Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 7:19:39 PM EDT
After months of lurking and hours upon hours of reading posts, I think I have finally decided on a configuration for my first AR.  Looking for : 16" m4 profile, A3 flat top w/ det. carry handle, 6 pos stock.  I'm leaning towards the DPMS AP4 Panther Carbine as this seems to cover all the bases without any changes- does anyone know where the best place to order from is, or is there another weapon to consider.  The $850 msrp is about as much as i can spend on the rifle.  Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Piece it together. Use an upper from CMMG, its much better but still not overpriced.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I would piece it together as well. Look in the EE, especially used section. I have seen complete uppers(bushmaster/RR/ETC.) go for $425 with only 200-300 rounds fired. You could probably build a Bushy for around $700 or less from slightly used parts.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#3]
model1sales.com complete kit as you described: $595
Stag lower from Eagle Firearms: $85
total= $680
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Close to what Jimmy said...but

Kit $595. Does this include shipping? If not add $20

Stag Lower $85 plus transfer fee, plan on $25, plus the background check fee, if any, in your state, plus sales tax.

Plan on adding another $50 or $60 bucks.

total $680 plus $60= $740...still not half bad.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Plus he'll have to buy the right tools and a good manual to put it together. I've put kits together with only normal tools, but you mite as well buy an armorers wrench.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Piece it together. Use an upper from CMMG, its much better but still not overpriced.

Affirm, that way you get a spaced/ test fired upper for a good price.  A Mega lower receiver with guts and adjustable stock is only $200 (plus shiping).

The only change I would make is that I wouldn't get the carry handle, I would get a decent BUIS/ Back Up Iron Sight like the ARMS 40 instead.  Sooner or later, everone puts an optic on, then the $80-100 for the carry handle was wasted.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, here's what I did. I bought a Ameetec lower for $90, a RRA LPK for $54, a RRA M4 6 pos. stock for $69 both from Eagle Firearms, a Hogue grip for $14 and I'm going to complete it with a CMMG chrome lined M4 upper for $500. Add about $25 for all the shipping so $750 for the whole gun that is definetely a higher quality gun than Model1, M&A or J&T and probably a little better than DPMS you talked about.

I was considering a kit as well, in fact from Model 1 but after doing a lot of research I decided on my current plan. I believe for not much more $$ I'll have a much better gun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Plus he'll have to buy the right tools and a good manual to put it together. I've put kits together with only normal tools, but you mite as well buy an armorers wrench.

If he only builds a lower he won't even need the manual, the write up here by Falarak is excellent, that's all I used last night when I built my first lower, well that a hammer, needle nose pliers, vise grips and a nail. You don't even need a punch set to build a lower.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#9]
You can build a rifle for cheaper. I was looking around on RRA's site and they sell the a4 uppers with a2 sights and a a2 stock for ~850$ when you can get their lower for 250$ and the upper for 400$.

I am looking into piecing a lower together. Parents are getting me the A4 upper for xmas. Now I just need to see if I can build a lower for less than 250$. BUT if you but the complete lower you get a lifetime warranty. Can't beat that with a stick.

RRA has forged lowers assembled with a 6 position stock for 275$ I called today and there is a 8-10 week wait on lowers. 4-6 on uppers. Like I mentioned above you could build the rifle you want through them for 675$ and have a great warranty.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks for all the replies, i will look into these other options.  My thinking was that saving a hundred bucks by using a kit was not worth trading for a factory gun with a warranty, but it seems as though i can probably build a higher quality weapon for the same or less money.  We have a gun show coming to Reno on the 12th, i will probably try to pick up a lower or two and go from there.  Thanks for the input.  I know that this is a stupid question, but does anywhere have lowers or uppers in stock?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#11]
build your own if you are on a tight budget

MEGA lower from carricozarmory.com--$89 + ffl transfer fees

m-4/CAR kit form JTD--~$500-$600
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:55:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I did the same, shopped for kits and lowers.  I put together what I wanted and had a great price for my build which was an A4 20".  I was going to use Stag Lower and M&A kit.  Then I did some shopping for a complete rifle.  Well I found a new in the box RR A4 no ban shipped for $65 more than what the kit was going to cost and that is figuring in the cost of the 2 stage trigger which RR's come with and the shipping.  With the complete rifle I got RR's lifetime guarantee and their lower with the 2 stage and the whole thing is already put together.  Will I build one in the future? You Bet but for what I wanted this time I think the xtra few bucks was worth the built rifle.  

By the way the Folks at M&A were very helpful and Chris @ EagleFirearms who was also very helpful sealed the deal on the rifle and they had one in stock!

Just my .02
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:11:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#14]
The assembled mega lower with the 6 pos. stock is what i'm now leaning towards.  If i was to add an assembled upper half to this, what other parts would I need to complete it?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top