User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I've hunted in FL my whole life and I've found that wearing the orange vest only can sometimes be ineffective in the thick pine rows. I've seen other hunters move through and all you see of them was from  the neck up. I believe the combination of orange vest and orange hat is the safest bet.  IMO
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I hunt, and even wearing orangeI've been shot at TWICE. I dont use a stand I stalk or sit in a good spot. Both times were IDIOTS outside of Tallahassee shooting at movement or up fire roads.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#3]
There is no restriction on mag size in Texas with exception of migratory birds.  30-round mag is legal, but too heavy for me.  Hunter orange is not required on private land in Texas, and almost all Texas hunting land is private.  It's a good idea, but hunter orange is NEVER seen here.  

I actually hunt in a homemade ghillie suit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There is no restriction on mag size in Texas with exception of migratory birds.  30-round mag is legal, but too heavy for me.  Hunter orange is not required on private land in Texas, and almost all Texas hunting land is private.  It's a good idea, but hunter orange is NEVER seen here.  

Now I understand why we have so many problems with out of state hunters here in Colorado.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now I understand why we have so many problems with out of state hunters here in Colorado.

What are the problems?  hi-cap mags and no orange?  You'd think people would learn the laws before hunting in another state, but I can't say I'm surprised.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Newbie question.  Being in CA and not a hunter, I just have to ask...  What are requirements for firearms when hunting?  I thought (maybe only in CA) that you had to use a rifle that would only hold five rounds?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are the problems?  hi-cap mags and no orange?  You'd think people would learn the laws before hunting in another state, but I can't say I'm surprised.

I'll try to not step on too many toes here:

1)  Out of staters not knowing (or maybe not caring) about the laws:  
 a)  Not wearing orange hats & vests
 b)  Using rifles too small of a caliber.  In CO you must use at least a .24 caliber or larger (although in my personal opinion, for our mulies and elk you need at least a .30 caliber weapon).
 c)  Driving their OHV in places where they are prohibited by law

2)  Shooting at animals that are WAY too far away and wounding the animal and not bothering to try and track the animal to finish them off.

3)  General all around foolishness while hunting:
  a) Drinking
  b)  Acting like they are in their own back yard
  c) Lazy hunting, i.e. trying to drive their OHV to where they think is a good place to hunt.  When in fact all they have accomplished is spooking all the game in the areas they drove through (usually illegally).

In the areas I hunt, the majority of the out of staters are from Texas.  That doesn't make all Texans guilty of the above offenses.  But the offenses I listed above have all been committed by Texans.

I was just trying to say that if Texas had rules more in line with with rest of the US, maybe the problems I listed would not be quite so bad here in CO.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Having been a former resident of Texas, you'll find that Texas has far more problems (in addition to the ones outlined above) when it comes to laws.  For the life of me, I don't understand why the hostility to wearing orange?  If a Texan laughs at you because you are wearing orange, is he laughing because you look silly or is he laughing because you are doing everything you can to be safe and save yourself and possibly somebody else the grief?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll try to not step on too many toes here:

1)  Out of staters not knowing (or maybe not caring) about the laws:  
 a)  Not wearing orange hats & vests
 b)  Using rifles too small of a caliber.  In CO you must use at least a .24 caliber or larger (although in my personal opinion, for our mulies and elk you need at least a .30 caliber weapon).
 c)  Driving their OHV in places where they are prohibited by law

2)  Shooting at animals that are WAY too far away and wounding the animal and not bothering to try and track the animal to finish them off.

3)  General all around foolishness while hunting:
  a) Drinking
  b)  Acting like they are in their own back yard
  c) Lazy hunting, i.e. trying to drive their OHV to where they think is a good place to hunt.  When in fact all they have accomplished is spooking all the game in the areas they drove through (usually illegally).

In the areas I hunt, the majority of the out of staters are from Texas.  That doesn't make all Texans guilty of the above offenses.  But the offenses I listed above have all committed by Texans.

I was just trying to say that if Texas had rules more in line with with rest of the US, maybe the problems I listed would not be quite so bad here in CO.

You aren't stepping on my toes because I am an extremely conscientious hunter.  In fact, I posted about a month ago regarding some of these issues.  My point was that any putz can go to Wal-Mart, buy a hunting license, a single shot shotgun, and a box of shells.  Technically, it makes him a hunter but it does not make him a sportsman.

I believe anyone who breaks game laws should be prosecuted.  Unfortunately, some things you mention aren't illegal, but highly unethical.  I won't take a "Texas Heart Shot" (shooting at the southbound end of a northbound deer.)  I ALWAYS have enough gun.  I will not take any shot I can't make.  Alcohol and guns don't mix.  (duh)

I'm sorry to hear that Texas hunters have given you a bad opinion, but please be assured that this stereotype doesn't always fit.

