Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 9:53:06 AM EDT
Hi all, I finally got around to cleaning my AR last night after shooting almost half a case of 55 grain Wolf through it.  The reciever was filthy, as were the bolt and carrier.  But the barrel came clean FAST, much faster than I expected.  A few passes with a brush alternating with a few passes with wet and dry patches, and the barrel looked fine.  Patches weren't picking up any more powder, and I didn't want to mess with copper solvent (it was getting late), so I reassembled and put it back in the gun room.  It probably took me less than ten minutes to do the barrel.

The barrel on my setup is a CMMG chrome lined.  I believe they are made by DPMS for CMMG.  Twist rate is 1 in 7.  My previous barrel was chrome moly, not chrome lined, and I used to take nearly an hour cleaning just the barrel as best I could, and it would still have traces of crap in there (especially copper fouling) afterwards.  

Does anyone else think chrome lined barrels are faster to clean?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I thought one of the benefits to chrome lining was easier cleaning. I'm glad to hear that is the case. I'm going to be ordering an upper from CMMG myself pretty soon.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Does anyone else think chrome lined barrels are faster to clean?

Yes. Pretty much the main reason I choose to go with chrome-lined barrels for my AR rifles.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Definitely easier.  I have both.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have both.

Ban both!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#5]

It'll take half the time to clean the chrome lined barrel

I usally go through less then 6 patches
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top