Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 2:53:50 PM EDT
I recently purchased a used Bushmaster A2, 20" barrel from a friend.  Had fewer than 500 rounds put through it.  He threw in a case of M193 ammo, pretty old (1981), and a couple 30 round mags.  I'd like to get a few more 30 round mags, and it seems to me the Mil spec mags are the best quality.  Can someone recommend a place to get them?  In addition, are there any good bang for the buck mods to do to this firearm?  I'm not looking to pump a lot of money into the rifle, maybe just make a couple cost effective and wise mods if they exist for such a weapon.  I am interested in the bandoleer and stripper clip storage method.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
check in the equipment exchange

there are a lot of vendors along with individuals selling all sorts of stuff there.

for mag questions there is the mag forum located a few steps below the discussions forum

welcom to the boards
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Here are some pretty good places to get some USGI mags.

BravoCompanyUSA
www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magazines.html

Eagle Firearms
www.eaglefirearms.net/ar15_magazines.htm
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh and welcome to the boards!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#4]
After posting I found the Equipment Exchange forum.  Found some good deals on the mags, now gotta find a deal on the bandoleer and stripper clips.  I have a few boxes of M855 ammo on stripper clips and it seemed like a great way to hold the ammo.  After reading a few threads I can see how easy it could be to fall down the slippery slope of add-ons and modifications.  I don't want to go that route, so I am trying to do some research first.

I've seen a couple threads about the hydraulic recoil suppressors by Endime and another company.  Dunno if that's a worthwhile mod on a weapon like this considering my intented use of target and home defense.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out Wu's Surplus for good deals on stripper clips and bandoleers, etc.

www.angelfire.com/on2/PandaWeb/wupage.html
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here are some pretty good places to get some USGI mags.

BravoCompanyUSA
www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magazines.html

Eagle Firearms
www.eaglefirearms.net/ar15_magazines.htm

I'll second that.

Both these vendors are great and very reliable.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've seen a couple threads about the hydraulic recoil suppressors by Endime and another company.  Dunno if that's a worthwhile mod on a weapon like this considering my intented use of target and home defense.

No. you may compromise reliability if it is for defensive use. If you want to upgrade your buffer go with an H-buffer.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
After reading a few threads I can see how easy it could be to fall down the slippery slope of add-ons and modifications.  I don't want to go that route, so I am trying to do some research first.

Very easy to start sliding down that slope.  One of the greatest things about the AR platform is the amount of accessories for it.  But before you start buying a lot of stuff, what I'd recommend is taking it out and shooting it.  Figure out what you like, and what you want to improve.  Best things you can buy right now are more mags and ammo (you can never really have too many of either, in spite of what my wife says).  Once you're more familiar with the rifle, get some training.  Tactical rifle classes will really highlight the areas where you want to enhance the performance of the weapon, and you along with it.  Different people have different needs and desires.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:05:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the tips guys.

What is an H-buffer and where can it be purchased?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:12:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Before you go modding out your rifle , a little light reading perhaps?  

ar15.com/content/manuals/FM23-9.pdf
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:58:10 AM EDT
[#11]
305 pages! I better print this at work.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:19:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

A heavy buffer or H-buffer is what ships with all Colt Law Enforcement Carbines and Military M4 carbines. It is simply a buffer that is heavier - this can enhance reliability and smooth operation.
It has an H stamped on it.

But I agree with firing a few hundred rounds of quality ammo like XM193 or WWB with the rifle exactly the way it is for several reasons.

1. To ensure everything works in original configuration to have a baseline and that no warranty work is needed.

2. To become familiar with the basic operation of the rifle.

3. to zero the rifle in basic configuration.

4. You paid a fair chunk of change for this firearm, so "don't fix it if it ain't broke" at least not until you know exactly why you want to change something. Don't upgrade for the sake of the upgrade. Your buffer should work just fine out of the box.

Make sure you field strip, clean away any cosmoline and heavy grease and lubricate very well with CLP before firing it the first time, they can be tight when new.

Also decide whether you want to zero at 25m or 50m, read iron sight zero procedures, and print out a copy to bring to the range with you, that way you will know how to adjust your sights. You don't need any tools, an FMJ 5.56mm cartridge will do for the front sight.

_DR
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I did some research on the Hbuffer and found what I wanted to know.  I fully intend to explore it at the range before messing around.  I already field stripped it and it appeared to be spotless clean already, just a little dry.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats on the BUSHMASTER!

check the EE for the best prices in USGI mags; +1 for both EF and BC for USGI mags

dont pay more than $14 for new USGI mags

the only mods i'd do to it is to have a good sling
some low cost, but more likely not neccessary mods are too add an accuwedge and an o-ring extractor ring

i use ammo cans to store mags and ammo

enjoy!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top