Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 10:21:33 PM EDT
Thought I'd get more eye traffic here.

Most of us, if not all of us, have a sling or have had a sling at some time. There are numerous slings out there which mount at one, two, or three points. I have gone through the forums and noticed that for certain individuals, a certain type of sling is prefered. Whether it is for a member of the armed forces, a patrol officer, or just a regular joe schmoe, one type of sling is prefered for one reason or another.

My question is: which sling do you use and why? Where do you like to have your sling mounted? Pros? Cons? Preferred brands?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the 3 point for patrol duties, for me it offers retention, and allows me to go hands on if and when needed.  I have taped it and done a little to make things work better for me.  It isn't pretty, but it works for my uses.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 to the 3 point sling.  I used one for walking through small towns in the Balkans, and it allowed me to talk on the radio or do other tasks while still retaining one hand on my rifle and controlling the muzzle.  IMO the GI issue cotton web sling (would it be a 2 point?) is good for the rifle range but not much else.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
+1 to the 3 point sling.  I used one for walking through small towns in the Balkans, and it allowed me to talk on the radio or do other tasks while still retaining one hand on my rifle and controlling the muzzle.  IMO the GI issue cotton web sling (would it be a 2 point?) is good for the rifle range but not much else.

Same here.  Unless you are a true operator conducting close quarters combat, go with a three point sling or the IDF sling.

I spent a year in Iraq and the GI issue sling was worthless.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy from within is my moto.
Try this link out.TAG
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used damn near everything.

One points are my latest fave for popping in and out of vehicles, and basic range work.  I've found the three point just keeps getting hung up in all my gear with the body armor and especially the new shoulder armor.

Three point is definitely best for admin walking around the FOB, though.  I've just grown sick of lifting and nsnagging slings up and around gear.

Two points are OK for some use, if set up right.   The GI sling is too short for a low carry, though.

Fortunately, I spend most of my time with a pistol, and don't have to deal with the long gun too much.

Honestly, I really only posted to remark on your Shakespeare reference.  I guess school must be back in session - your post was just one of many signs that the maturity and IQ level of arfcom seems to have doubled in the past week.  It is a VERY refreshing change form how it has been.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top