Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 7:33:05 PM EDT
OK, I bought the slick sided upper from Sarco, they claim it is the early "M16" from early Vietnam days. I was led to beleve it would have a "prong" type hider. What I got was a slck sided upper, shiny handguards, FN chrome lined barrel and A1 hider. So now I wounder, is this an early "M16" that was "up-graded" some time in it's long life, or is it the A1 model that the Air Force ordered without forward assist? Either way I like it and it's in great shape, I just want to get my story straight about what I have.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Second page allready!
Come on, some one must know.

And BTT!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC only Colt made early M16's, including barrels.  FN didn't get involved until I think after the A2 was produced.  If thats true, your FN barrel would mean it has been upgraded, or put together from parts.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
It was an AF gun that was rebarreled during the 1980's.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#4]
What you have is more than likely an ex-USAF upper.

The USAF used the M16, the Army used the M16A1.  The big difference is the forward assist.  There is no forward assist on the M16, which is what the USAF used.  

Both the M16 and M16A1 were produced side by side for many years because the two customers wanted different things.  As time went on, the improvments that came out of the PIP (Product Improvement Program) were incorporated into the assembly line.  There were something close to 200 changes throughout the PIP.  As the USAF continued to purchase the base M16 model thourghout the years, their guns were improved with the latest features as well, they just didn't have forward assist.  As the USAF maintained the weapons they had, they would have to replace parts as well, and the only parts available would be the newer type replacements.  

So you can find any feature on the M16 or M16A1 really, the only difference is the forward assist.  Alot of people forget that the base model and the A1 were produced concurently and therefore have overlap of features.

Ross

The FN barrel is late model replacement, but they are great barrels.  If it's 1/7 twist, it's worth alot of money too.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Were they still puting pencil barrels on in the '80s?

Thanks for the replys.

Also, does anyone know WHY the Air Force specified their weapons would not have forward assist?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were they still puting pencil barrels on in the '80s?

Thanks for the replys.

Also, does anyone know WHY the Air Force specified their weapons would not have forward assist?

The USAF didn't need forward assist, as they figured it would just get things jammed worse.  There's also no way to recock the hammer, if you pull the trigger and get a click, without pulling the charging handle in the first place to clear the weapon.  So they felt there was little need for the FA.  Since they bought their's first and never had any issue with the configuration, they saw no need to buy a different variant.  

The Army added the FA, probably as much due to politically buying an "Air Force" rifle.  They had to change it to make it seem it was now better suited to ground combat.  The forward assist is of dubious need, but is handy for things like press checks, or closing the bolt after crossing a river, etc. so in the end each service got what they needed.

The USAF probably replaced the barrel due to cost more than anything.  They were able to stretch out the lifespan fairly well.  I'd check it for the rifling twist though (it should say).  FN made both 1-12 and 1-7, and a 1-7 would kick major ass.

Ross
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I think you are confusing the XM16E1 and M16A1

Sammy

Quoted:
What you have is more than likely an ex-USAF upper.

The USAF used the M16, the Army used the M16A1.  The big difference is the forward assist.  There is no forward assist on the M16, which is what the USAF used.  

Both the M16 and M16A1 were produced side by side for many years because the two customers wanted different things.  As time went on, the improvments that came out of the PIP (Product Improvement Program) were incorporated into the assembly line.  There were something close to 200 changes throughout the PIP.  As the USAF continued to purchase the base M16 model thourghout the years, their guns were improved with the latest features as well, they just didn't have forward assist.  As the USAF maintained the weapons they had, they would have to replace parts as well, and the only parts available would be the newer type replacements.  

So you can find any feature on the M16 or M16A1 really, the only difference is the forward assist.  Alot of people forget that the base model and the A1 were produced concurently and therefore have overlap of features.

Ross

The FN barrel is late model replacement, but they are great barrels.  If it's 1/7 twist, it's worth alot of money too.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top