Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 7:29:02 PM EDT
I got this off of Bushmaster.com

Gov't. M16's can show throat erosion after as little as 2,500 rounds. However, that is with the lighter Gov't. profile barrel and always under full auto conditions. Under semi-auto conditions, those barrels will typically go 5 to 7 thousand rounds before breaking down badly enough to warrant replacement. Many times, a Gov't. barrel with 1 or 2 thousand rounds will be replaced as inaccurate, when what it really needs is to have the copper fouling removed from the bore. This is a tedious job, but the reward is a "like-new" barrel. This refers only to chrome lined barrels like ours or Colt's. Mil spec. SS109 ammo will not measurably increase barrel wear under semi-auto fire and our mil. spec. (chrome lined) barrel will outlast any sporting rifle barrel - period. More barrels are ruined from over cleaning - or careless cleaning - than are ever "shot out". Chrome lined barrels really only need to be detail cleaned when the groups start to suffer. Otherwise, a little powder solvent (or "Break Free" with CLP), and a few passes with a brush, clean the chamber well, dry everything off and apply a very light coat of "Break Free" or "Rem-Oil" and put it away. We have had barrels here go 20,000 rounds and still be within mil. spec. when treated this way.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
BULLSHIT!!! I have 1500 rds through by Bushy bbl and it isn't worn a bit. You will get at least 10,000 rounds out of a bbl easily. Probably 20,000 if properly maintained. Hell if that was true I would need to buy a bbl every few months.

*edit* I didnt read the whole thing. I thought is way the old bullcrap about bbls lasting only a few thousand rounds. Yes that is pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Will my LE M4A3 Do this?  

What, work fine if you clean it once and a while?

Yup!

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Gov't. M16's can show throat erosion after as little as 2,500 rounds. However, that is with the lighter Gov't. profile barrel and always under full auto conditions. Under semi-auto conditions, those barrels will typically go 5 to 7 thousand rounds before breaking down badly enough to warrant replacement. Many times, a Gov't. barrel with 1 or 2 thousand rounds will be replaced as inaccurate, when what it really needs is to have the copper fouling removed from the bore. This is a tedious job, but the reward is a "like-new" barrel. This refers only to chrome lined barrels like ours or Colt's. Mil spec. SS109 ammo will not measurably increase barrel wear under semi-auto fire and our mil. spec. (chrome lined) barrel will outlast any sporting rifle barrel - period. More barrels are ruined from over cleaning - or careless cleaning - than are ever "shot out". Chrome lined barrels really only need to be detail cleaned when the groups start to suffer. Otherwise, a little powder solvent (or "Break Free" with CLP), and a few passes with a brush, clean the chamber well, dry everything off and apply a very light coat of "Break Free" or "Rem-Oil" and put it away. We have had barrels here go 20,000 rounds and still be within mil. spec. when treated this way.  

Ive got a least  25000 to 30000 rounds through a bushmaster upper 11.5   wolf federal  remington  tracers  ap  ss103   full auto  and it runs great. i'll stop using it when it stops working.. Your not going to live forever shoot the hell out of it  !!!  

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

IM NOT GETTING WHAT ANYONE IS SEEING THERE THATS CAUSING THEM ANY CONCERN
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

When I was in, I never saw them replace a barrel on anyone's M16.

I figure with the one I was issued, I fired over 50k rounds and it still grouped accurately. On top of that, when it was first issued to me, the barrel and compensator were bright silver from the previous users scrubbing the finsih off, so who knows how many rounds it had through it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
BULLSHIT!!! I have 1500 rds through by Bushy bbl and it isn't worn a bit. You will get at least 10,000 rounds out of a bbl easily. Probably 20,000 if properly maintained. Hell if that was true I would need to buy a bbl every few months.

*edit* I didnt read the whole thing. I thought is way the old bullcrap about bbls lasting only a few thousand rounds. Yes that is pretty accurate.

How do you know, do you have a throat erosion guage and know how to use it?

Having said that 7K rounds doesn't sound right unless someone is using a round file for a cleaning rod.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top