Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 7:09:18 AM EDT
I hope this is the correct forum to place this question. I want to make some steel hanging targets and I am looking for advice from people that have made some before. They would be for 100 yards with XM-193, Q3131A or Wolf. I have access to any thickness of plate steel from 1/4"-3". I can have whatever diameter or shape discs I want flame cut, I just have to pay our cost on the steel. I would like to have plates that can be used for a while, read that as not penetrated. I also have access to some cold rolled .160 material that we no longer use that I could probably get very cheaply, but these would have to disposable. So my questions are:

1. What is the best thickness, for it not to be penetrated, yet to still visibly react to a hit?

2. What is a reasonable diameter(s) for 100 yards? I know this varies with the skill of the shooter, sights/optics being used and so on. I want to make it easy enough for my 9 year old son to hit. If I could make one or two standard diameters, one fairly easy and one more challenging I might be able to make a limited run of plates so that I can make a few complete sets.

3. What is the best way to hang them? I see three different way:
A. Wood (2x4) frame with the plates hanging from 10-12 gauge wire.
B. Plates welded to angle iron arm welded to short length of pipe, which passes through wood dowel rod and is free to rotate. This would be supported by a wooden frame.
C. Same targets as above hanging from pipe fabricated from steel pipe (3/4" sched 40).

Thanks for your help, Andy
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#1]
You didn't mention what kind of steel you were using? AR400 is ok 223 will dent it a little at 100 yards, 30 caliber rifle rounds will punch right through it. AR500 is your best choice, mine is 1/4 thick and it is impervious to 223 and minor damage with 30 caliber. had eye bolts welded on the back and hang it with chains. so far no problem, once hit the chain and no damage.

BTW plates were 12x12 which I think is plenty big for any range really.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Ronin: The steel is ASME SA516-G70. The chains are a great idea. Thanks, Andy
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Chain sucks, you will break it over and over and over again...unless you and everyone who shoots at it never misses. I used 1/4 chain and when I host shoots I have the targets knocked off the chain 4 or 5 times in a day. Ugh.

Weld some solid bar stock to the back of the target, then use angle iron on the front to make a "V" that protects the bar. At the top of the bar, where it will hang, drill out a 5/8" hole and then hang it by rebar (easily and cheaply replaced).

Not only will the target swing (which deflects spall and absorbs energy), but chances are you won't be running downrange all the time to fix broken chain.

Trust me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:18:28 AM EDT
[#4]
"unless you and everyone who shoots at it never misses."

Swinggset: You mean you sometimes miss? I thought I had missed once but I later came to find out that I had in fact aimed at the wrong target, so it wasn't really a miss. Just a hit on the wrong target.

What size plates do you use? I am thinking of 10"x10"x3/8" plates, I just want a good reaction to hits. I have 6' of 1/2" grade 70 chain that I could use to hang some targets from. The 5/8" rebar would pass through it. What does your frame look like? Thanks, Andy

ETA: I just looked around the shop and in scrap we have some pieces that I could make into 12"x12"x3/8" and some 1/2"x8"x9" scraps.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I use 8", 10" & 12" armor plates, and my frames are made of downed log (free), in an inversed "U" shape, bound together with timber spikes. They're easily replaced, and will withstand alot of abuse.

Quoted:
"unless you and everyone who shoots at it never misses."

Swinggset: You mean you sometimes miss? I thought I had missed once but I later came to find out that I had in fact aimed at the wrong target, so it wasn't really a miss. Just a hit on the wrong target.

What size plates do you use? I am thinking of 10"x10"x3/8" plates, I just want a good reaction to hits. I have 6' of 1/2" grade 70 chain that I could use to hang some targets from. The 5/8" rebar would pass through it. What does your frame look like? Thanks, Andy

ETA: I just looked around the shop and in scrap we have some pieces that I could make into 12"x12"x3/8" and some 1/2"x8"x9" scraps.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top