Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 4:56:50 AM EDT
Situation:  God help us if it happens, but IF Kerry wins, he MAY be able to reinstate the AWB.  I am trying to put a few more AR-15's in my collection before that possibility arises.

Question:  How much of a weapon would I have to have in place to be grandfathered under a new AWB (assume the conditions of the first one, or others if you have a basis for different assumptions)?  By an FFL I have been told that I would need to have just the built-out lowers with pistol grips and collapsible stocks.  On the other hand I have heard that each weapon would have to be fully built out (upper and lower, able to fire a round) ahead of any reinstatement.  Finally, would one upper cover multiple lowers?????

Thanks, and please stick to the facts or state that your reply is pure speculation!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:07:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The law is DEAD.  It cannot be reinstated.  A new law would have to be passed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:17:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:18:06 AM EDT
[#3]
It has to be fully built and test fired.  Otherwise it's considered a parts kit and gets no protection under the law.  You should get pics and seal them up, and mail them to yourself, and notorize them, and have Montel Williams run his nuts across them too!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The law is DEAD.  It cannot be reinstated.  A new law would have to be passed.

yup, right on mongo
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:31:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think there will ever be another "cosmetic" law again.  I think the Anti's learned their lesson the first time and when/if (God forbid) there is another AWB then I am sure they will close the "loop holes".  Get'em while you can.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...and have Montel Williams run his nuts across them too!

This part is the that is MOST important!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#7]
classic
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#8]
So anyone have Montel's address.?  Looks like I'll need to borrow his nutsack to seal the envelopes!  Gotta watch those paper cuts!hock.gif
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#9]
>It has to be fully built and test fired. Otherwise it's considered a parts kit and gets no protection
>under the law.

I thought that if you had every single part needed to build an AW on 9/13/1994, it was considered a grandfathered gun.

There's no way they could prove (without your help) a gun wasn't built if you had all the parts...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
>It has to be fully built and test fired. Otherwise it's considered a parts kit and gets no protection
>under the law.

I thought that if you had every single part needed to build an AW on 9/13/1994, it was considered a grandfathered gun.

There's no way they could prove (without your help) a gun wasn't built if you had all the parts...

You should have deduced that my entire post was totally sarcastic.  But I guess if you couldn't figure that out, there's no way you know what deduced means either.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#11]
JOHN piece of shit KERRY  already has the bill ready to go. The next semi auto bill will ban all semi auto shotguns and rifles not just a feature ban.  

John Kerry--That Dog Don`t Hunt (view the ad)

His voting record makes John F. Kerry the most anti-gun Presidential nominee in United States history. Since his election to the U.S. Senate in 1984, John F. Kerry has cast 59 votes (NRA did not score 4 of them) on issues involving firearms rights and hunting. These votes included votes to ban guns, to impose waiting periods on gun buyers, to financially punish gun manufacturers for operating a legal business and to restrict the free speech of Second Amendment advocates.

In addition, Kerry currently is a co-sponsor of S. 1431, which would ban all semi-automatic shotguns, all detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifles and many other guns, calling the whole lot "assault weapons." Read more
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#12]
if that bastard bans all semi autos....I hope WE are ready to fight back!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Kerry is not going to win. Bush is up in Ohio, and Florida right now. He wins those two states, he gets four more years, simple as that. Besides, the house will still be Republican controlled, and looks like the dems are losing a seat in the senate as well. Doesn't look likely that a new ban will have nearly the votes it needs. Besides, if Kerry signed that semi auto bill into law, it would be political suicide. Before with the AWB you had all the Black rifle enthusiasts pissed, ban the semi auto duck guns, and all hell will break loose. There may not be a dem in congress for decades,
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Has everybody forgoten the "Executive Order"

I wouldnt put it past Kerry as the 1st think he does if he wins!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#15]
the only way we will see a similar ban in the future is if we lay down and take it in the ass.  It can only happen if WE LET IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I need at least 4 years to purchase everything I need............
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Executive order? The other Dems wouldn't let him do that. It would kill the whole party for years. Even Kerry isn't that stupid.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Kerry is not going to win. Bush is up in Ohio, and Florida right now. He wins those two states, he gets four more years, simple as that. Besides, the house will still be Republican controlled, and looks like the dems are losing a seat in the senate as well. Doesn't look likely that a new ban will have nearly the votes it needs. Besides, if Kerry signed that semi auto bill into law, it would be political suicide. Before with the AWB you had all the Black rifle enthusiasts pissed, ban the semi auto duck guns, and all hell will break loose. There may not be a dem in congress for decades,

I wish I could agree with you but many of them are wusses! Thet sold us out in 86 on the MG ban & in 94 AWB now they are gonna stand & fight? Only when it affects them?

Oh well, a day too late & dollars to short!

Well they may be allowed to have a 3 shot pump or a Dbl barrel Shotgun! The sheep wil accept that!

Soon It will be "Sniper Rifle" Legislation to ban high power precision "Sniper" rifles

It's Comming!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Has everybody forgoten the "Executive Order"

I wouldnt put it past Kerry as the 1st think he does if he wins!

I have not forgotten about Executive Orders.

You, OTOH, need to learn how they work.

EOs have to have a basis on Public Law, or else they are null and void.

A President can't issue an EO on a subject on which he has no authority to do so.  There is no law making the possesion of semi automatic firearms illegal.  The only law which might be close is the Gun Control Act of 86, which gives the Director of the BATF the autority to regulate the IMPORT of firearms which do not pass some ill-defined sporting purpose test.  In any event, such a provision of the GCA68 does not apply to US made arms.

