Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 11:47:33 AM EDT
Hello, everyone.  I know that ADCO is a top notch business and Steve is a stand up guy.  I have ordered from them before and have nothing but praise, but I have never seen pics or feedback on there shop services and was looking for suggestions and comments from others who have been there and done it.  I have a 16" M4 profile chrome lined Bushy barrel that I have decided to have cut down to 14.5", recrowned, and a phantom perm. installed.  What are your comments on the quality of ADCOs work on this.  Specifically, how was the recrown work?  Were there any finish issues afterward?  Was the accuracy or performance of the barrel negatively affected?  Any and all suggestions & feedback welcome.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Good to go.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#2]
see pictures of ADCO work on my Colt MT6400C here.
Nothing but praise from me.

ETA: Argh, can't get the link to work. Pics are in a thread titled "The Colt MT6400C"
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The highest compliment that I can pay to the boys at ADCO is that I can't tell the difference between their work and factory work-except that ADCO's work is frequently 'prettier' with better attention to detail.

I worked for Colt for three years as a parts inspector, and as such I am a fussy, picky, anal retentive son of a bitch.

Steve and the boys can work on anything in my collection any day of the week. As far as being fussy goes, I've met my match
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
they are good to GO !!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had this exact mod done by ADCO and haven't had any problems.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on Adco's good work
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#7]
My brother had ADCO cut down one of his carbines to 14.5" and attach a perm phantom.  The workmanship was great - looks factory, no negative impact on accuracy and an insanely fast turnaround.  Top notch in my book.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My brother had ADCO cut down one of his carbines to 14.5" and attach a perm phantom.  The workmanship was great - looks factory, no negative impact on accuracy and an insanely fast turnaround.  Top notch in my book.

One of these days I'd love to see their operation firsthand. They must have one hell of a machine shop to handle the volume they do with such fast turnaround times.

Most custom shop work is measured in months, not days.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of these days I'd love to see their operation firsthand. They must have one hell of a machine shop to handle the volume they do with such fast turnaround times.

It's more like a little sweatshop! Seriously, the operation is very small. I believe the difference is that none of us are salesmen. We are firearms enthusiasts that have been working on a "better mousetrap". It is a work in progress that is driven by our love of firearms, training, and gear, and our brethren that share that love.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
+1 on Adco's good work

+2
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#11]
have you not seen his dedicated thread to this?

go to the industry forum and look adco up, there is a thread that he started when the ban died
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You would be disappointed with the store.  It's a rat hole, literally.  There's stuff everywhere.  And you should see the rear of the shop.  There's got to be at least $500 worth of AR parts strewn all over the floor.  I tell Steve every time I go down there that I'll clean it up for him, for a small fee, of course.

Additionally, IIRC, the machining is "subbed" out to a very good and well known gunsmith.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, they are called Schusters.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yeah, they are called Schusters.

Only when we're being kind to them!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 on Adco's good work

+2

+3
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Additionally, IIRC, the machining is "subbed" out to a very good and well known gunsmith.

Our machinist is offsite due to real estate constraints, but if we raise our prices so they're the same as everyone else's, we could afford to move and put the whole operation under one roof.

Ahhh...

I'd like to see the subs setup someday then. I'd also love to get an idea of the knowledge pool of the guys who are doing the work. Some of the machining operations that we end users take for granted are pretty delicate and extremely easy to screw up. Cutting a proper target crown and properly drilling a front sight base are two that come to mind.

The guys who do this work have their shit together-they make it look a lot easier than it actually is
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#18]
They are awesome!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, I cant ask for more positive feedback than this!  That settles it, tomorrow I will contact them about sending in my upper.  Thanks for helping me spend some money everyone!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
And Mongo, if you think my shop is a mess, you would die if you saw Schuster's shop. All I can say is "Sanford and Son".  Some machines are almost 100 years old.  No CNC machines, everything is done by hand, and hes got some FUNKY contraptions and secrets that he wont tell anyone how he does some of the barrel work.  

I'd love to see Shuster's shop.  I'm really into nostalgic machinery and old school machining.  CNC has it's place, but you can't replace good old fashioned machinists ingenuity.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You would be disappointed with the store.  It's a rat hole, literally.  There's stuff everywhere.  And you should see the rear of the shop.  There's got to be at least $500 worth of AR parts strewn all over the floor.  I tell Steve every time I go down there that I'll clean it up for him, for a small fee, of course.

