc.

Unless you have an FFL yourself, you are NOT allowed to ship a handgun through the Post Office, even if you ship it next day air.  It must go with FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I use USPS priority insured with signature confirmation. Usually the item gets there in three days or less. I think I paid about $12 for a complete lower. I would imagine a complete rifle would be around $20 and a stripped lower well under $10. Fed Ex is also pretty good. I try to avoid UPS at all costs. Unless it is free.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Though when I got it back, there was a hole ripped in the box where I am sure some curious package handler just had to take a peek. They ripped the hole on the muzzle end so the birdcage was staring them right in the eye when they peeked in there, little shocking I would imagine.

Are you sure that the flash suppressor itself didn't punch the hole in the box? I had a rifle mailed to my FFL that did just that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Now this is just the kinda advice that will get your handgun confiscated and give you 10 years in the pokey!

Collin. Talk with the receiving FFL, and ensure that he knows you are an unlicensed person. Many will flip out if they receive a firearm unannounced on the doorstep. Get in communication with the ffl. Some will not want to deal with an unlicensed person.
 Some unlicensed sellers request an "ink-signed" ffl license copy from the receiving ffl. This is a nice thing to request, but is not always possible, as many ffl's don't like to release the document to an unlicensed party. You should ask the ffl for the first three and the last five numbers from the his license. You go to the web site M4Madness gave and verify the license validity and address by submitting those digits. You should only ship the firearm to that address ONLY. Double check the expiration date as well.

A rifle can be shipped by post, and is best shipped registered mail, priority, and insured with signature confirmation.

UPS will accept your rifle as shipped to an ffl, and you can use ground, and must use the adult signature only option. UPS states they will only accept a firearm for shipment at their customer counter. Agent's and THE UPS  Store and similar will not accept complete firearms.
 In both the above and with any carrier, you MUST notify the carrier that you are shipping a firearm. They are forbidden from marking firearm on the package. Some carriers may ask if the firing mechanism has been separated from the firearm, or the bolt removed. They may ask other questions; some may show a skittishness about shipping a firearm, etc. If this is the case, perhaps there is another more knowledgeable staff member who could help you.

In all cases, make up a detailed sales receipt and include a copy in the box with the firearm and send a copy to the buyer in a separate mailing. Also ensure you have a copy of the shipping and return address inside the box incase the outside label is damaged.
 Put extra padding at the muzzle end, as this can easily breach the box.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:39:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I use USPS priority insured with signature confirmation. Usually the item gets there in three days or less. I think I paid about $12 for a complete lower. I would imagine a complete rifle would be around $20 and a stripped lower well under $10. Fed Ex is also pretty good. I try to avoid UPS at all costs. Unless it is free.

A stripped lower fits quite nicely in one of the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes designed for VCR tapes.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top