Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 2:04:44 PM EDT
I just went out and purchased my first AR.  It's the new Bushmaster Carbon 15 Flat Top Carbine that can be found here: http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/Carbon15/az-c1516m4ft.asp.

I'm not all that new to guns but AR-15's and rifles aren't my repetoire.  I'm looking for suggestions and/or advice on a few things.

1)  I am looking for a 4x reliable scope that would be able to cowitness absolutely with the BMAS flip up sight.  I was aiming for a Trijicon Acog but wasn't sure  if cowitnessing was possible.  If not, any suggestions on how to make it cowitness or any other scopes out there that would be able to?

2)  Also looking for a better handguard for the front.  Something reasonably priced and something that I'm not going to be dropping a paycheck on.

3)  Any suggestions on slings and  or other accessories that would be deemed 'much needed' or 'necessary'?  I'm looking for mostly target, varmint hunting, and home defense use so anything that would be good for all around would be appreciated.

Also, if any of you out there have visual images and the like of your suggestions, I am sure that all of us wouldn't mind them being shared.

Thanks for your time and help.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
A Trijicon should co-witness. (although I'm not sure how awkward it would be using irons with a magnification)

Which kind of hand-guard are you looking for? A railed one? A thicker one? A different shape?

I wouldn't buy a 3-point sling unless you really want one (you could build one for very cheap) A regular sling would suit you well I imagine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Weapon light.

Mag,mags,mags
& stuff to fill 'em with!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I suggest reading pages 2-11 of  this thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=226012&page=2

Also, it's good to keep your money for Mags and Ammo, and keeping the gun stock 'til you have at least 1,000 rounds through it (personal experience).
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I wholeheartedly agree with what was being said.  I won't be purchasing a scope until far in the future and until that time, I have no problem with shooting with normal sights.  I actually prefer iron sights as that is what I am used to but wouldn't mind enjoying the benefits of a scope.

Thanks for all of the info and keep them coming.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You can't co-witness a magnification optics, you want co-witness you go with a zero mag dot scope type thing.

True with a magnified scope you can no longer see the front site. Cowitnessing is for red dot sites.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Again, this is the newbie coming out in me but I should be able to have a magnified scope mounted at the same height level as the iron sights so that no adjustment would be needed for sight picture ie cheek weld placement and line of sight, correct?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats on your new AR!  +1 on the recommendations for mags and ammo.  You also might find flipping through the posts and FAQ's on the equimpent forums (Optics, Lights, Slings, etc.) to be very helpful.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Again, this is the newbie coming out in me but I should be able to have a magnified scope mounted at the same height level as the iron sights so that no adjustment would be needed for sight picture ie cheek weld placement and line of sight, correct?

In theory, YES.

But you WILL NOT be able to see your front site through the scope at 3X and up. It will be so out of focus that you will not be able to use it as an aiming device through the scope.

The irons will sit at a pre-determined height and you should not worry about lining up your magnified optic with them as it won't matter if you do or not.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]
The gun shop I purchased my AR from has a bunch of military grade 30 round mags with the green followers.  10 for $150 bucks.  Personal opinions please on whether I would need 10 30 round mags or not.  I wouldn't mind if it was a hodge podge of 5 rounders, 10 rounders, 20 rounders, and a few 30's but I think he only has all 30's.

And I appreciate you guys helping a newb out as all of the information has been extremely helpful and I am glad to  have joined this community.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe these were USGI aluminum so I think I'm set.

Thanks everyone for their info and input.  I'll keep people posted.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top