I dont know what look on a persons face I get more of a kick out of - the poor guy who drives hours to see the "shop", only to realize its smaller than his bedroom closet.  The other "look" is when I meet a customer somewhere. Most people expect some big old guy, not some skinny little kid who doesnt talk to anyone
Someone once referred to a visit as the most money he'd ever spent with the least amount of conversation.  The next time he came in, he simply handed me a list and didnt say anything.  I put everyting in a box, took his money and he was out the door.

And Mongo, if you think my shop is a mess, you would die if you saw Schuster's shop. All I can say is "Sanford and Son".  Some machines are almost 100 years old.  No CNC machines, everything is done by hand, and hes got some FUNKY contraptions and secrets that he wont tell anyone how he does some of the barrel work.  

We need to clone you guys and cross train them into other specialized industries.  There aren't enough small shops any more...  

I always stop by Cabelas on the way home to fill in the 'big-box store full of people' vacuum
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Another BIG +1 for ADCO.
Their quality, service, and turnaround time are second to none.
It's a real pleasure to do business with people like that!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I had ADCO put a Phantom on one of my ARs after the ban.  Did great work and customer service was outstanding!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had ADCO do ALL my barrel work, top notch all the way.

Their "shop" is not fancy but it's Graceland for those of us with BRD!

Hell last time I went down there to pick up a barrel I saw a Saginaw Carbine on the wall...should have seen the old ladies face when I walked out with two packages.  

Just confirm what Steve said...he is NOT a talker, friendly, professional, and knowledgable yes -conversationalist NO!

A big thanks to all the guys (and gal) at ADCO!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Well, I cant ask for more positive feedback than this!  That settles it, tomorrow I will contact them about sending in my upper.  Thanks for helping me spend some money everyone!

You won't be disappointed .
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#28]
anyone have pictures of this?  a 16" M4 barrel cut down to 14.5"?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#30]
They have threaded four of my barrels.  They do great work and get it done quick.  The barrels shoot and look great.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I had them do this exact work to my barrel.  As soon as I get the funds they'll be getting a second barrel to cut-n-thread for me.

I caught dissergy fever from Mongo.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#32]
thanks for the pics!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I had Steve turned down my 14.5 BM HBAR barrel to Govt. profile under the handguards and M4 step up cut. He then re-parked it and I swore the barrel came from the factory that way because the cold parked matched the entire barrel where he had turned it down..+1 in my book..Steve/ADCO rocks. By that way that barrel shoots great!!!

Re-edited for mis quote
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I think I'm going to send my barrel to ADCO for a cut and permanent flash hider.  How does this work?  Obviously I order the service and FH from the site.  What info needs to be packed with the upper i.e. a printout of my invoice or written instructions of what I want?  Please pardon my ignorance in this matter.  I just don't want there to be any problems or confusion due to me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Steve did a fantasic job cutting and reprofiling my RRA 20 to 18" A2, and it runs flawlessly.

I just ordered,and included an email with my instructions. Steve had a questionand a short email answered it.

I will not hesitate to send them anything I want done in the future
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Steve build my midlength upper with the obnoxious LE comp that I felt I just had to have. I sent it back to him after the evil ban expired. He removed the comp threaded the barrel and installed a Vortex. Coulnt ask for better work.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Well I took the plunge too.  Sent my barrel in for a chop and flash hider.  Hopefully mine will turn out as good as the rest of your's.  Anybody know the turn around time, for this kind of service, at ADCO lately?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:29:37 AM EDT
[#38]
I had them cut & install a perm Vortex on mine, workmanship is great however I think they didn't index the Vortex right because the Vortex flute is open on top of the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:43:29 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I had them cut & install a perm Vortex on mine, workmanship is great however I think they didn't index the Vortex right because the Vortex flute is open on top of the barrel.

Vortex FH aren't indexed.  The open flute on the top means nothing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#40]
I talked to Steve when I was thinking about cutting my 20" barrel down to 16" and threading it.  He said that given the cost and the fact he could not guarantee operation even with gas port enlargement, he would just recommend buying a new barrel.

I was pleasantly suprised at his honesty and candor and it is nice to know there are still people out there that are that way even if it means they might not get your business.

Because of my experience, ADCO is the first place I will look to for any item or service I might need.

OTOH buying a new barrel meant I built another rifle, so maybe he really had ulterior motives.  

Seydou
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top