Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2005 10:06:38 AM EDT
I have been reading this forum for quite a while but haven't really had a need to post much as I have two ARs that I have setup really close to my original plan.

My plan was to have one M4gery and one A4gery. The M4gery is a 14.5 Bushmaster with a RAS II and an Eotech 552. The A4gery is a 20 heavy barrel Bushmaster with KA M-5 RAS with a Trijicon ACOG.

By and large I am very happy with this setup but I do have some concerns and was hoping to get some input. As far as the M4gery, I prefer Eotechs to Aimpoints but as you all well know there is no room for a BUIS. On one had this concerns me but on the other hand I have set this one up for CQC and a BUIS doesn't seem necessary as I can use the Eotech without power within 25yrds. I tried to put the Eotech upfront but don’t like it as it makes my M4gery front heavy.

-How important is a BUIS in this context? Would a Troy BUIS work mounted on the "hump".

As far as the A4gery, the ACOG is the TA01NSN. Its designed for a 14.5" barrel shooting green tip ammo. I obviously have a 20" barrel and I use Q3131A (at least while my stash runs out).

-Should I be worried about the reticle? In my mind the AR is set up for 50-250 yrds.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#1]
you will have to put your 552 in front of the hump. BUIS are only 100 dollars and good insurance. Get them. The RAS II was only developed for the Aimpoint. There aer better options out there if you can stand selling the RAS II, or selling your eotech and getting an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
You could also mount a BUIS up front, but the sight radius would be extremely short.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
you will have to put your 552 in front of the hump. BUIS are only 100 dollars and good insurance. Get them. The RAS II was only developed for the Aimpoint. There aer better options out there if you can stand selling the RAS II, or selling your eotech and getting an Aimpoint.

Thanks, I have been thinking very hard about replacing my EoTech with an Aimpoint in light of my current configuration. That said, if I can get a BUIS to work on the "hump" of my RAS II I think I can call my M4gery done. Do you happen to know if the Troy BUIS would work on the hump?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You could also mount a BUIS up front, but the sight radius would be extremely short.

I was think about that, and its still an option, but as you pointed out you get the sight raduis of a pistol, but its better than nothing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]
If you aren't LE or military, I wouldn't worry too much about a BUIS. If the EOTech goes down you can use the window as a sighting device up close, as you point out. If you definately want a traditional BUIS, and you prefer the EOTech over the Aimpoint, then I would sell or trade the RAS II for a different rail system. I have the RAS II but prefer the Aimpoint, after trying both, so it worked out for me.

When I had the EOTech I was quite happy with the standard RAS, and I also have a Troy with an ACOG that I like quite a bit.

What you really need to do is settle on the sight, then have the rail system that is the most compatible.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]
You're trying to hammer a nail using a screwdriver.  I can't even contribute to this thread without going crosseyed.

If you price your RASII upper correctly you'l wheel n deal your way into something you can actually use at a minimal expense to you.  A 1X red dot optic is designed to supplement your irons, not replace them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Would you say the same of a traditional scope? why a red dot if not in a situation where your life depends on your rifle/carbine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top