Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/4/2005 5:25:27 AM EDT
I have one that i picked up second hand LNIB, however someone had hosed up the change over of the fixed position M4 stock to a working M4 6 position they had jammed a detent in for the take down pin and left the spring out and also jammed a accuwedge in to hold it all together, needless to say i fixed all of that in 10 minutes.

Here's my question to other Colt MT6400C owners out there, do I leave the big pinned factory muzzle break on or send it out for a no ban operation, I have yet to shoot it and would like to hear how fellow gunners have handled this situation,

Anyone have range reports using the 6400C w/ factory muzzle break?
If i do send it off, my guess is that Adco is the choice for a no ban makeover,
Should I also change the FSB, so it has the evil lug?
Anyone have range reports after an Adco "no ban" operation.
One other question; is the 6400C barrel threaded under the break?
BTW, I'm off work this week and will shoot it, I just havn't had the opportunity to let this pony run.

Thanks Much for any info.

Link Posted: 7/4/2005 5:35:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The brake on my 6400c dosent bother me, but the guy next to me on the line might have a different opinion. If I lived in a free state I would send to ADCO & have the barrel threaded for A2 FH. Keep it a 16" & look @ Vltor or LMT for a stock. Just my opinions. -Justin
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have one, that i picked up second hand LNIB, however someone had hosed up the change over of the fixed position M4 stock to a working M4 6 position they had jammed a detent in for the take down pin and left the spring out and also jammed a accuwedge in to hold it all together, needless to say i fixed all of that in 10 minutes.

Here's my question to other Colt MT6400C owners out there, do I leave the big pinned factory muzzle break on or send it out for a no ban operation, I have yet to shoot it and would like to hear how fellow gunners have handled this situation,

Anyone have range reports using the 6400C w/ factory muzzle break? I found it to be decent, nothing to write home about but get rid of it ASAP
If i do send it off, my guess is that Adco is the choice for a no ban makeover, Yes, ADCO is your best opinion
Should I also change the FSB, so it has the evil lug? Yes, have ADCO install a F stamped FSB
Anyone have range reports after an Adco "no ban" operation. ADCO does some of the finest work, you will not be disappointed
One other question is the 6400C barrel threaded under the break? No. ADCO will thread the the barrel and install a A2 FH for you
BTW, I'm off work this week and will shoot it, I just havn't had the opportunity to let this pony run.

Link Posted: 7/4/2005 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I took the Muzzle Brake off of mine it was to big compaired to the A2 flash hinder, and looked better, left the Lug off, can't see me needing it unless you just want it for looks. The barrel is not treaded under the muzzel brake, the break is just held on by two pins, you can use a center punch and hammer to take it off. I heard good things about ADCO, if fact I was going to send mine off for the change over but found someone locally that did it for me . The weapon shoots great would'nt change for anything.

Take Care
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Adco - stat.  

No need to swab FSB if sticking with the 16" barrel, but if you had them cut to 14.5" and perm a FH, might want to consider it...  
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Some guy was shooting one next to me at the range the other day & The air blast & Noise caused by that brake was annoying to say the least. Plus last year I saw 1 launch off the barrel down range (I think it is only pinned in place.
I would ditch the brake, thread the barrel & put a A2 FH on.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 6:12:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would send to ADCO & have the barrel threaded for A2 FH.

+1 one on this - ADCO does a great job quickly at a great price. MBs are fairly useless on 5.56mm rifles, the Ops Inc brake notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Shoot it like it is and determine what indeciencies you plan for it are really important.
If the sights are'on', do not disturbe the fsb in need of a lug you will never use.
If you have the muzzle threaded, and find you liked the brake after all, [I do], You can still thread on a brake. The Armalite brake looks like what you have now. [kind of].
These are really good carbines. Quality. Think twice abut your modifications.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The muzzle beast is garbage, it was put there by politicians.  

The fixed stock is garbage, and was put there by politicians.

Replacement of both is common sense, quality has nothing to do with it.

Link Posted: 7/4/2005 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The muzzle beast is garbage, it was put there by politicians.  

The fixed stock is garbage, and was put there by politicians.

Exactly, it's the principle of it.  If you can take off the politically correct garbage then do it!
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 4:44:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I went through all these questions when I decided to change my NIB MT6400C earlier this year. I picked up th "F" FSB from Bravo Company and had ADCO intall it along with their A2 hider and re-park the rifle for me. It turned out great! Here is a pic of mine for you:
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:20:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I put a genuine Colt collapsible stock on, but kept my muzzle break the way it was.

