Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2005 8:05:49 PM EDT
Is it to use brake clean to clean my bore? which brand is good? where do I need to avoid when I clean my bore (i don't want those chemical to eat up my gun's finish or eat up something else)
thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:03:18 AM EDT
[#1]
this would get better response in the maintenance board

i use whats available and tend to stay away from chlorinated cleaners.  brake clean is somewhat of a harsh chemical and would melt some plastics and remove paint but if your upper/lower is hard anodized i dont see a problem.

albany is good, use it at work all the time but i have been buying prestone from walmart which is like $1~ for a really big can
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:16:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner on some of my parts (FCG parts, bolt etc.).  You just have to oil the crap out of everything when your done because brake cleaner takes all of the oil out, completely!  I would'nt use it to clean the bore, but I suppose you could?  I would just stick to conventional bore cleaners for that job.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:21:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner on some of my parts (FCG parts, bolt etc.).  You just have to oil the crap out of everything when your done because brake cleaner takes all of the oil out, completely!  I would'nt use it to clean the bore, but I suppose you could?  I would just stick to conventional bore cleaners for that job.

+1

I just stop by Auto Zone or Advance Auto and pick up 3-4 cans of Non-Chlorinated brake cleaner.  I have not had any problems with the stuff.  Now it will remove ALL the oil from whatever it touches including You, so oil everything back up when you use it.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I sometimes spray brake cleaner down my barrel before I begin with the normal cleaning procedures.......just to flush out the nasty stuff first. I also like to flush out the chamber area which is sometimes a pain to get at with Q-tips. Tetra Lube makes a spray cleaner/light lube that might work as well if your truly concerned about the harshness of the brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I just went to wal-mart last night and i bought this.. hope it's ok...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top