Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 4:19:43 AM EDT
SOCOM Flat Dark Earth, I believe that's what the color is called.  

Basically, I want paint that will match the newest color Vltor and Tango Down are now using.

If anyone know where to get some please let me know.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:25:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you know the numbers for the SOCOM color?

This is from www.molyresin.com/molyresin_about.asp (scroll down).

TAN Flat, BROWN Flat, and OFF-WHITE Flat
Basic Camo colors (Tan is new U.S. Military mid-east desert tan 30118 color fed standard 595B)

I Googled "FLAT, DARK EARTH" and it looks like it is a KG Industries GunKote color 2404F (LINK).  There is also some more information HERE

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:43:20 AM EDT
[#2]
30118 is the federal color code for Flat Dark Earth (aka Field Drab).  You should be able to find several sources on the internet by doing a search off of that number.  I used Testors Enamel Paint through my airbrush with great success.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:44:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do you know the numbers for the SOCOM color?

This is from www.molyresin.com/molyresin_about.asp (scroll down).

TAN Flat, BROWN Flat, and OFF-WHITE Flat
Basic Camo colors (Tan is new U.S. Military mid-east desert tan 30118 color fed standard 595B)

Unfortunately I do not know what the color number is.  

Any Idea where I can find this info?

ETA:  Just saw the post by Stephen_101st, thanks for the info!  Hows the Testor's paint holding up to the heat?

BTW, does anyone know the color Stephen_101st is talking about is the same one shade that Vltor and Tango down is using?  I ask because I have a Vltor with the new color and the it looks a bit lighter than what pictured in Stephen's post.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:48:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure you post pics of your Midlength after it's new paint job is complete.

I just got my Sabre barrel yesterday, but my upper and BCG isn't here yet.

ETA:

Stephen:  Did you paint your Vltor in that pic, b/c if not then it looks like the color match is perfect!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:51:35 AM EDT
[#5]
55kingpin,

Just a guess but I think Stephen painted the Vltor because the ones with the new color also have the new style battery compartments with the ramped easy twist off plugs.

As far a painting my whole carbine I don't know if I'm ready for that yet.  I'll probably start with some furniture to see how I like it first...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:04:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out the link below this company has spray paint for $5 and 1 gallon cans for $30 of the 30118 color that Stephen mentioned.  On the site linked below it's called Field Drab, Lusterless.

www.surplusjeep.com/trspaint.htm
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
great info
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:44:53 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 to Yojimbo's post.....I'd like to know if that remotely close to Vltor and TD's color......

As far a painting my whole carbine I don't know if I'm ready for that yet. I'll probably start with some furniture to see how I like it first...

[italian guy] Just do it!! [/italian guy]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:59:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Great color - When I was in Germany in the early '80s (16th Engineers) they painted the blades of the M728 Combat Engineer Vehicles field drab.  I guess it was just easier to shoot them with the solid color after the paint scraped off when they used the blades in the field.  Anyway, I always thought it was a great color.  It always seemed to blend in well out in the field regardless of the location or season.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Yojimbo:

How about you try some of that spray paint and let me know how it matches up.......
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yojimbo:

How about you try some of that spray paint and let me know how it matches up.......

I just might do that.  I'll let you know if I order any, right now I'm still looking around.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Tag for future reference.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#13]
tag.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
30118 is the federal color code for Flat Dark Earth (aka Field Drab).  You should be able to find several sources on the internet by doing a search off of that number.  I used Testors Enamel Paint through my airbrush with great success.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/stephen_101st/Gear/68mm.jpg

stephen, what scope are you using?, I'd be interested in finding one.

-mark
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Yojimbo, In Grants Noveske SPR thread he said he used KG SOCOM Flat Earth.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Tag.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:35:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

stephen, what scope are you using?, I'd be interested in finding one.

-mark

It is a Leupold VXII 1X4 with a duplex reticle.  It has a JPoint 8MOA on the JP piggyback mount for closer shots.

Stephen
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Brownell Moly Coat in Dark Earth Brown closely match my new flat earth VFG from Tangodown.

Norrell's Moly Resin FAQ says "Tan is new U.S. Military mid-east desert tan 30118 color fed standard 595B)"  You can also blend Moly Resin colors for an exact color match.

I've got to quit hanging out here . . . Now I'm thinking about refinishing the ultalight carbine build I just completed in Tan (30118) Moly Resin and I haven't even shot it yet!