...kinda like it.

Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:34:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not trying to hijack this thread. I just have a couple questions for you guys that have the MT6400C's. First, what BCG does it have? Second, Does it have the T-marks on the flat top?
And finally, what do the markings on the reciever say? Thanks.

ETA, one more, does it have the F-marked FSB?
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:38:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I do not own a MT6400 but I'm going to give you my $.02 anyway

Quoted:
do I leave the big pinned factory muzzle break on or send it out for a no ban operation"?"

Send it out for a real flash hider and replace the stock with a real collapsible model. The CMT stocks that Eagle Firearms sells is your best deal for the stock or step-up to a Vltor

Yes

No. Not worth the money and serves no practical purpose.

Replacing the MB with a threaded FH will not change the accuracy of your weapon

No
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#14]
There is a small step down of the barrel contour under the break which is about 1/2" long.  That portion would be turned down for the cutting of threads to install a FH.  Dont let anyone try to shorten the barrel length!  It is a chrome lined barrel and has a nice crown which would involve cutting into the chrome lining.  With an Acog 4x32 I had bullet holes touching each other at 200m (bipod with butt on sandbag).  Thats using BH 75gr reman.  Mine stays the way it is.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#15]
SOrry wrong Thread!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Forget the lug.  Steve, from ADCO, wasn't doing them anymore, anyway, last I heard.  He was butt raping people to change the FSB, $87 dollars!!!!  He tried to price himself out of that market and people still paid it.

I find it rather amazing that people can argue over 1.5" of barrel and how much extra weight it add to the rifle, but the same people insisting on a bayonet lug.  If there ever was dead weight, the first thing I would whack off would be that.  But.........................YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I put a genuine Colt collapsible stock on, but kept my muzzle break the way it was.

...kinda like it.

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/mfingar/P6200493.jpg

very nice
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Where did you find a NIB 6400!?! Were there more?
I wanted a rifle as close as possible to my service rifle so this is what I ended up with. The pinned stock was replaced with  a Colt 4 position and barrel cut by ADCO and A2
permanently attached giving an OAL of  just over 16.25" (measured by putting cleaning rod down bore, bolt closed and marking rod at top of FH,
this is how I was told the BATFE would do it.)
I haven't actually sighted it on on a bench or thoroughly evaluated it;s accuracy but I've been able to roughly dial it in enough to make a plastic bottle dance at over 100yds.
Good enough for me to say ADCO won't harm anything.
Aside from the missing bayo lug, burst setting and an extra .75in on the barrel this is as close as anyone can get to a Military M4.  
Close up pics of ADCO work, notice how the barrel marking are split down the middle.
Hope the pics aren't too big...

Link Posted: 7/5/2005 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have one that i picked up second hand LNIB, however someone had hosed up the change over of the fixed position M4 stock to a working M4 6 position they had jammed a detent in for the take down pin and left the spring out and also jammed a accuwedge in to hold it all together, needless to say i fixed all of that in 10 minutes.

tozmo.smugmug.com/photos/27031472-M-4.jpg

Keep it on, it's not bad at all. I was going to swap mine out but decided not to because it controls the muzzle on mine like no other brake that I have shot from. I can shoot fast and consistant. It's staying mounted. My MT6400C came with the stock perma pined. Yours is not. I'm jealous...
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm not trying to hijack this thread. I just have a couple questions for you guys that have the MT6400C's. First, what BCG does it have? Second, Does it have the T-marks on the flat top?
And finally, what do the markings on the reciever say? Thanks.

Not the Auto BCG. Yes, white T-marks. Markings read "Match Target M4 Carbine"
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The 6400c has a car recoil system with a H buffer. Unlike many other 'fixed' type stocks.
Some states forbid changing the stock.  Peacekeeper has converted his. Congrats.
Glad to hear other Owners offering Peacekeeper Quality answers to his Questions.
Quality has much to do with it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I went through all these questions when I decided to change my NIB MT6400C earlier this year. I picked up th "F" FSB from Bravo Company and had ADCO intall it along with their A2 hider and re-park the rifle for me. It turned out great! Here is a pic of mine for you:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/clubster/39e4eb3a.jpg

VERY NICE!!

