Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 7:07:45 PM EDT
Had not spent any one on one time with my oldest son in a while so I checked him out of school early and went to the local indoor range. I am still waiting on my barrel to get here so I rented one of their bushies and took my Smith and Wesson 22a 7" barrel  with ProPoint red dot scope.

He had never shot an AR before so I let him warm up on the 22 pistol which he likes to shoot. While he was blasting away I smoked the Bushy over. Typical A2 setup with Orlite plastic 30 rd clip. Was kinda surprised with the clip, fed well and fit pretty good. I took a bunch of Winchester Q3131 ammo. I shot first and man, every time I shoot an AR it puts a smile on my face! Had one jam (stove pipe) and finished up my ammo. Then I turned it over to him.  Will it kick??? Shoot and see wimp!! (grinnning) He shot it and the smile on his face was worth it. He went through his ammo in short order so I went into the range shop and picked up some Wolf.  This stuff shot well? Had 1 jam with it as with the Winchester. I saved 2 boxes for last. I loaded up the thirty with my box and emptied it as fast as I could pull the trigger!! YEEEEHAWWWW!! This got the rangemasters attention. He came over and watched and thought he was going to ask to shoot!!

Then I loaded up the last box and told my son to lett'r fly. He popped off about 5 rounds and realized how much it climbed. Told him to hold it tight and he went through the rest as fast as he could.   He is still smiling and talking about it today!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
magazine magazine magazine

Glad you guys had fun
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Had company today, rolled out a Bushy, several 30 round mags, took a couple of the guys out back, set up a target and,,,,,,zero malfunctions, perfect, as a offensive weapon should be...

Blackhorse
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
omg.....he said "clip" didn't he. had
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#4]
nice!

go out to the range more often, but watch the wallet as 5.56 ammo can get expensive

Ps: its "mag", not clip
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]
nice!

go out to the range more often, but watch the wallet as 5.56 ammo can get expensive

Ps: its "mag", not clip
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:02:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Daughters!  Don't forget your daughters!  My oldest (still a teenager) is a died in the wool liberal college 'chick' who thinks I was born just shy of the stone age.  But, she LOVES to shoot and is already talking about competing in local IPSC fun shoots.  We went to the Atlanta gun show yesterday and she spent lots of time 'trying on' various pistols.  I think she/I settled on one of the new SA XD in 9mm as a starter (she already has a Ruger 22/45).  Earlier in the year I took her to a show and she was fascinated by the Mosin Nagants that one dealer had stacked at his table.  I bought her one - a 1944 carbine -and took her shooting.  Although she shoots off the rest, she has no trouble handling the recoil (OK, OK, the slip-on pad helps he
My point is this - I have a liberal daughter who supports gun rights.  She views it as empowering the sisterhood.  While I can't change her views on Kerry, I do get to put one in the win column for creating a pro-gunner.

Please, please - if you have a daughter (or girlfriend), take them shooting!

BWH  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:54:40 AM EDT
[#7]
It's good to see a parent and child at the range. I went yesterday there was a Dad there with his 2 Daughters between 8-10 years old they had a blast. My kids never wanted to go shooting and I didn't force them. Now that my oldest is grown and in the Service he has a different view. He's coming home on leave around Christmas and we have a day at the range planned. I waited for this for a long time. Now if I can get his Sister to come along.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:07:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I am looking forward to me and my little guys going out fer a shoot . I can't wait , I talk about safety all the time with them and they listen . Thats a good thing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:10:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Started taking my son to the range with me about a year ago. He's completely "into" shooting now. Loves to shoot and he loves to hunt. What more could a dad ask for? When he came to me and asked to go to the range with me, my heart leaped for joy...It was one of the best (And easiest)decisions I have made as a parent.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I have no daughters, only 3 sons.  Magazine..... Sorry.... Was not knocking the Bushy, No telling when it had been cleaned.  Was actually quite impressed with it over some of the Colts i have seen.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#12]
daughters is right, since our range is just out the back door of our house, me and my two girls(6and 10) shoot all the time, they each enjoy shooting and hunting, started them out on a single shot 22lr, but now their getting into shooting the ARs and pistols more( they each like the car 15 A3, so I'm building another), only grief I get from them is when they have to load mags to use and when we run out of 556 ammo, hell I think I got a bigger smile on my face than they do when they make a great shot, had my sisters two sons this past summer and got them started with some safe gun handling skills, and now their becoming decent shots, my girls laugh at them all the time when they miss an easy shot, but they also laugh at me!, I'm hoping that as they get older they will still enjoy it as much as they do now, and someday pass it on to their kids.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Please, please - if you have a daughter... take them shooting!

I have 2 daughters.  Ages 2 1/2 and 1 month.  Should I give them a go?  LOL  j/k.

Can't wait until they're old enough to go to the range w/ me.  Until then, I'm going to get my wife to go w/ me!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top