BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 4:21:04 PM EDT
From the function check page:

"SEMI
Place the selector on SEMI. Pull the trigger and hold to the rear. The hammer should fall. Continue to hold the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear, and release it, Release the trigger with a slow, smooth motion until the trigger is fully forward. The hammer should not fall. Pull the trigger. The hammer should fall."

Mine DOES fall when the trigger is released. Any idea what would be causing this? It's resulting in the occasional "2 round burst" when I pull and release the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The disconnector is out of spec/out of time.

Try another if you are not up on adjusting it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The disconnector is out of spec/out of time.

Try another if you are not up on adjusting it.

+1
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a new trigger set with the disconnector, trigger and hammer from Bushmaster.  Sometimes the mating surfaces break off right at the tips of the disconnector and hammer and the situation you describe occurs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I just had to send my hammer and trigger back to where I bought it. Each time I fired my AR I would get 2-3 round bursts. I found where the hammer meets the trigger was to shallow. If I held the trigger back the hammer would come back after a round was fired and the disconnector would hold it but when I released the trigger the hammer would drop and not catch on the trigger.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
From the function check page:

"SEMI
Place the selector on SEMI. Pull the trigger and hold to the rear. The hammer should fall. Continue to hold the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear, and release it, Release the trigger with a slow, smooth motion until the trigger is fully forward. The hammer should not fall. Pull the trigger. The hammer should fall."

Mine DOES fall when the trigger is released. Any idea what would be causing this? It's resulting in the occasional "2 round burst" when I pull and release the trigger.

Check if there is anything sitting under the back of the trigger bar (near the selector) between the receiver floor and the trigger bar.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Have had the same problem with a DPMS lower.  If you have not filed on the hammer or trigger contact surfaces, try this.  Pull your trigger pin and check to see if it is slightly bent.  If bent, it will not allow the disconnector to fully engage when the pin slightly rotates.  I contacted DPMS and told them about the bent pin and they immediately denied any responsibility.  Like I said, roll the pin on a flat surface and check for trueness.  If it is bent, I simply straightened mine and then swapped the hammer pin and the trigger pin.  No problems since.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Adjust the disconnect to hammer engagement............TOO SHALLOW....

This repair should take you no more than 15 minute to correct.  

I have seen 1 recently where the disconnect shelf on the hammer was chipped along with the disconnect hook, and the gun would "rattle"....  seen another where the hammer spring legs were placed wrong, trigger pin walk out and trigger get sideways, gun would double/triple.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Adjust the disconnect to hammer engagement............TOO SHALLOW....

This repair should take you no more than 15 minute to correct.  

I have seen 1 recently where the disconnect shelf on the hammer was chipped along with the disconnect hook, and the gun would "rattle"....  seen another where the hammer spring legs were placed wrong, trigger pin walk out and trigger get sideways, gun would double/triple.

Thanks for all the responses guys. SBR7, how do I make this adjustment? If I find time today I'll try to do the pin check/swap that mpearcex suggested. Is there anything else I should try while I'm at it? As cute as my make believe m16 fire mode is, it's not really wanted on my semi-auto plinker.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Have had the same problem with a DPMS lower.  If you have not filed on the hammer or trigger contact surfaces, try this.  Pull your trigger pin and check to see if it is slightly bent.  If bent, it will not allow the disconnector to fully engage when the pin slightly rotates.  I contacted DPMS and told them about the bent pin and they immediately denied any responsibility.  Like I said, roll the pin on a flat surface and check for trueness.  If it is bent, I simply straightened mine and then swapped the hammer pin and the trigger pin.  No problems since.  Good luck.

Update: it was exactly what you said, the trigger pin had a bend... the hammer pin was perfectly straight so I just swapped them and viola, no more hammer falling on trigger release. Good diagnosis! Thank you!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top