Thanks for the report and Pic, that is one nice rifle.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Where did you find a NIB 6400!?! Were there more?
I wanted a rifle as close as possible to my service rifle so this is what I ended up with. The pinned stock was replaced with  a Colt 4 position and barrel cut by ADCO and A2
permanently attached giving an OAL of  just over 16.25" (measured by puting cleaning rod down bore, bolt closed and marking rod at top of FH,
this is how I was told the BATFE would do it.)
I haven't actually sighted it on on a bench or thouroughly evaluated it;s acuracy but I've been able to roughly dial it in enough to make a plastic bottle dance at over 100yds.
Good enough for me to say ADCO won;t harm anything.
Aside from the missing bayo lug, burt setting and an extra .75in on the barrel this is as close as anyone can get to a Military M4.  
Close up pics of ADCO work, notice how the barrel marking are split down the middle.
Hope the pics aren't too big...
i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/Detslider/IMG_3159.jpg
i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/Detslider/IMG_3158.jpg
i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/Detslider/post-banColt6400c.jpg

It was LNIB, it had been fired, I bought it from a local gun shop who had taken it in on trade, he has 2ea Colt Model 6920's in stock for $1395, however no more 6400C's.

Very nice rifle, I own a few Colt's myself. Thanks Much.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm not trying to hijack this thread. I just have a couple questions for you guys that have the MT6400C's. First, what BCG does it have?
What is BCG?

Second, Does it have the T-marks on the flat top?
YES

And finally, what do the markings on the reciever say?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok so whe knows where to get one? New or used I don't care. I'd expected people trying o unload these all over after the ban expred but I was wrong. I feel lucky to have snatched up the one I did see on the EE.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 3:59:43 AM EDT
[#26]
I have done the same thing to my 6400C.  I retrofitted the stock with a folding one but left the muzzle configuration stock.  Have gone back and forth about it but am leaning to just leave it alone.  

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Ok so whe knows where to get one? New or used I don't care. I'd expected people trying o unload these all over after the ban expred but I was wrong. I feel lucky to have snatched up the one I did see on the EE.

Good question? I haven't done an exhaustive search but I haven't seen anybody with these in stock. They do not even pop up on the EE that often (I too thought\hoped they would for cheap after the sunset)
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I have done the same thing to my 6400C.  I retrofitted the stock with a folding one but left the muzzle configuration stock.  Have gone back and forth about it but am leaning to just leave it alone.  

A folding stock! Pics please
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#29]
It would appear I used the incorrect nomenclature.  I meant to say collapsible.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#30]
You probably wouldn't have trouble selling the barrels and stocks off these things and just buying new no-ban versions. There's still a market for post-ban parts, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Blah, who cares about anything other than the lower. Who cares about 6920's. Who cares about SBR or SPR. I just want a 6400c lower. New, used, striped or tricked.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

tozmo.smugmug.com/photos/27031472-M-8.jpg

Save the money you'd pay adco and find a SOCOM barrel to put on there. More expensive yes, but more authentic as well, if that is important to you
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:06:36 AM EDT
[#33]
The socom barrel isn't really "more authentic" for most troops. Besides the SOCOM barrel is 14.5" so to be legal a phantom FH wouldbe required and this deffinetly NOT authentic. If I had a bayo lug on mine at first glance you'd think it was a Military issue M4. I say send it to ADCO
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:20:43 AM EDT
[#34]
The ban is dead. Get a Flash Hider. When I gave my 6400C a remodel, I installed a 4 position telestock and an A2 FH. But I didn`t bother with the bayo lug, cause of the 16 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 5:16:07 AM EDT
[#35]
I bought my 6400c new in 2003.  After the ban died I put a VLTOR stock on, drove the pins out and pulled off the muzzle brake, bought a phantom 5c2 FH, and said screw the bayonet lugged FSB.

You should try it with the factory "Miculek" style brake thats on there now.  It is VERY efficient and very loud especially to others shooting to the side of you.  The AR15 has little recoil and with this brake it has none.  I figure might as well buy the FH (even though I didn't install it yet been almost a year), that way if another "ban" is introduced (knock on wood) at least I have the part/parts already in my hands.  On a side note the factory brake being sort of permanently attached allows carbon/powder residue to build up on the crown due to not being able to access that part of the barrel for cleaning.  I noticed this when I pulled off the brake after about a year or so of shooting and thought "What? No barrel crown?"  Took a brush and started brushing away...... it has a recessed crown. LOL
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The 6400c has a car recoil system with a H buffer. Unlike many other 'fixed' type stocks.
Some states forbid changing the stock.  Peacekeeper has converted his. Congrats.
Glad to hear other Owners offering Peacekeeper Quality answers to his Questions.
Quality has much to do with it.

