Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 2:34:28 AM EDT
Is everybody still hating on that FX show Over There. I happen to enjoy it.  I noticed that most of the guys in their unit who carry M4's hardly ever use full Auto fire when in combat.

But the Insurgents insist on using it with there AK's all the time. This probably explains why no one ever gets hit. Except for the guy who lost his leg in the first episode. And he was hit with an IED so that does not count.

Anyone know what type of scope that the guy Angle is using to do all his sniper work with? Also are the ladies the only ones to carry full size M16's as they are the only ones I saw with them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:46:59 AM EDT
[#1]
The show sucks.  I watched a whole 5 minutes of it and it is not an accurate portrayal of the war.

Max
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:03:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is everybody still hating on that FX show Over There. I happen to enjoy it.  I noticed that most of the guys in their unit who carry M4's hardly ever use full Auto fire when in combat.

But the Insurgents insist on using it with there AK's all the time. This probably explains why no one ever gets hit. Except for the guy who lost his leg in the first episode. And he was hit with an IED so that does not count.

Anyone know what type of scope that the guy Angle is using to do all his sniper work with? Also are the ladies the only ones to carry full size M16's as they are the only ones I saw with them.

Angel is using an ACOG

Episode 2 was especially good when they shot up those cars try break through the check point. I like it, but I've always liked war shows. It's like Tour of Duty for a new generation of big kids.

If I want realistic, I'll watch the news (barely). When I want to be entertained I'll watch Over There
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:49:15 AM EDT
[#3]
FDull-auto is used by a well trained soldier only in an emergency,breaking contact or when the enemy is all over you other wise semi-auto is the order of the day.The women are in a resupply support unit so they carry the older standard A2s.Front line guys get M4s or in the marines case full size A4s.I think 3rd infantry,1st infantry,24th mechanized,airborne,rangers,Mps and any other job in the Army like artillery or tanks where you need a smaller handy weapon due to space restrictions or need for compactness and high speed will dictate what units get m4s.The show is not bad the first episode when they charged the enemy breaking cover when it wasnt needed was a little hollywood as oposed to common sense real wold situations but I like it especially episode 3 with the big guy that played in band of brothers as bull.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
! like it,some h-wood but not bad at all.they try to keep it real and show the thing:s our grunt:s have to deal with every day.Plus i just like seeing my weapon on t.v.with out having to go to war,which ALL suck
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I watched the new one last night...any one notice they're using Olympic Arms lowers??

They say g*****n WAY too much in that though...I doubt they really say that so much. It's OKAY I guess...I may watch it when I'm bored sometimes but it's not something I'd watch every time.

I'm still waiting for the next Band of Brothers series to come out, actually.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm still waiting for the next Band of Brothers series to come out, actually.

Band of Brothers is just insanely good...I REALLY enjoyed watching those. I would love it if they did another one!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I think they're going to do something with the Pacific Theater this year or next year....or 2007
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't wait for the episode when the 3ID pussies whine to the press, get sent home early, and the National Guard and Reserve has to take over their mission, which the 3ID had screwed up, despite the press' assertion otherwise.

I seriously got my fill of those incompetent cowards the first time; I don't need to waste my life watching a TV show about them.

And I am a lifetime member of the Marne association.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I enjoy it...although I think its a poor choice to show the Liberal soldiers cheating wife leaving her sone.  I know i know it happens in real life.  Putting it on tv in my opinion lets people think its the norm and is ok to do that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone else notice how often these people dance on the line of insubordination?  For volunteers they seem very pissed off at their lot.  JMHO
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#11]
If you can deal with a TON of BS than I guess you could enjoy that show...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#12]
insubordination...its in the script.I do like one thing its given the M4 its 15 minutes of fame.I like seeing that rifle prime time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#13]
It could be a lot worse than it is. Whoever does their scripts probably got out of the military twenty years ago assuming they were ever in, as it's a VN script in desert camouflage.

If it was about a REAL unit like the 101st things would run too smoothly to provide good drama. No drama equals bad TV.

What I find odd is most everyone has a PAQ or a PEQ, and there are almost no M68's in evidence. I thought 3rd ID carried long rifles, but I didn't have much to do with them. That had me believing they were using airsoft guns where the battery pack is in the laser body.