And one final note about this comment
" I was just trying to say that if Texas had rules more in line with with rest of the US, maybe the problems I listed would not be quite so bad here in CO."

Are you advocating Texas create more gun laws?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just trying to say that if Texas had HUNTING rules more in line with with rest of the US, maybe the problems I listed would not be quite so bad here in CO.

You aren't stepping on my toes because I am an extremely conscientious hunter.  In fact, I posted about a month ago regarding some of these issues.  My point was that any putz can go to Wal-Mart, buy a hunting license, a single shot shotgun, and a box of shells.  Technically, it makes him a hunter but it does not make him a sportsman.

I believe anyone who breaks game laws should be prosecuted.  Unfortunately, some things you mention aren't illegal, but highly unethical.  I won't take a "Texas Heart Shot" (shooting at the southbound end of a northbound deer.)  I ALWAYS have enough gun.  I will not take any shot I can't make.  Alcohol and guns don't mix.  (duh)

I'm sorry to hear that Texas hunters have given you a bad opinion, but please be assured that this stereotype doesn't always fit.

And one final note about this comment
" I was just trying to say that if Texas had rules more in line with with rest of the US, maybe the problems I listed would not be quite so bad here in CO."

Are you advocating Texas create more gun laws?  

More gun laws?  No.
Improved hunting regs?  YES!!!!

I'm fairly certain the thread was in regard to hunting, not gun laws!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

GREAT SHOT MY MAN.........
or as they say in ALABAMA - - YOU DUN GUD...

Wrong - We say "YOU DUN DID DAM GUD!!!"  

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You must not value your life very much then.

we don't shoot at noises in the bushes, we actually wait to see if it's a deer

YOU might not, but what about the idiot that does? If you think its not a problem, then why is blaze orange required for many states?

being nieve will get you killed.

Not all states are like the free fire zones in the Eastern United States.  Don't be so provincial.  Some places you do not need fear someone shooting you while you hunt.

The number of places mandating something is never per se an indicator of usefulness or correctness.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Alrighty....now in what state is it legal to hunt with a 30 round magazine!!!????
it was my understanding that the legal size is 5 rds.
BTW,...please send jerky!!!

Kansas, for one.

I lived there for nine years, so I got to know the hunting laws pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Texas laws are just fine.  From what I have seen in my many visits to that fine state and having lived in many different areas of the US, most of the rest of the country is who needs to toe the line.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Newbie question.  Being in CA and not a hunter, I just have to ask...  What are requirements for firearms when hunting?  I thought (maybe only in CA) that you had to use a rifle that would only hold five rounds?

It depends.  Some states limit the capacity of hunting rifles and shotguns, some limit the capacity of rifles but not of shotguns, and some have no limitation at all.  There is one other player in this game: the Federal .gov.  They make the rules for hunting migratory birds (ducks, geese, sandhill cranes, doves, snipe, and woodcock) and your shotguns has to have a limiter plug in the magizine cutting capacity to two rounds when hunting those birds regardless of what state law says.

In some states, like Ohio, centerfire rifles are NOT allowed for big game hunting but they are legal for varmint hunting.  Big game must be taken with a shotgun firing slugs.  Stupid ass law that makes no sense.

In Kansas, my former home, your hunting rifle may have as much ammunition as you can fit in it.  If you want to tote an AK-47 clone with a 30 round magazine to hunt deer in Kansas, so be it.

There are no states that allow automatic rifles for any kind of hunting.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#16]
In UT, orange is required, you can hunt deer with any centerfire rifle, and there are no limits on mag size.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to re-hijack this thread, but I can't open the photos. What gives?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You must not value your life very much then.

we don't shoot at noises in the bushes, we actually wait to see if it's a deer

YOU might not, but what about the idiot that does? If you think its not a problem, then why is blaze orange required for many states?

being nieve will get you killed.

Not all states are like the free fire zones in the Eastern United States.  Don't be so provincial.  Some places you do not need fear someone shooting you while you hunt.

The number of places mandating something is never per se an indicator of usefulness or correctness.

Ignorance is bliss.

You can trash the East Coast or the South or Georgia or what ever, but if you think Ohio is perfect then I hope your six feet under is atleast comfortable.

This is beyond debate. If you think not wearing orange will somehow get you another deer, then you really have no clue.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Damn fine red x's.  Thats what I shoot at the range too.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I can't see the pictures.  It will not show on my computer.  What can I do?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top