Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2005 9:19:50 AM EDT
Forgive my ignorance, but being new the the world of AR-15's, I would like to know what the forward assist is and how it works.

Thanks

BTW,
Here is my Wilson Combat TPR-15A

http://www.acrquality.com/avatar/AR-15
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Wlcome to the boards

forward assist is used in case the carrer/bolt dont go all the way home, when pushing on the forward assist you can move the bolt and carrer in to battery. If you keep gun clean you should never need to use it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's how to see the Forward Assist in action:

Next time you're at the range, instead of chambering your first round the usual way, slap home a magazine, pull back the charging handle and ride the charging handle forward until it stops moving; this should put the cartridge just short of being fully chambered.  (Don't forget to secure your charging handle.)

Now give the F.A. a good whack and the bolt should fully seat.  Eh Voila!  You've now done what tens-of-thousands of AR-15 owners have never done: seated their bolt with the Forward Assist.

BTW,

Welcome to AR-15.COM!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Wilson Combat as your first AR15?  You did very very well.

Welcome!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#4]
You can also use the forward assist to silently chamber a round when stealth is required.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The FA question has been answered quite nicely

So  

Welcome aboard
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome!!!

What kind of scope is that????
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#7]
WELCOME!

by they way, the other use of the mag release switch too right?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Rub a little CLP on your buttstock and it will turn the proper black color instead of that ashy color.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but you also asked WHAT a forward assist is. Now that you know how it works, here it is.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info. I appreciate you all for your help.

The scope is a Weaver Grand Slam 4x10.  It is just a temp scope until I can get the one I want.
The only reason I picked it is because it had the finger adjustments for windage and elevation.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top