Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 5:52:49 AM EDT
Anybody have any suggestions for some good reading,

I've got the Black Rifle 1 & 2 but what are some other good reference books that actually have good information in them.

Not looking for any "how to" books. looking for the "history of the weapon" books.

Need to find the specifics on the early models, I know plenty about the newer stuff, looking for the earlier models both Military and Civilian.

Name some titles and where to get the if possible.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Does'nt anybody read anymore?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
not ar specific, but higly recommended volumes for students of military small arms:

small arms of the world, edited by joseph smith (earlier editions) and edward ezell (later editions)
not in print anymore, but common on ebay.  

assault rifles of the world, edited by daniel musgrave.  i dont think this has been in print since 1967.  its got a lot of historical info on various assault rifles since 1942.  seen it once on ebay.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:37:06 AM EDT
[#5]
you are on the right track, but for good general info i recomend "The AR-15 Complete Owners Guide by Walt Kuleck & Scott Duff.., in it you will find info mostly on COLT AR-15s, S/N range for different model numbers etc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
History?

"The Armalite AR-10" by Sam Pikula
"The M16 rifle and its cartridge" David Hughes
"The SPIW, the deadliest weapon that never was." Stevens and Ezell
"The Great Rifle Controversy" Ezell
"The M16 controversies" McNaugher

SAR/MGN has a lot of good stuff in some of their issues, back issues are available.

Amazon has this neat search function too.

Tweak I can't believe you forgot Hatcher's Notebook  Technical stuff on firearms & ballistics along with a bit of history of US Army rifle developement (there is a short note on the AR-15 in the back).

Long out of print but you can still find them - I got mine from Amazon.com IIRC.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top