Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 4:56:12 PM EDT
I have a Colt SP1 and havent shot it in several years.  I would like to start taking it out occasionally.  I would like to know some ideas to update and service the rifle?  Last time I shot it everything went fine, but I would like to replace some possible parts to prevent damage,to keep it running smooth, and accurate.  Thanks.

PS  Im looking for internal parts that have newer versions or could possibly be worn.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I would simply tear the rifle down, clean and lube everything and shoot it. If you haven’t shot it in years then nothing could have worn out, worst case might be corrosion if you neglected to look it over once in a while.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#2]
just take it apart clean and lube as stated above....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]
What about for an SP1 that has been pretty well used? What would be considered a good list of things to replace during a basic refurb?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What about for an SP1 that has been pretty well used? What would be considered a good list of things to replace during a basic refurb?

Trading the lower to me for a newer A2 lower...

I wish...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]
field strip it.......run some CLP down the barrel and dry it out then go shooting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Trading the lower to me for a newer A2 lower...

I wish...

Why don't you just go buy the receiver you want instead of putting it into every thread that mentions Colt, receiver, or SP1....  I know this might sound cold, but NO ONE is going to trade you a Colt lower for your Mega.  

No seriously, its not going to happen.

Really......I mean it.
I'm not kidding.

Honest.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I know, I just try to stay optimistic. I can never find a stripped SP1 lower for sale though...I've looked on the EE, gunbroker, gunsamerica...I dunno where else to look. If you can point a place out to me, I'd be glad to just buy one.

Seriously, though, I'll stop with the offering.

ETA: I've been thinking about trying to buy my uncle's lower but I dunno how much would be a good price. Think $300 or so  for the stripped SP1 lower would be good? It has a couple blemishes but nothing a refinishing couldn't fix.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Sir if the rifle was in fireing condition when last shot... It should still be fine unless RUST has gotten it. Nothing really can wear out by sitting. But for replacement parts to have on hand for the rainy day deal. Is Gas rings, FCG springs, and Fireing pin retainer pin( cotter pin ). Just break her down and  clp her. Take her to the range and let her rip...... Good luck WarDawg
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top