Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 8:26:27 PM EDT
How do you get a buffer tube off a lower.  I can't get it!!!

Mac,

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#1]
An A2 tube or a tele-stock tube?  If it is an A2 tube, from the factory, it will take A LOT of torque to get it off......
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#2]
A2 from the factory.  How should I get it off?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Just wrap some duct tape around the tube and get some vise-grips and you'll be all set. Lefty loosey, righty tighty.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sometimes the screw that holds the stock on to the buffer tube (or receiver extention ) is lock tighted, but I dont know if I have ever seen the tube itself lock tighted. All the ones I have ever taken off came undone pretty easily with a left turn of the wrench?

I have seen more than one pre 94 with RED locktite on the threads.
Use chuck pads, put the receiver in a vice(don't crush it), and use a quality wrench on the flat at the rear of the tube, a little muscle,  and you should have no problem.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Put your shoulder into it.  Quit being a sissy boy.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't get it.  I heard a weird pop sound and I thought I had it, but nope the grip just loosened up.  There is no way in hell I am going to get that damn thing off.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#10]
If you don't want to scratch it up try some of those rubber strap wrenches. I have used them to get valves off of co2 and nitrogen tanks. And they are usually torqued on pretty damn tight with red locktite.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you don't want to scratch it up try some of those rubber strap wrenches. I have used them to get valves off of co2 and nitrogen tanks. And they are usually torqued on pretty damn tight with red locktite.

I already scratched the tube, made it kinda hard to get the stock on, but I don't care.  I'll just leave it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I GOT IT!!!!

Now how do I get the pin that stops the buffer to stay in.  It has this spring thing.

Wow, I am smart!!!  

Took long enough.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Now how do I get the pin that stops the buffer to stay in.  It has this spring thing.

From the instructions over in AR15 BIY forum

Thread the rifle/carbine buffer tube slowly into the receiver... taking care with the takedown pin spring. The tube should be threaded in just up to the buffer hole.... and then insert the buffer stop pin and spring:
http://www.kevinholman.com/byor/lower/bufferpin1.jpg

Then thread the tube a little more, so that it holds the pin in place, but does not touch the center part of the pin and bind its movement:
http://www.kevinholman.com/byor/lower/bufferpin2.jpg
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top