In fact, every Executive Order has this phrase in it:

NOW, THEREFORE, by the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America

I guess Kerry could issue an EO banning semi-auto guns, but I doubt he would be so stupid as to sign something that would be struck down at the lowest level of court appeals.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Lots of Ammo!!  Several good guns, improvised explosives, medical supplies, good training and the list goes on.
If Kerry bans guns than the Second Revolutionary War is on!   Supply now before its too late.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I need at least 4 years to purchase everything I need............hr

I HEAR YOU!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#22]
What the hell is wrong with everybody? We have the power to keep Bush in office. Kerry is not going to win so spend your time thinking of new AR's you want, not what AR's you won't be able to have.

I don't even think the libs have the balls to try an all out ban, unless they want a gun owners riot in America. They just try to chip the 2nd ammendment apart little by little. I for one will not roll over and surrender anything.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I didn't see civilians fighting in the streets after the machine gun ban of 05/19/1986. But ive seen a lot of people selling ones made before the cut off for a f--n ton of money . BETTER TO HAVE AND NOT NEED THAN TO NEED AND NOt HAVE . All i'm saying is stock up now on extra mags and recvrs  fal, ak ,g3,ar15 ect . because if the is ever an out right ban on ar15 not post ban but a true ban  on all semi auto military style rifles ar15 will be at $5000.00  within a week and go up from there.  ( shoot, buy , have fun and vote )
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I need at least 4 years to purchase everything I need............

Yeah...me, too!

-John
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#25]
S1431 is an invalid bill number.

Quoted:
JOHN piece of shit KERRY  already has the bill ready to go. The next semi auto bill will ban all semi auto shotguns and rifles not just a feature ban.  

John Kerry--That Dog Don`t Hunt (view the ad)

His voting record makes John F. Kerry the most anti-gun Presidential nominee in United States history. Since his election to the U.S. Senate in 1984, John F. Kerry has cast 59 votes (NRA did not score 4 of them) on issues involving firearms rights and hunting. These votes included votes to ban guns, to impose waiting periods on gun buyers, to financially punish gun manufacturers for operating a legal business and to restrict the free speech of Second Amendment advocates.

In addition, Kerry currently is a co-sponsor of S. 1431, which would ban all semi-automatic shotguns, all detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifles and many other guns, calling the whole lot "assault weapons." Read more

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Instead of worrying about a new AW ban, we need to be petitioning gun lobby groups to begin pressuring lawmakers to repeal the import ban of 1989 and the NFA act of 1986.

Both of these laws restrict our constitutional rights as much as the AWB or '94 did, if not more.

Let's go back to pre-1986 America gun laws I say.

Oh yeah, IBTL.  This is not specifically AR related.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#27]
From the mouth of the Poodle himself:

"The Assault Weapons ban is up for renewal next year and under President George W. Bush it could expire. With statistics showing that one in five law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty were killed with assault weapons, we need a President who will ensure that the ban gets extended. I will do just that."

http://blog.johnkerry.com/blog/archives/000647.html
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#28]
What really sucks is who is going to run for the democrats in 4 more years if Kerry doesn't win. Just think about it. Hillary Clinton? Who are the Republicans going to put up against her? Think about that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I guess Kerry could issue an EO banning semi-auto guns, but I doubt he would be so stupid as to sign something that would be struck down at the lowest level of court appeals.

Oh & you really think the courts would do that? When you give them something so big as that, you think they are going to overturn it! NOT!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What really sucks is who is going to run for the democrats in 4 more years if Kerry doesn't win. Just think about it. Hillary Clinton? Who are the Republicans going to put up against her? Think about that.

Sean Hannity...........He has already said that he would do it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

maybe Rudy Giuliani(sp?)
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
There is no way to predict what any new AWB would have for terms so it's basically impossible to answer your question, my guess it that any fully assembled AR would be grandfathered in, but it's kind of a "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" question.

Yup...Once again Aimless hits the nail on the head.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It has to be fully built and test fired.  Otherwise it's considered a parts kit and gets no protection under the law.  You should get pics and seal them up, and mail them to yourself, and notorize them, and have Montel Williams run his nuts across them too!

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#34]
The difference between the AWB Bill, NFA Bill of 1986, etc. and an all-out ban on almost anything semi-automatic is the number of people it affects. There are literally millions of hunters using semi-automatic shotguns. Making them turn their favorite duck or deer gun in is going to create one of the largest backlashes in recent history. The reason S. 1431 won't pass is that it's political suicide for whoever votes for it simply because it directly affects too many of your constituants. Besides the moment you try to enforce the law, you're dealing with a 2nd and 4th Amendment violation that just might be big enough to launch a test case and finally incorporate the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I don't think there will ever be another "cosmetic" law again.  I think the Anti's learned their lesson the first time and when/if (God forbid) there is another AWB then I am sure they will close the "loop holes".  Get'em while you can.

I agree the anti's will try to close the loopholes but if Congress is controlled by the repubs I don't believe a true ban bill will pass. Didn't something like 20 Congressmen lose their job over the ban. Politicians remeber things like that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#36]
http://nraila.com/
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Instead of worrying about a new AW ban, we need to be petitioning gun lobby groups to begin pressuring lawmakers to repeal the import ban of 1989 and the NFA act of 1986.

Both of these laws restrict our constitutional rights as much as the AWB or '94 did, if not more.

Let's go back to pre-1986 America gun laws I say.

I agree that we need to go back, but we need to go back further than that...all 1986 did was eliminate guns that I wouldn't buy anyways, not because I don't want them, but I refuse to participate in the circa 1934 registration system that we have today. All 1986 did was drive the prices to insane levels...but it was still a pain in the ass in 1985 to buy a MG.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top