Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 10:07:38 AM EDT
Whats you opinion of the First Samco Handguards.  Fit tight?  Rails even?  Do they hold up well?  The gun store down the street has one in stock and I thought I'd ask everyone before I dropped the cash for it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on your purpose.  You couldn't put optics on them but if you are mounting only a vertical foregrip they should serve you just fine.  I've shot a Bushy with the M33 guards on with a KAC VG and the fit was tight.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a set of M-33. I use the top rail for a OKO sight and the bottom rail for a foregrip. The fit on my rifle is great, they fit tight and are holding up well. The top rail is holding the OKO well, I have not had to re-0.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got the M33's but haven't had a chance to mount anything to them but they seem really tight, at least the top half. As soon as I get my riser I'm going to mount my cheap BSA red dot on it to see what happens. I'll report back later if mounting an optic even just for target shooting like I'm going to be doing works or not.

BTW, I got these free from CMMG so if they don't work as intended I'm not out anything.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a set of M33s w/ the KAC vertical grip on my carbine and I think that they work well.  The fit is extremely tight, and there is no movement.  Why should I spend a lot more money on more expensive handguards when the M33s serve my purpose for about $50!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#7]
If it starts to move I will move the OKO back to the receiver. But as of know I am getting very little to no movement. been to range with it 5 or 6 times w/ 1000 rounds fired. Hell I did not think  I could go wrong for 35.00. Yes they were used
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I just went out and pulled my gun from the safe, I put a lot of tourque on the foregrip I was able to get the lower hadngaurd to move. I had never done that before. I can see with use it may get loose. When putting the tourque on the foregrip I did not notice any movement in the top handgaurd not at this time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had a set mounted on my M4gery for over a year with lot's of CQB simulations for work. No movement whatsoever. They fit a lot tighter than my M4 handguards did. Everybody want's to mount an opinion without field testing it first. First Samco M44's, field tested here they are just fine!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I did torque mine also and the bottom did move slightly. But....the top does not move. I use a dogleg type mount for my optics and I think that is the best solution. I am a federal agent and a reserve local officer, and yes my little brother has posted using this account, but he has his own now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Now under "normal" use it does not move. I had to twist and pull my forward grip with all of my 220 pounds behind it in order for it to move slightly. That in itself passes my torture test. But I guess after awhile it """""could""""" be an issue. I guess """then""" I will have to pony up real money for some GUCCI. I am so glad my times are being accurately recorded by a MODERATOR! Get a life. I'll probably get banned for that!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:21:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:51:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been a long time user of the M33 & M44 systems.

I still use the M33 for carbines that only need to mount a VFG and/or light.  Even then I only use the M33 for the lower handguard and a standard handguard for the upper.  If only they made the M1913 rails solid instead of notched in the center....

I had the M44s, they are fine for a light (particularly on the 20" rifles since the M33 isn't made for rifles) adn CQB useage of a VFG.  I found with the M44s and a VFG that it was easy to push the barrel causing a zero shift - probably due to the uneven pressure the M44s put on the barrel.  Oh the handguards seemed tight - but they put the barrel into some tension and pressure on the VFG caused the zero to wander - not enough to bother you for CQB - but enough to be a concern on longer range shooting.  The problem is very evident with lightweight barrels (especially the 20"ers).

Now that YHM has those nifty aluminum handguards I recomend them over the M44s.  The YHM's cost about the same as the Fobus M44s - offer the same kind of rails, but are more stabil, apply even pressure, and allow the bottom rail to be removed.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top