Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 5:36:58 AM EDT
Are set screw front sight bases just as stable as pinned on? Anybody use the Yankee Hill Machine kinds?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Are set screw front sight bases just as stable as pinned on? Anybody use the Yankee Hill Machine kinds?

Hell no - not even close.

Generally the order for stability is (most to least)
1) Pinned with taper pins.
2) Clamp on
3) Set Screws

One company epoxies on their FSBs for their DCM Match rifles.  It's stabil but it's not a easy on/easy off setup.

I would never use a set screw FSB on any of my rifles that I needed to run 100%.  If I used a set screw FSB on a 'plinking rifle' then I'd drill dimples for the set screws to fit into (making them more like pins).
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
What Forest said

Whenever I get the money I will have many uppers.  Lightweights, 24 inch varminters, Hbars, most freefloated, most flattops, but ALL will have standard A2 pinned front sight base.  Even 24 inch varmint rifle.  

Theres no better way to have a guaranteed front sight and the FSB hurts nothign but like 1 oz of weight.  You will never see it through an optic other than red dots, and even then it wont hurt anything.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top