Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 3:18:52 PM EDT
I'm getting really close to buying my first AR.  I'm still in my "research" phase, trying to find out as much info as possible before I start spending money.  

I've decided that I am going to purchase a bare bones AR and build on it instead of building one from scratch.

Stag, Olypmic Arms, and Double Star all make some base AR's for around $600-$700.  As far as features go...they are all about the same.  

So all I have to judge by is fit, finish & function.  How does everything fit, and how does everything look., and how reliable and accurate will the gun be?  Are the barrels/recievers/internals better from one company vs. the others?

So what do you think.....if I can get a base model AR for the exact same price, who should I go with with?

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't compare to the other two, but I have an Olympic with a seperate Olympic upper.  I have been extremely pleased with both.  Fit, finish, and function have all been great.  Both uppers are perfect matches for the lower.  Both are very accurate and relibale.  I would not hesitate to buy from Olympic again, and their lifetime warranty is another selling point.  

ETA - make sure if you do choose Olympic to go with a forged upper rather than cast.  If you are looking for their "entry level" rifle - the "Plinker", go with the "Plinker Plus" - it's the one with the forged upper.  The older Plinker had a cast lower.

-K
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say Stag. I have seen a few and they look great.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
my stag builds look better than my bushmasters
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
CMT/Stag. They make most of the parts for some of the most trusted brands.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen the Double Star and they look really good.I don't have one myself but i do have a home grown built on a Double Star receiver,the specs are great.My personal choice would be either a Double Star or Stag with a chrome lined bbl.I also have a home build that I built on an Oly reciever,the Oly has the toughest finish I've seen but the mag well is a little bit tight with some mags.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]
CMT/Stag
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
CMT/Stag

A big +1

I just got two stripped Stag lowers today at  my FFL. They are flawless.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a stag lower with a stag parts kit in it. Seems great.

I'll be able to say more when my freakin' M4 upper gets here (it's currently in Ohio according to USPS tracking)
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm getting really close to buying my first AR.  I'm still in my "research" phase, trying to find out as much info as possible before I start spending money.  

I've decided that I am going to purchase a bare bones AR and build on it instead of building one from scratch.

Stag, Olypmic Arms, and Double Star all make some base AR's for around $600-$700.  As far as features go...they are all about the same.  

So all I have to judge by is fit, finish & function.  How does everything fit, and how does everything look., and how reliable and accurate will the gun be?  Are the barrels/recievers/internals better from one company vs. the others?

So what do you think.....if I can get a base model AR for the exact same price, who should I go with with?

Thanks for the help

STAG  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Stag Rivals Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite and RRA.
You can't go wrong for the price, best kept secret.

CMT/STAG.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Go Stag, you won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Sabre Defense, RRA
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Between the brands you listed

Olympic. It's my most abused gun, dropped on rocks and into sand, and hardly a blemish. Also my most accurate AR as well
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Definitely STAG.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#15]
You should really take a long, long look at Mega receivers, uppers and lowers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#16]
in my case, stag.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I just recived a double star lower with carb. stock. Very nice better finsh than my bushmasters. And the price was quite resonable too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 Stag, Best fit and finish I have ever seen, and I have seen and handled most.
GO STAG............
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#19]
out of the ones you listed

i would go either stag or doublestar.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I had the chance to tour Double Star facility today, part of a law enforcement open house they had.  Seeing the guns and parts first hand.... WOW. Nice stuff.  They even let us try out some of the toys.  Quality looks great, nice finish.  Can't wait for the 1911's that they are about to produce.

My vote Double Star.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Stag
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CMT/Stag

A big +1

I just got two stripped Stag lowers today at  my FFL. They are flawless.  

A big +2

My Rock River lowers were made by CMT-excellent fit and finish for the money.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top