Alan, I missed your post before, so please excuse the late reply, but what does having an non-adjustable stock with a CAR buffer & spring have to do with making it quality?  For that matter, wouldn't replacing it with an adjustable stock that actually functions make more sense?  I am missing your logic on this one.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Most, not all can have , even now, certain features. The car with a car recoil system, especially with a H buffer is a desirable feature. Many threads on this for several reasons.  
Some non-Colt fixed telestocks do not use the car system.
Colt produces a model 6400c, which is in 'ban' configuration. It also is an M-4. Chrome bore, feedramps, 'F' fsb, H buffer, and reciever marked M-4. It does not have the lug, it does not have the threaded muzzle, it does not have an adjustable stock. Quality none the less.
I have one and like many, converted the stock after the ban. I am lucky not to be restricted here in Fl. I have also sold two of the fixed telestocks. Sold them to brothers in states restricting this stuff still. Now they have car recoil systems with H buffers.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Just to straighten out a little detail...Colt 6400C's were made both with and without "T" markings on the top rail. I have one without markings and a few others on the board here do also (Forest, IIRC). Mine was brand new in the unopened box from Colt, so I am certain it came off the line unmarked. By far, most of the 6400C's I have seen personally have the "T" index markings and I don't know why they were produced both ways. Maybe someone can shed some light on the subject.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:03:31 AM EDT
[#39]
It wouldn't be Colt if they didn't produce a couple different versions of the same rifle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
It wouldn't be Colt if they didn't produce a couple different versions of the same rifle.

+1...

I wasn't aware that the factory muzzle break could fly off...I had that problem with one of the set screw Olympic POSs several years back. That alone would make me want to get that off of there. With the bayonet lug, take it or leave it. Since I'm such a cheapskate I'd probably leave it...
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1...

I wasn't aware that the factory muzzle break could fly off...I had that problem with one of the set screw Olympic POSs several years back. That alone would make me want to get that off of there. With the bayonet lug, take it or leave it. Since I'm such a cheapskate I'd probably leave it...

A few early 6400Cs had comps fly off because they were secured with hollow roll pins. Colt made a running production change to sturdier, solid pins to fix the problem. Anyone with an early 6400C can have their hollow pins replaced by Colt (for free) if they're concerned about it.

Like others here I've gone back and forth about replacing the eggbeater comp on both of mine with proper flash hiders. At this point I'm just going to leave them in place-they do a very good job at eliminating felt recoil. The 6400C feels like a glorified 22lr-so it's a favorite of mine for introducing new shooters to the joys of the evil black rifle
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 12:53:27 AM EDT
[#42]

Like others here I've gone back and forth about replacing the eggbeater comp on both of mine with proper flash hiders. At this point I'm just going to leave them in place-they do a very good job at eliminating felt recoil. The 6400C feels like a glorified 22lr-so it's a favorite of mine for introducing new shooters to the joys of the evil black rifle

What does that hunk of steel weigh? I'll bet hanging that weight off the end of the barrel has alot to do with its recoil reducing qualities!
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 1:29:16 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

What does that hunk of steel weigh? I'll bet hanging that weight off the end of the barrel has alot to do with its recoil reducing qualities!

LOL Possibly so.  

Still the 3 baffle style brakes are actually very efficient as far as recoil is concerned.  One things for certain, with the brake it is VERY loud for a .223.  I have the same style brake on my TRG42 (factory sako brake) and it's like night and day shooting with it on and off.  I mean thats an apples to oranges comparison, .223 Rem compared to .338 LM, but still this particular style brake is efficient.  I'd say it cuts a good 60% of the recoil down (but it adds 60% more sound/blast! LOL).  Even if it were made of a light metal like titanium or something,  I think it would still work well.  I took it off anyway for a phantom that I didn't even get to installing yet.  I feel 223 doesn't need a brake, unless you shoot 3-gun or action matches where you want the gun to move as little as possible. JMO.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:18:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Get the flash suppressor.  Get a collapsible stock.  Make it the rifle it's destined to be.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top