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#20]
heres another link so you can look at the color up close

www.snipercountrypx.com/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=326
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Hi-jack: Stephen, that gun is kick ASS.  You need to post some details in another thread if you havent
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hi-jack: Stephen, that gun is kick ASS.  You need to post some details in another thread if you havent

+1 - looks almost identical to an recon build I'm working on. I sent him an e-mail asking for the details but never heard back from him. I specifically would like to read about the optic, mount and Jpoint setup?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#24]
For guys with questions about my 6.8mm Carbine here is my thread on Lightfighter.net that basically covers it all.  Thanks for the interest!  I'm proud of it.

lightfighter.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/681106417

Stephen
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:51:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow, that KG coat sure looks nice.  

What's involved in cooking it?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone have pics of the moly resin 30118 color, compared to the KG flat dark earth?  I'm also interested in how both of those look next to cav arms coyote furniture.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:18:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Anyone have pics of the moly resin 30118 color, compared to the KG flat dark earth?  I'm also interested in how both of those look next to cav arms coyote furniture.

I've got a quart coming this week.  I'll post some pics after I've finished something in it.

Stephen
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Not a bad color, if I had a couple ar's, wouldn't mind having one in that color.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:24:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
SOCOM got the color from KG (Flat Dark Earth) and made it their standard drab color. Best color match is always done by using the exact same coating.

30118 or Field Drab or Flat Dark Earth has been around since WWII in a variety of paints and coatings.  KG may have provided SOCOM with the latest and greatest finish available, but the color itself has been around a long time.  Norrells has also provided their 30118 finish to various branchs of the military for weapon and equipment coating and is an exact match to the federal standard color chip.

Stephen
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#33]
tag-o
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#34]
30118 Huh? I know what  color I'll use for a future project.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Not to toss a wrench into things, but here is some folklore on the origin of Coyote Brown:

"SysCom then sent us both back up to Fall River. We looked at the patterns that had been done on the previous trip and tweaked the color schemes a little more. 'H' had found a color swatch from the Ralph Lauren paint section of Home Depot that was great. It was called "Coyote" (recognize the name from the main Marine base in Kuwait for the Iraq war?) (editor's note: the Ralph Lauren 'Coyote' paint colour has since been discontinued, but it can be custom mixed. It was part of the 'Santa Fe' collection of colours and the RL colour code is SF11B). We had the girl in the CAD shop scan the Coyote swatch and replace the color into the patterns that I had worked on the previous trip. Coyote was to become the primary functional color in the pattern."

Excerpt from "MARPAT - A Personal Tale - From one of the designers of the Marine Pattern camouflage" HERE

That would explain why I can't find any FSN 595 color numbers for MARPAT.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Not to toss a wrench into things, but here is some folklore on the origin of Coyote Brown:

"SysCom then sent us both back up to Fall River. We looked at the patterns that had been done on the previous trip and tweaked the color schemes a little more. 'H' had found a color swatch from the Ralph Lauren paint section of Home Depot that was great. It was called "Coyote" (recognize the name from the main Marine base in Kuwait for the Iraq war?) (editor's note: the Ralph Lauren 'Coyote' paint colour has since been discontinued, but it can be custom mixed. It was part of the 'Santa Fe' collection of colours and the RL colour code is SF11B). We had the girl in the CAD shop scan the Coyote swatch and replace the color into the patterns that I had worked on the previous trip. Coyote was to become the primary functional color in the pattern."

Excerpt from "MARPAT - A Personal Tale - From one of the designers of the Marine Pattern camouflage" HERE

That would explain why I can't find any FSN 595 color numbers for MARPAT.

?  Coyote Brown and Flat Dark Earth/Field Drab 30118 are two different colors.

Stephen
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Stephen

I understand that.  I don't know about VLTOR or Tango Down, but I think a lot of vendors use "Coyote" and other color deisgnations imprecisely and indiscriminately.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#38]
tag
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stephen

I understand that.  I don't know about VLTOR or Tango Down, but I think a lot of vendors use "Coyote" and other color deisgnations imprecisely and indiscriminately.

I agree.  It has become a catch-all for any light brown color.

Stephen
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#40]

that's one sweet AR
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm having a hard time trying to fine KG Kote in flat dark earth.  Who has it and who has it at the best price? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top