BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2005 2:30:11 PM EDT
Started with this

This is where the pins are, one at 6 o'clock and one at 12 o'clock

I ground down far enough to find the pins but they wouldn't budge, so I took my dremal and used a cut off wheel to cut the comp in half.  Make sure you do this right down the middle of the pin.

Then using a cold chissel, I split the comp.  When I did this, it loosened the pins up.  

I turned the pin by using the slot cut down the middle of the pin.  Then I ground around the pin, using the cut off wheel until I had enough room to grab the pin with a needle nose pliar.

After the pin is out, cut down the middle a bit more, to connect the hole to the rest of the cut.  Then split the comp open using the chissel.  

The comp comes right off.

And here is the barrel with a phantom mocked up

Does anyone want to add this to the tacked HOW-TO's?
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice work.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag  .
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I was going to take pics when I removed one on the lathe, but I forgot.  BadSVT covered it pretty well.

Off topic, I've got a '93 Cobra Mustang sitting in my garage.  I assume, by your username, you might have something similiar.
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was going to take pics when I removed one on the lathe, but I forgot.  BadSVT covered it pretty well.

Off topic, I've got a '93 Cobra Mustang sitting in my garage.  I assume, by your username, you might have something similiar.

had a 01 Lightning
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Good job, Roger.  Can't wait to see the finished project!
Link Posted: 5/1/2005 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good job, Roger.  Can't wait to see the finished project!

Me neither, i'm just waiting for my friend's shop to open up tomorrow so I can run out there and get the phantom attached.
Link Posted: 5/1/2005 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I am adding this to my BIY post tacked at the top, with BadSVT's permission.  Good job.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to remember, that most of the Mini-Y's came on 14.5" barrels, and you MUST install a muzzle device that will get the barrel back to 16" or more (Phantom, Vortex) and that MUST be permanently installed, in a fashion acceptable and documented by the ATF.

AS SOON AS YOU TAKE THE BRAKE OFF, your barrel will make your AR a SBR, which is illegal, unless you have registered it and payed the ATF stamps, etc.  Do not assemble your barrel back on the rifle until you have installed the new device permanently, and dont wait a long time to get the new device installed..... or "plan to" "someday" get it mounted permanently.  The reward does not match the risk.  

I dont agree with the above legalities, at all... but they warrant mentioning.
Link Posted: 5/1/2005 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#9]
IMO this should be tacked in build it yourself forum.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
IMO this should be tacked in build it yourself forum.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top