The only ACOG's I ever saw over there on Tour One were on flattop mounts. The unit bought a very few TA31F's, I'm about to drop the cash for an RCO.

Aside from that, the uniforms and gear are pretty good, someone spent a lot of cash with Point Blank for the woodland Interceptor OTV's Uncle Sam won't buy anymore and Specialty Defense for MOLLE stuff. Doesn't save the scripts, though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I watched the new one last night...any one notice they're using Olympic Arms lowers??

Yeah, I saw that too... About 5 minutes into the show after the General sends them out in the Humvee. Pay attention when they're in the bunker and they see the local kid waving and laughing at them through the scope... Oly isn't a government contractor, but they play one on t.v.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If it was about a REAL unit like the 101st things would run too smoothly to provide good drama. No drama equals bad TV.

Alright, I haven't served with the 101 and don't have a desire to, but of all the people I've ever met coming from them, only one has had anything good to say about them.  My brother's with them now (and was with them during the invasion), and has nothing but complaints about the communication, dissemination, planning, and leadership.

Must be luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I really was not too impressed with the very first show, but i gave it another chance and now i've changed my mind...it's really gotten pretty awesome.

yeah there were some stupid parts, like soldiers asking other soldiers what their nicknames mean, when really they have been together for months if not years in training and should already know. but things like that are necessary "hollywood" additions to introduce characters. and yeah, the stupid flags on the roadside IED, and the over the top special effect with the guy taking a grenade to the torso and his legs keep walking a couple steps. just more hollywood things to add drama for the pilot episode.

but give the show another chance and i bet you will start to like it.

and +1000 on a new series of band of brothers. i work in production for HBO and if I ever get a chance to talk to anyone that has anything to do with band of brothers, i will tell them (and beg them) to make another season.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#17]
To hell with the Oly logo, anyone catch the boob shot?

Seriously though, I look at it as entertainment only..

One thing did make me wonder with the last episode.. Why spend all that time trying to take out the spoter, and not just take out the mortar positions.. And for the spoter, why the hell did'nt the mortar team, fix in on the road, a known distance, and all they had to do was get timing correct..
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#18]
The middle of a war is not the time for hollywood to capitalize on the blood of the fallen to push their agenda...

Not to mention, realism is sorely lacking in the show...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The middle of a war is not the time for hollywood to capitalize on the blood of the fallen to push their agenda...
Agreed. Real soldiers are still dieing in Iraq. Airing a fictional drama about that fact does nothing but minimize their sacrifice. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

They say g*****n WAY too much in that though...I doubt they really say that so much.

Since they can't say fuck on TV, it is an somewhat acceptable alternative. The word fuck gets used alot in the military, frequently replacing such classic words and phrases as ouch, get down, and someone is shooting at us.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The middle of a war is not the time for hollywood to capitalize on the blood of the fallen to push their agenda.

I agree. I am in Iraq right now and my wife and family don't need to be seeing this shit. But, at least they are free to watch something else.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#22]
they can't use full-auto cause they're using olympic M4types.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I enjoy the show, but take it with "a grain of salt". The "politics" and useless BS commentary are the downside. My favorite episode so far has been when they torture that little terrorist fuck to tell them where the stinger missiles are being stashed. I'm so sick of the left wing media telling us how we should "act" in a war. As far as I'm concerned sometimes you have to get in the gutter to fight these maggots. TORTURE THEM??? ABSOLUTELY!!!! Get the information we need, but a cap in the back of their terrorist skulls and leave them for the vultures.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Was it just the 10 minutes I watched last night, or is the whole show WAY left of the real center of the military?  There seem to be alot of soldiers, nurses and other characters with alot of ambivalence about the mission-- more than I would expect would show up in the field today.  Supposedly, the mil voted about 85 percent for Bush, but watching this show you'd think it's more like 50-50.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#25]
How come only one guy in their whole unit has a ACOG on his M4???????
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#26]
It is definately not an accurate portrayal of the real thing. It's pretty liberal, but I admit I don't change the channel if it's on.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Its a TV show guys...  As such Zero value to AR's or M4's or whatever else.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top