Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2005 11:56:37 AM EDT
how do i get the mini y comp off my bushmaster? i want to put a a1 bird cage on it to give it that old look.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if it will make it 16" overall, if not, better SBR it.

The Mini-Y comp has 2 pins at 6 and 12 o clock, can be dremeled out on the comp, then do any required work from there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Little heat and a drimmel should do it.  But, if your barrel is the 14.5 you will have to bring it back up to 16in length and "permanently" attach the new suppressor such as a Phantom or Vortex.  That barrel with an A1 is to short and you would be in violation of federal law.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#3]
here you go

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=234983

and a A1 will not bring it out to 16"
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
here you go

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=234983

and a A1 will not bring it out to 16"

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#5]
removing the Mini Y isnt easy, and the A1 will not make a 14.5" rifle legal

Easier Solutions:

rebarrel with a 14.7" CMMG (4150 1/7 CL) barrel and add the A1. This will give you a 99% authentic looking M4 clone

Rebarrel with 14.5" barrel and add a 5C1 phantom. The look is off, but you get a better overall Flash Hider

Take a look at the CMMG complete rifle with a 14.7" barrel. This is about as close as you're going to get  visually to a true M4.

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Where did you see the CMMG 14.7" barrel? I couldn't find it on their website.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where did you see the CMMG 14.7" barrel? I couldn't find it on their website.

You have to call them and order it. I recall it being $299

As you might guess, it is a popular item
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#8]
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa2x14m4my.asp
thats the one i have.
and yea it does have a 14.5 in barrel. so that means that the mini y comp is 1.5" long? to equal 16"?

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/yhm-29.asp
i like the looks of this one.  phantom 5 port flash suppressor.

and by the way the mini y comp has no pins in it. looks like i can get a wrench or cresent wrench to take it off?? i started to put a screw driver through the holes in it but thought again on that one..

now if i can just find a phantom ill be doin good.
i hate the concusion you feel with the mini y comp!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa2x14m4my.asp
thats the one i have.
and yea it does have a 14.5 in barrel. so that means that the mini y comp is 1.5" long? to equal 16"?

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/yhm-29.asp
i like the looks of this one.  phantom 5 port flash suppressor.

and by the way the mini y comp has no pins in it. looks like i can get a wrench or cresent wrench to take it off?? i started to put a screw driver through the holes in it but thought again on that one..

If  the barrel is from Bushmaster the mini y does have pins in it, you just can't see it since they do such a good job of it.  Don't waste your time trying to put a wrench to it.

The mini y is actually a little longer than 1.5", it's actually over 2", you have to remember part of the mini y goes over the threaded part of the barrel.  Good luck
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

look at the link I posted.  I removed my mini Y a few weeks ago and there are TWO pins.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#11]
ok thanks man i just saved that.
that reallly sucks i have to cut the mini y comp up? oh well sounds like a good idea. im goin to wait till i order or find a phantom before i even start disassemble.
thanks man!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top